What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Klas, I think I saw on Newegg that an Asus support rep replied the limit for reserved addresses is 16.

I am curious as to why they pulled 1.0.1.5. It seems to be the best one so far. Perhaps they do not want to admit VPN and HW NAT acceleration issue?

Klas, I think I saw on Newegg that an Asus support rep replied the limit for reserved addresses is 16.

I am curious as to why they pulled 1.0.1.5. It seems to be the best one so far. Perhaps they do not want to admit VPN and HW NAT acceleration issue?

well I am only able to enter 8 addresses with 1.0.1.5

Try this, save your configuration. Reset the router to default configuration, and then try past eight IP allocations. I do not doubt that you cannot, but it may be worth a try. Here is the reply from the support team:

Pros: Looks, speed, GUI, dual band. Signal was great thru out my home for internet use. Speed on 2.4 & 5G were great. Easily setup.

Cons: I think only 7 or 8 IP's reserved. Not good. Then my problem when running Dual band mode HD and non HD streams would drop, freeze continually. Tried single band 5G still no change. Installed newest Firmware no change. RMAed after that.

Other Thoughts: This was to replaced my DGL-4500 which works great but I can't run 2.4g & 5G at the same time. Since I wanted to stream HD video I needed the 5G but I had my Iphone 3 and printer that wouldn't work on the 5G. So in order to runs all my devices I needed this. My DGL-4500 when streaming at 5G never once in 2 months has it drop an show even if my wife is watching a video stream in the other room. but we need the printer and Iphone and that's why I got this router. But it didn't work out.

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Valued Customer,

This router supports up to 16 IP addresses. Please contact us at 812-282-2787 so we can get more information about your network environment and assist you in resolving this issue.

Best Regards,

ASUS Support Team

Jacques dityoupp

Just discovered limitation that I am not too happy about. I can only reserve IP address for 8 devices! Then I get error "This table only allow 8 items"

Quick question how and where do I even reserve IP adresses on this router? The interface is kinda funky and I'm not sure where it is I look under DCHP but it does not let me change anything..

Advanced Settings/LAN/DHCP Server

Toggle "Enable Manual Assignment?" to enable the assignment of addresses. In the field place the MAC and address for the reservation.

Router (Disable NAT) mode

Has anyone here got the "Router(Disable NAT)" operation mode to work on this? I've wasted the last day trying to get this to work so that I can use this router as a bridge connection to both wired and wireless clients but nothing I've tried seems to work... At this point, I'm wondering if I got a defective unit. Asus customer service is HORRIBLE btw... Tech support is non-existent. You call them and after going through automated menus to "wireless routers" and holding for ten minutes, you get a rep who tells you that you've reached motherboard support and that someone will call you back within 24 hours... After no one calls you back and you call back, they then promise you that someone will call back within one hour. An hour later when you call back, they'll apologize for the inconvenience and state that all they can do is take your information down and someone will call back when someone's available. If you press them, they will tell you that they only have THREE TECHNICIANS AVAILABLE FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD and ask you to be patient!!!! Who knows if these three are even networking technicians. I'm still waiting for a single call back but I've lost hope. Horrendous!

Anyway, I've tried everything I could find scouring the net but so far, no luck. If anyone here has gotten the router mode to work (IP sharing (default) mode and wireless access point mode seem to work as intended) please let me know and share how you configured it. Thanks.

Sinman02, you have two routers and need to make sure that the two networks, if so, can communicate with each other. Personally, I rather take what is the better device and expand the network from it by adding switches. Rather, than having two separate networks. Unless I need to subnet, but I do not see a reason to do such with a personal network.

You may be able to solve your issue by simple placing a route in the table. Under Advanced Setting (should be settings damn Engrish), LAN, Route place a route to the network of the next router you are trying to connect to. If the routers are on the same network then you just need to configure the IP's correctly, but I would rather two networks in this situation because each router interface requires a separate network or subnet. E.g. 1st router can be 192.168.0.1 and then the RT-N56U can be 192.168.1.1. Place a route in the table of the RT-N56U for 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1, 1, Use the interface rule for what port you used to connect. You can check the table by using Advanced Setting, System Log, Routing Table. Strange that the RT-56NU does not support RIP.

Anyways give that a try.....

Wake on lan, anyone?

I have tried to no avail to get wake on lan working with my asus rt-n56u. This is a fantastic router but i just can NOT get this to work over the wan port. Anyone else experience this?

Strangely on the lan, I get WOL to work just fine. But doing it outside of home? No dice. Is this a bug?

edit: i'm using 1.0.1.4 firmware.

Has anyone here got the "Router(Disable NAT)" operation mode to work on this? I've wasted the last day trying to get this to work so that I can use this router as a bridge connection to both wired and wireless clients but nothing I've tried seems to work... At this point, I'm wondering if I got a defective unit. Asus customer service is HORRIBLE btw... Tech support is non-existent. You call them and after going through automated menus to "wireless routers" and holding for ten minutes, you get a rep who tells you that you've reached motherboard support and that someone will call you back within 24 hours... After no one calls you back and you call back, they then promise you that someone will call back within one hour. An hour later when you call back, they'll apologize for the inconvenience and state that all they can do is take your information down and someone will call back when someone's available. If you press them, they will tell you that they only have THREE TECHNICIANS AVAILABLE FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD and ask you to be patient!!!! Who knows if these three are even networking technicians. I'm still waiting for a single call back but I've lost hope. Horrendous!

Anyway, I've tried everything I could find scouring the net but so far, no luck. If anyone here has gotten the router mode to work (IP sharing (default) mode and wireless access point mode seem to work as intended) please let me know and share how you configured it. Thanks.

We have the RT-N56U working as a wired router/nat disabled to extend wireless clients and provide wired access to other clients, as well as NAS and a server for an aging workhorse HP LasterJet Printer.

Agree that Asus support of this router is lacking.

We are Cat5 wired on lan side of Asus to Buffalo main router; On the Asus, DHCP set disabled; lan address of Asus is set by Buffalo (192.168.11.101, outside DHCP addresses of Buffalo (192.168.11.2-66); Wan connection type set to automatic ip, and rest of wan disabled (Buffalo is gateway to internet, Asus acting as AP, Switch NAS, and Print Server.)

Essentially, the Asus is set up as a wired AP, with the wireless using the same SSID and Security as the main Buffalo. Works fine for our limited purposes, with a very strong wireless extension and great convenience with the NAS and printer in the family room.

Hope this helps:)

Sinman02, you have two routers and need to make sure that the two networks, if so, can communicate with each other. Personally, I rather take what is the better device and expand the network from it by adding switches. Rather, than having two separate networks. Unless I need to subnet, but I do not see a reason to do such with a personal network.

You may be able to solve your issue by simple placing a route in the table. Under Advanced Setting (should be settings damn Engrish), LAN, Route place a route to the network of the next router you are trying to connect to. If the routers are on the same network then you just need to configure the IP's correctly, but I would rather two networks in this situation because each router interface requires a separate network or subnet. E.g. 1st router can be 192.168.0.1 and then the RT-N56U can be 192.168.1.1. Place a route in the table of the RT-N56U for 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1, 1, Use the interface rule for what port you used to connect. You can check the table by using Advanced Setting, System Log, Routing Table. Strange that the RT-56NU does not support RIP.

Anyways give that a try.....

Shikami, thank you very much for your advice... Unfortunately, I'm a novice user and don't completely understand your suggested instructions. I'll try to elaborate on what I'm trying to do. Hopefully you can give me some step by step instructions on how to accomplish this.

First, I'll explain my setup: I have a cable modem and connected to a DIR 655 router in the basement of my three level house (basement, first level, second level). I'd like to use the DIR 655 router located in my basement to act as the host router and use my RT-N56U (RT) as both a wired and wireless extention for my network for the first and second levels of my house (my office and bedrooms are on the second level). I am able to get the RT connected in IP Sharing mode, but this basically connects as a separate network, which I don't want. I am also able to connect in Access Point mode but this seems to disable the PnPP, print sharing and other features. I prefer to use the DIR-655 as the host router it allows more MAC address filters than the RT. Also, the wireless range of the RT seems to be better than the DIR-655 and most of my wireless clients would be located closer to the second floor, thus I would prefer to use the stronger wireless radio on the second floor. It seems the Router Mode (Disable Nat) is what I need but I can't seem to get it to work. The instructions for this mode are non-existent and ASUS support is unreachable.

Current Configuration:

1) Lan IP of the Dir-655 is 192.168.0.1, Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
2) I have a reserved DHCP server address for the RT-N56U of 192.168.0.193 on the DIR-655

I'd appreciate any help you could give me... Thanks.

We have the RT-N56U working as a wired router/nat disabled to extend wireless clients and provide wired access to other clients, as well as NAS and a server for an aging workhorse HP LasterJet Printer.

Agree that Asus support of this router is lacking.

We are Cat5 wired on lan side of Asus to Buffalo main router; On the Asus, DHCP set disabled; lan address of Asus is set by Buffalo (192.168.11.101, outside DHCP addresses of Buffalo (192.168.11.2-66); Wan connection type set to automatic ip, and rest of wan disabled (Buffalo is gateway to internet, Asus acting as AP, Switch NAS, and Print Server.)

Essentially, the Asus is set up as a wired AP, with the wireless using the same SSID and Security as the main Buffalo. Works fine for our limited purposes, with a very strong wireless extension and great convenience with the NAS and printer in the family room.

Hope this helps:)

ubimea, it sounds like you've accomplished what I'm trying to do... I want to use the DIR-655 as the host router and gateway to the internet, the ASUS RT as an wired/wireless access point and use the built in print server, and NAS, and FTP capabilities. Which operation mode did you use (IP Sharing, Routing (Disable NAT), or Access Point)? Can you PLEASE give me step by step instuctions on how you set yours up? Thank you!

ubimea, it sounds like you've accomplished what I'm trying to do... I want to use the DIR-655 as the host router and gateway to the internet, the ASUS RT as an wired/wireless access point and use the built in print server, and NAS, and FTP capabilities. Which operation mode did you use (IP Sharing, Routing (Disable NAT), or Access Point)? Can you PLEASE give me step by step instuctions on how you set yours up? Thank you!

There are lots of help articles how to "cascade" two routers; the simplest method is lan to lan cat5 wired, setting the ASUS for Access Point mode; that setting will take care of most of the settings automatically for you.

Try that first and see if it works for you.

Whats the general consensus on the best firmware for this? I just received my unit, and haven't had a chance to open it. I'd rather load the most reliable FW from the get go.

I bought this as a backup to my E4200. My first E4200 died after a couple weeks. Sent it back to newegg and the process took about 2 weeks before i got another unit back in my hands. I had to use my old and trusty 54GL, which maxes out at 24Mbps and obviously no usb....Cant have that now can we?

Whats the general consensus on the best firmware for this? I just received my unit, and haven't had a chance to open it. I'd rather load the most reliable FW from the get go.

I bought this as a backup to my E4200. My first E4200 died after a couple weeks. Sent it back to newegg and the process took about 2 weeks before i got another unit back in my hands. I had to use my old and trusty 54GL, which maxes out at 24Mbps and obviously no usb....Cant have that now can we?

There is no most reliable firmware. This router unfortunately is not ready for the public. It's much like trying to make ornage juice from a pile of apples. I gave up on this router after 1 week of fooling around with it. Frustration and more frustration is all this thing will produce.

I would take woodscomp words with a grain of salt, he has been giving a bad press for the router from the first pages in this thread. I am just wondering why he is still trolling here for something he used for a week. Just read Newegg reviews they'll give you better understanding. I've personally owned the router for 3 month now and it's been rock solid.

Last edited:
I've actually owned the router before for a short time. It was when i was still shopping for a new router initially. I didnt have any issues with it other than i think a couple problems with upnp.

I think at the time it had 1.0.12 FW on it, and it seemed fine, although i only tried it for about 3 days.

I guess i need to just open it up and see what it has, and go from there.

I noticed that the 1.0.15 FW got pulled from their site, so i guess when they fix it thats the one i'll go for.

the of the "top" routers i tried, the ones that need to be getting trolled and slammed pulicly are the wndr3700v2, 4000 and apple airport. Mostly the netgears. Unstability at its best should be the tagline from netgear.

the of the "top" routers i tried, the ones that need to be getting trolled and slammed pulicly are the wndr3700v2, 4000 and apple airport. Mostly the netgears. Unstability at its best should be the tagline from netgear.

I've either owned or tried all latest routers and RT-N56U so far beats them all. I am not biased towards any particular brand, but I am interested in anything new that could be potentially better. I've recently considered to try latest Buffalo, but it doesn't seem to be getting positive reviews in Amazon...

Had it up and running for a few hours today. It came with 1.0.1.2 fw, so i went ahead and updated to 1.0.1.4 for the hell of it. Didnt seem to change much.

A question though....I didnt use the stand to prop it up vertically. I had it laying down like a regular router. Is it ok to do this?
I'm asking cause the mofo got pretty hot in the few hours i was using it. i didnt even really do much, it just kind of sat there mostly.

you think i should exchange it?