What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, the only thing is that my gut tells me that the firmware developers for this may not be as seasoned as older device manufactuers like Linksys/Cisco, D-link, etc. which was the primary reason for me returning the router. Do they have a promising future, I think so but I can't wait. I will probably re-visit Asus later on after I see better reports of stability but for now I gotta stick with what works as my livelihood is at stake.
Asus is not a new kid on the block, however, so they shouldn't really be having teething problems this late in the game (they released one of the first N routers, the WL-500W, which promised free upgrade to the standard when it finally arrived; of course, we saw what eventually happened regarding the ratification of that standard ;)). There's little excuse for them other than rushing to market, which all the cool kids are doing of course.

I am waiting for the next firmware update. 1.0.1.4 is the last version officially for the USA and it has a DNS issue and a known security problem. 1.0.1.5 and 1.0.1.4m got pulled. 1.0.1.4o is not a USA release and has a VPN problem. What gives Asus?

I have had an interesting experience when it comes to the port forwarding of this router. For those that are having issues with ports not working when forwarded properly should not use the local port field. Technically speaking, it is unnecessary anyways. Only apply the range that is needed for the ports.

1.0.1.4o is not a USA release

It may not be, but this firmware is what I have been using without one single issue in the US.

1. Firmware 1.0.1.4, which allows the Cisco VPN to work fine with hardware NAT enabled, but makes web page loading (or DNS, I couldn't easily tell) slow on desktops other than the one that I use.

You can make it so that the routers DNS is used secondary. However, I have found that when I used Verizon's DNS servers instead it was slower. It would be nice if it was a toggle instead of a configuration field. You can change this in: LAN/DHCP Server under DNS and WINS Server Setting. Place an address in DNS Server field. To note, the router DNS will still be enabled, but now the address placed will perform look ups first.

How to address RT N56U in AP-mode as admin??

Hello together
Thank you very much for having built up this forum!
I recently bought the described ASUS RT N56U Router, upgraded to Firmware 1.0.1.4 and am using it in the Access-Point-mode. A dedicated router (Sonicwall) lies in front of it connecting to the modem and the internet.
Everything works just great (with 2 small exceptions:)
1. i cannot find out the ip-address of the asus router in AP mode to get in the admin menu. I would have to reset it to the factorysettings, which I don't want actually. ipconfig /all gives of course the gateway of my sonicwall ;-) Question: Is there a way to find out the IP-address of the asus device? Does it have any??
Remark: in the sonicwall I configured the asus-router with a static IP-address (for instance 192.168.168.7) and bound it to the ASUS-MAC-adress, which was accepted by the ASUS-router; but still i cannot address the router with this ip-address. And te standard address 192.168.1.1 wouldn't work either. So, I'm a bit stuck here.

2. I use the USB-port as a printserver. it works, hooray! but is INCREDIBLY SLOW (up to 2 minutes until 1 page is printed out). My old printserver, that blew up unfortunately, did it's jobs at once, without any delays.
Any idea how to speed up the printserver-function?
That was one of the reasons for me to buy the ASUS RT N56U.
Thank you very much for any suggestions and greetings from Zurich/Switzerland

found the IP-Adress!!

since Sonicwall gives each "adapter" in the ASUS-Router an IP-Adress i tried to adress the wrong one --> wireless instead of LAN/Ethernet-Adapter. This one has got of course a dynamical DHCP-IP-Address by the sonicwall. It has also a different MAC-Address than the wireless-adapter(and this one DOES have the static IP-adress). I didn't think of it, sorry.

But the printserver-problem i don't know how to solve yet, so thanks for your help.

Looking to buy a new router in the price range of about $120 shipped. Not a power user so I'm not necessarily concerned with all the bells and whistles. I just want something that's really fast, stable and easy to use. On this basis, would you guys recommend this router or would it be overkill?

help to choose router

Hey I need at new strong rounter for my internet. I have been looking at the Asus RT-N56U, Sitecom WL-309 and Netgear WNDR3700.

What I need is a powerfull router for gaming, surfing, straming og media from mobile, PS3 and laptops.
I want the one with most power also in a distance...
AnD it is importent that they support PPTP VPN because I live in DK and want to run a VPN so i looks like that I'm U.S. so I can use netflix and so on.

Printserver delay due to W7/64 bit?

I use the USB-port as a printserver. it works, hooray! but is INCREDIBLY SLOW (up to 2, even 3 minutes until 1 page is printed out, depends on the filesize). My old printserver, that blew up unfortunately, did it's jobs at once, without any delays.
The printserver function was one of the reasons for me to buy the ASUS RT N56U.
I run Windows 7/64 Bit on my laptop, and it seems, that ASUS is not supporting my printer HP Laserjet 1022:
http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/printersupport/rt-n56u.htm

Any idea how to speed up the printserver-function? Thank you

1.0.1.7c firmware is on the download site. Get it quickly, before Asus engineers change their minds... the version numbers are so weird with their firmware, just like the product...

1.0.1.7c firmware is on the download site. Get it quickly, before Asus engineers change their minds... the version numbers are so weird with their firmware, just like the product...

Here is the changelog:

Version 1.0.1.7c
Description ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 1.0.1.7c
Support language: English / Traditional Chinese / French / German / Czech / Polish / Russian / Turkish / Thai / Malaysian / Simplified Chinese / Brazil / Dansk / Finsk / Norsk / Svensk
Fixed bug:
1. add initial usb modem support
2. add more ISP IPTV support
3. add EPSON AcuLaser series printer support
4. improve media server robustness and interoperability
5. dns server update
- seperate sockets for incoming and outgoing requests
- remove the use of 53 port for outgoing requests
- handle hostnames with – symbol
- improve cache lookup speed
- improve DNS request handling speed
6. fix WPS radio band switching issue
7. lots of Web GUI bug fix

Last edited:
I felt it was time for a new one. :)

Edit: The DNS lookups seem to be a little bit slower is some cases than before, and somewhat better in other cases. Also, the ISP's DNS servers are not listed within IPconfig as they used to be along with the router's. Only the router's DNS server is listed which is normal, but a characteristic now.

Everything else seems to be OK so far, and no other changes but the addition for the 3G Modem and IPTV within the GUI.......

Last edited:
With the latest firmware (1.0.1.7), I'm having problems with a Brother network printer (attached to LAN port) that now loses connection after a while.

I am about to give up on this router due to many problems including this one as well as choppy 2.4 streaming thru the media server, no guest network, port 21 closed but not stealthed, etc.

I have Brother printer that I am using via Lan as well, no issues, might be your printer and not the router. What would you be getting in place? In my experience all other routers suck beyond imaginable...

I have Brother printer that I am using via Lan as well, no issues, might be your printer and not the router. What would you be getting in place? In my experience all other routers suck beyond imaginable...

No, there is nothing wrong with the printer (MFC-7360N) because the previous firmware (1.0.1.4) works Ok with it. It's just the latest that doesn't. Also, the printer works fine with my E4200, which I use for the Twonky media server.

I just decomissioned the RT-N56u and will use the E4200 instead.

No, there is nothing wrong with the printer (MFC-7360N) because the previous firmware (1.0.1.4) works Ok with it. It's just the latest that doesn't. Also, the printer works fine with my E4200, which I use for the Twonky media server.

I just decomissioned the RT-N56u and will use the E4200 instead.

Funny, I tried E4200 prior to RT-N56u it was lacking in performance and range. There is a new Netgear out, might try that

Funny, I tried E4200 prior to RT-N56u it was lacking in performance and range. There is a new Netgear out, might try that

I don't notice any range or performance difference in my house. In fact, I find he e4200 2.4 radio to be quite superior - at least it does not stutter when I stream video to my PS3 from the HDD like the RT-N56U.

The higher WAN/LAN throughput is meaning less to me because I get my full provisioned speed from FIOS with E4200 as well. I find that the E4200 is more secure too as it passes the port scan test.

Got Dlink Dap-1522 to Work

I could not get my Dlink Dap-1522 to work with the Asus in Bridge mode until I disabled Packet Aggregation in Wireless/Professional. If you are having troubles using a bridge, give this a try.

Finally got my Dlink DAP-1522 to work in Bridge mode

For those that have the Dlink DAP-1522 Access Point/Bridge and couldn't get it to work reliably as a bridge with the Asus router, I finally did it! Now happily sending the internet to all of the devices in my entertainment system wired with the Dlink on the 5 gHz channel.

The three things I did (not sure if any but the last is necessary):

I entered the Asus' IP into the DAP as the Default Gateway;

I entered the DAP's mac address in the Bridge section of the Asus and

I disabled Packet Aggregation in the Asus (Wireless/Professional).

After trying the first two, I was able to connect a remote PC to the internet for just a couple of minutes, which was a first. Once I disabled Packet Aggregation, I instantly reconnected and have been steady since.

The Dlink DAP-1522, now that it is working, is a perfect companion for the Asus. It is dual band and has 4 ports to connect Ethernet ready devices.

Trying to figure out how to create a Static DHCP Reservation and can't seem to find it anywhere in the firmware??? Firmware V1.0.1.7c could somebody please point me in the right direction!

Thanks,
Magoo

Advanced Setting (should be settings-when will they fix that?), LAN. Click on the DHCP Server Tab, which is the second one. At the bottom you will need to toggle "Enable Manual Assignment?" to yes. Place the MAC's and IP's in the proper field, click on add, after all addresses have been entered click apply.