What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DO NOT FORGET TO DO A HARD RESET!!
IT IS REQUIRED AFTER UPDATE TO 8e-p1

factory default in WEB GUI router

Thanks for the reminder, I always do a hard reset and power cycle after upgrading/downgrading firmware, myself. Much better that finding out later that I should have done that *smile*.

- Fixed USB 3G Modem regression from original firmware 1.0.1.8e (incorrect /dev/ttyUSBx node select).
- Fixed missing params USB_EHCI_SPLIT_ISO, USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT, USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED in Linux kernel
configuration.
http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/list

quick question. Coming from the ddwrt world, it's generally recommended that you restore all settings to the router manually after updgrading the firmware as opposed to restoring from a config file. Is that also the recommended approach when using padavan's firmware or can I restore the config file I saved from from my 8d firmware and apply it to 8e?

I ask because, I've done some portforwarding as well as access restrictions tweaking and I don't really looking forward to doing all that manually again unless necessary

quick question. Coming from the ddwrt world, it's generally recommended that you restore all settings to the router manually after updgrading the firmware as opposed to restoring from a config file. Is that also the recommended approach when using padavan's firmware or can I restore the config file I saved from from my 8d firmware and apply it to 8e?

I ask because, I've done some portforwarding as well as access restrictions tweaking and I don't really looking forward to doing all that manually again unless necessary

You can try. If it is work badly will have to configure again

RT-N56U_1.1.1.8e-b2 (en-ru)

http://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/RT-N56U_1.1.1.8e-b2.zip

Changes log from firmware 1.0.1.8e-p2:
-------------------------------------------------
- Project complete moved to new tree.
- New cross-toolchain gcc-4.4.7, binutils-2.21.1, uClibc-0.9.33.
- Replaced Linux kernel from wive-rtnl project, with many backports from upstream
and many optimizations (also for Ralink SoC).
- Added openssl-0.9.8u.
- Added libiconv-1.13.1.
- Added sftp-server from package openssh-5.9p1.
- Updated package dnsmasq-2.60.
- Updated package iptables-1.3.8.
- Replaced kernel driver ufsd with NTFS and HFS/HFS+ support.
- Replaced NAT MASQUERADE rules to fast SNAT rules.
- Disabled NAT loopback by default. Add NAT loopback control to WebGUI.
- Added NAT type select - RCONE/FCONE/Linux. RCONE by default.
- Security patch CVE-2012-1182.patch for samba-3.0.37.
- Fixed some bugs in WebGUI.

I'm gonna ask a newbie question here. Just got this router and followed the link to make sure i have the latest firmware. Does each update build on the previous or by downloading the latest. 8e do I get all the previous patches etc from previous firmware updates?
Thanks
Dc

I'm gonna ask a newbie question here. Just got this router and followed the link to make sure i have the latest firmware. Does each update build on the previous or by downloading the latest. 8e do I get all the previous patches etc from previous firmware updates?
Thanks
Dc

Firmware is applied as a whole binary, patches are not applied to the firmware in your router when you upgrade it. Patches may be applied to the source code, but the built firmware that comes out of building that (patched) source code is a full, standalone piece that will be what you upgrade your router to use.

RT-N56U_1.1.1.8e-b3 firmware by Padavan

http://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/RT-N56U_1.1.1.8e-b3.zip
Changes log from firmware 1.1.1.8e-b2:
- Update Linux kernel to wive-rtnl trunc 2.4.1:
1) VFS - fixed sendfile regression (minidlna and samba server issues).
2) FastNat - optimization and fixes.
3) HW_NAT - disable mcast/bcast process in PPE, fix GRE track.
4) Netfilter - optimization and fixes.
- Rollback to stable uClibc-0.9.28.3.
- Fixed "URL Filter" and "LAN to WAN Filter" regression.
- Fixed printk regression (drop lines from kernel).
- Fixed Logout/Reboot actions from WebGUI "Statistics" page.
- Added load user mappings from /etc/storage/hosts.
- Added flush conntrack table and route table after WAN down action.
- NAT loopback now enabled by default.

CAUTION!
The list of functions that have not been tested:
- Not all USB 3G Modems models (only ZTE MF-180 successfully tested).
- USB printers.
- Port Trigger.
- WPS/WSC.
- ASUS Download Master.

After flashing this firmware you needed to reset settings for recreate directory /etc/storage.
Also you can manual delete file /etc/storage/start_script.sh and restart router instead of full reset.

Another Noob question. I'm running the latest OEM firmware, and after adding my 32 port forward, learned that this high-end, super-fast, expensive device can't count higher than 32 using Asus' firmware. I sent them a support ticket asking them if this was a late April Fool's joke, or if I'm just too tired to appreciate what it takes to count higher than 32.

Does this alternate firmware provide a way around this limit? Apparently the same limit exists with static DHCP tables...

Wireless N speed fluctuation

Hi,

I got this router a couple of days ago and updated to the latest Asus firmware (1.0.1.8e). I have a laptop with an Intel 5100 adapter. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. I can connect on both 2.4 and 5.2 ghz. One thing I've noticed is that the speed goes up and down significantly, for no apparent reason, when connected to either band. For example now I'm on the 2.4 band just typing this and the speed on the Windows connection status fluctuates between 240 and 300 Mbps. But every so often it even goes down to 12 Mbps (!!!) and stays there until there's some transfer, say I go to a new site or something changes. Then, it's down again. Is this a feature of wireless N? I've even tested sitting close to the router, and the fluctuation is still present. Now I've finished this sentence and it's down to 135 Mbps. Any particular setting that I should check?

Thanks!

RT-N56U_1.1.1.8e-b4 (en-ru)

http://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/RT-N56U_1.1.1.8e-b4.zip
Changes log from firmware 1.1.1.8e-b3:
- Update Linux kernel to wive-rtnl trunc 2.5.x:
1) HW_NAT - fix mcast/bcast packets corrupt on PPE WiFi offload.
2) Netfilter - icmp conntrack fix.
3) Slab - fix memory leak.
- Fixed /etc/hosts resolver regression in uClibc-0.9.28.3.
- Fixed NAT issue (lost Internet access from LAN) on enable features
"BattleNET" and "Port Trigger".
- Fixed kernel oops on ipt_autofw.ko module unload ("Port Trigger").
- Enabled CONFIG_PM and CONFIG_SCSI_SCAN_ASYNC in kernel configuration.
- Removed more garbage from rc. ASUS Download Master is no longer supported.
- Reworked USB applications startup logic on start router and on USB hotplug.
- Added torrent Transmission 2.51. To start the torrent, you need to manually
create the directory "transmission" on target USB drive. Peer ports for
incoming connections is forwarded automatically after start torrent. Added
access control to Transmission RPC from WAN.
- Added tcp_syncookies control (prevent SYN flood attack) to WebGUI. Feature
tcp_syncookies disabled by default.
- Reworked project tree build logic, support all params from ".config" file.

CAUTION!
The list of functions that have not been tested:
- USB printers.
- WPS/WSC.
ASUS Download Master is no longer supported. Replaced by Transmission.

After flashing this firmware you needed to reset settings for recreate directory /etc/storage.
Also you can manual delete file /etc/storage/start_script.sh and restart router instead of full reset.

HI,

I just joined to say a great big thank you to Padavan for his firmware.
I received my N56 from Amazon on Friday, to replace my 2010 Apple TImeCapsule. I have flashed a couple of routers to DD-WRT in the past, and once I realised that the stock Default ASUS firmware (which I had updated to 1.0.1.8f wasn't quite "cutting it" I decided to try Padovan's custom firmware.

4 minutes later, it was flashed and ready to go. definitely feels faster in general and range seems to have increased, (checked on iPhone when walking dog!, but that could just be atmospherics! ;) )

One test I did try was copying a 3.3GB file from iMacs internal HDD to QNAP (wired) via HP Procurve switch, (N56 acts as router) (MTU1500, not gone jumbo yet), it regularly achieves 1 minute 0.2 seconds (tested over a few weeks as I adjust wired network) , well on tests after the flashed firmware, I am consistently getting 58 seconds. Could that be the firmware? Who knows but if you are unsure about going down the custom route, give it a go, in my experience you won't go back to OEM!

8)

Offline Files

Hey guys!

Having some trouble with win7 offline files.
Keeps getting errors about the files being used by another process.

Have tried all kinds of different firmware versions (currently 1.1.1.8e-b5).

Any help? :)

Delete the firmware file, restart your computer, download the file again. If that doesn't work, restart again then try and load the firmware file.

Not flashing the firmware is my problem, but having files on a usb stick that are to be synced via offline files. ;)

RT-N56U 1.1.1.8f-b5

http://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/RT-N56U_1.1.1.8f-b5.zip
Changes log from firmware 1.1.1.8e-b4:
- Included changes from original firmware 1.0.1.8f.
- Fixed bittorent Transmission address bindings. Now, the Transmission binded to
WAN interfaces directly. Does not require port forwarding.
- Fixed USB-over-Ethernet print server "u2ec" build issue under gcc-4xx. Print under
Windows with Asus vuhub driver is now working.
- Added support print-server via TCP/IP RAW port 9100 by p910nd daemon.
- Added WebGUI control page for managing print servers.
- Improved logic to load print-server daemons - runs only after the printer connected
to USB and unload after printer disconnected.
- Increased timeout for the WAN DHCP client to 16 seconds for improve works with
overloaded ISP DHCP servers.
- Improved logic to find USB 3G modems ttyUSBx control node. Added ability to manually
selection ttyUSBx control node from WebGUI for some stupid modems.
- Fixed WebGUI issue for USB drives with characters ',",` in device name.
- Fixed detection of USB HDD drives with USB descriptor field bNumInterfaces > 1.
- Updated package dnsmasq-2.61.
- Updated package miniupnpd-1.6.20120502.
- Added missing QoS "tc" utility from the package iproute2.
- Added ability to set HDD spindown timer and disable APM via WebGUI. Some USB HDD
drives do not support these functions.

CAUTION!
These functions DO NOT WORK:
- WPS/WSC (temporarily disabled).
- ASUS Download Master is no longer supported. Replaced by Transmission.

After flashing this firmware you need to reset start script manually. Perform command reset_ss.sh from terminal (reboot is not required).

And there is also a mini version of the firmware

I see that there is now a RT-N56U_1.1.1.8f-b6 release downloadable at:

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/list

and this is listed among the other release note items:

4) Improve ipv6 support.

Wonder if anyone who reads here has tried the IPv6 support in this new firmware to see how well it is working?

Thanks.

Open VPN

Help please I am new to this and cannot get the open vpn package to install.
I am running the latest custom FW version 1.1.1.8f-b6. I have read the instructions and I telnet to the router login and then past this line "# ipkg install http://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/openvpn_2.2.2-2_mipsel.ipk" and nothing happens.

I have tried this installing this from various directories using putty and telnet. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited: