What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello,

I can't manage Wake over LAN (WOL) from WAN.

I've an account at dyndns.org and wrote the information in the DDNS from the RT-N56U menu. I can reach the router-web-interface from internet.
I've installed the latest firmware.

WOL works fine in my network, but it doesn't work from WAN. The IP from the PC I want to wake up is static.

I've set the virtual server: WOL Port 9 IP 192.168.1.161 Port 9 UDP

I've test some websides e.g. wakeonlan.me, www.depicus.com and I test some Apps for iPhone but the PC wont wake up.

I hope somebody has the solution for me. If you need more information ask me.

Last edited:
I just loaded it, not bad.

I really like the new CPU/Memory usage pages. I like being able to quickly glance to see if something is running away.

I did find one weird bug:
If you turn off the USB printer, enable USB-over Ethernet port, and TCP/IP LPR port, your 2.4 wireless throughput drops. BIG TIME. I had to go back to the default config, then redo all my settings to bring it back.

I usually turn off the USB printing features since my HP Officejet has wireless printing. Before I could turn it off and get back some memory and CPU.

I'm still trying to diagnose why my old WRT54G working as a AP bridge/extender is not connecting properly.

I'm still trying to diagnose why my old WRT54G working as a AP bridge/extender is not connecting properly.

Try disabling "packet aggregation" from the "professional" menu. That was the key to making my Dlink Dap-1522 work.

Figured it out. Darn USB. Don't update, reboot or change config while a USB drive is attached.

Remove the drive, turn off UPnP, update, make your config changes, reboot. Let it settle down, then attach the drive, let it settle down, then turn on UPnP.

Everything is working perfectly now, nice and quick.

Is it possible in this version to dedicate originating IP-address when defining a port forward? What I want is to restrict the originating access to my Asterisk SIP-server, limiting it only to secure clients.

Tested the new firmware, but I got problems with devices being disconnected. Had to revert.

I noticed with the LAN that there are issues, at least, with Intel's CT network adapters. It can cause disconnects and an extreme amount of retransmits. Not sure as to why this happens, but this was not the case a while ago. But I think your disconnects are with WLAN.

BTW, I love how far this firmware has gotten. I wish you guys can work on the RT-N66U. Honestly, I wish I made a lot of money I would just start a SOHO router company and employ you all.

Last edited:
Harsh132,

Do you know if there will be an english support forum like over at ixbt.com or is it here?

Great firmware btw and the project seems very active, lots of changes to the code daily, hope it continues.

Harsh132,

Do you know if there will be an english support forum like over at ixbt.com or is it here?

Great firmware btw and the project seems very active, lots of changes to the code daily, hope it continues.
Unfortunately, information on filling this forum is largely inferior to "xbt", but the other English-speaking forum, where more than 10 pages, at least I do not knows. I am as far as possible and several other people provide links to the new firmware where possible, but not enough. For some reason in the English-speaking region, it is not widely used (I have a thought on this subject, I believe that the Chinese program's software his curves just killed a this model)

No problem. I suppose we could use this forum for updates, bugs and suggestions.

I've just bought this router and didn't even use stock firmware, went straight to Andy Padavan's firmware and very happy with it.

It's seems very stable for what I've used but haven't had really much time to go through all the settings.

Hope this continues and becomea a new reference project like TomatoUSB and DDwrt.

When I get time I will send a little token of my appreciation via PayPal.

If anyone is wondering you just upgrade to this firmware the same as you would with stock, just make sure to reset to default settings afterwards before redoing all your settings, it's important.

Great work

Last edited:
I loaded Andy's 1.1.2.1-004 newgui firmware. I LIKE IT! Except for one thing, transfer rate to a NTFS USB drive is half of Asus :( 4mbs was bad, but 2mbs is just painful.

I know, I know, go to ext and things will be faster.

But that just won't work for me. I'm a WinTel house. I like being able to take the drive off the router and just plug and play with it on my other windows systems.

So is the DHCP reservation limit now at 32?

I will be using the RT-N56U to replace my DGL4500 router which had a 24 DHCP reservation unit. SO as long as I have at least 24 I will be happy since I only use reservations for a couple dozen of my devices. The rest can be assigned any IP address.

Running Russian version 1.1.2.1-004. Very nice, I congratulate all for such work. The random WAN disconnects seems to be fixed. I will report any thing new here and on Google Code issues. Congrats guys. Now I read here new Beta 3.0? Is this the official Asus firmware? How is it? Thanks.

New Firmware updates posted:

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/list

The new UI is different from the one posted here earlier. So far so good.

Thanks. I just downloaded this and installed it. I was having issues with my Boxee Boxes with the last official released firmware I had to turn on QoS for the Boxee Boxes to even work properly for some reason. This custom firmware is working great so far with the three dozen devices I've checked so far. It has more options and also shows you more info. Much better than the last official firmware and definitely better than the official beta firmware(which doesn't have a button to release the WAN IP).

Tomorrow I'll check out the rest of my devices to make sure I'm not having any issues

Last edited:
I've been lurking around SNB for years now and based on their review, I bought the RT-N56U.

For the most part, it works fine. But I've encountered a version of the ""you have the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your RT-N56U" problem that I haven't been able to fix. (Initially, this problem would happen every 30-120 minutes, as others have reported. Turning off 5Ghz on the N56U and cloning the MAC address fixed that.)

My set up:

Comcast for ISP, Zoom 5341J cable modem, and N56U router with Asus firmware version 1.0.1.86.

If I wirelessly connect to the network with a new device, there are no problems. Everything works as expected.

If I add a new hardwired device (CAT5e), I get the "you have the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your RT-N56U" error page within 2-3 minutes. Resetting the modem and the router fixes the problem and no further issues. Until I add another hardwired device.

Adding a Netgear unmanaged switch, however, just craps everything up. Resetting the modem/router will fix it for a few minutes, then the error returns. It's as if I were adding new hardware every couple of minutes, causing the router to crap out.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to fix this problem? I'm not running a lot of wired hardware (WinPC, Mac, and a server). But I'd like to avoid having multiple wires snaking down the hallway, if I can just use the switch with this router.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I'm using several Dlink Gigabit Switches with this router without any issues. I had three dozen devices on the network before I switched to the custom firmware.
I never saw the "you have the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your RT-N56U" error page when I was on the last official firmware release.

I finished setting up the rest of my devices yesterday along with port forwarding for my ten Ip cameras and some other devices. Everything has been working great since I installed the custom firmware. Although Even before the custom firmware the only only issue I had with the official release was with my Boxee Boxes. (But I also had not checked my Xbox 360s yet. I didn't check those until after the custom firmware was installed.)

Last edited: