What's new

ASUS RT-N65R wan port 100 mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Som30ne

New Around Here
Hi all.

I am trying to connect the Asus router RT-N65R.
I have a cable connected to my internet provider device.
When I connect a cable from the internet provider device to one of the LAN ports of the Asus RT-N65R device,
I see that the connection is set to 1000mbps.
When I disconnect the cable from the LAN port, and connect it to the WAN port,
the connection is set to 100mbps.
The same cable.
The same connector.
Pulled out of one port in the RT-N65R, and immediately connected to another port of the RT-N65R.
And the connection speed drops.
(In all LAN ports the connection is 1000mbps, and in the WAN port drops to 100mbps)

I do not see any physical reason for this behavior.
In the 'ETERNET Hub' definitions all ports are set to 'auto'
I also tried to 'force' 1000mbps on the WAN port, and it did not connect at all with this setting.
Is there any other location/setting in the router limiting the connection speed ?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums @Som30ne.

Try another cable.

Welcome to the forums @Som30ne.

Try another cable.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I probably will in the coming days,
I need to get a long enough cable.
But - this behavior does not make sense.

In each and every port in the 'LAN' part of the router this cable connects at 1000mbps
and only in the WAN port it connects at 100mbps
(The device on the other end of the cable is connected to the cable at all times)

I would believe.

Everything is possible.

Thanks for all your replies.
And apologies for the delayed response.

I tried to connect different cables (shorter cables) and different devices.
Connecting devices to the 'LAN' ports always sync at 1000mbps.
Connecting to 'WAN' port - syncs only at 100mbps.

I also tried to change the mode from 'router' to AP, so all ports would be considered 'LAN'.
Still - same behavior.

Any other place I should look for settings that might affect this ?

The black rectangular (usually) components on the PCB behind Ethernet ports are called LAN filters or transformers. They look like this inside:

1706918901762.png

Overvoltage damaged transformer (lightning strike, mains voltage leakage, incorrect or incompatible passive PoE) with 2 pairs only working may result in a port stuck at Fast Ethernet speeds. The damage may not be limited to the transformer only. On home routers WAN port usually suffers more often than LAN ports.

Just as a quick test - unplug from the router and plug it directly in to your PC/Laptop over an ethernet connection - if it still is a 100Mb connection, then it's likely the modem...