What's new

ASUS RT-N66R revert to Asus-WRT...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lasernet

New Around Here
Hello...

The RT-N66R router currently has the asuswrt-merlin 380.70 firmware. The plan is to revert to the latest Asus WRT firmware, version 3.0.0.4.382.51641. Couple of questions regarding to the process...

Can I use the "Administration\Firmware Upgrade\Select File..." interface to flash in the Asus firmware? If not, what is the correct process?

Will the flashing process remove the current network settings?

I have saved the settings to my system; can it be uploaded after the flashing completed?

TIA...

Can I use the "Administration\Firmware Upgrade\Select File..." interface to flash in the Asus firmware?
Yes
No. But it's generally recommended that you perform a factory reset and configure manually after such a big change.
I have saved the settings to my system; can it be uploaded after the flashing completed?
No, definitely not.

Can I use the "Administration\Firmware Upgrade\Select File..." interface to flash in the Asus firmware? If not, what is the correct process?

Yes use the webui firmware update page. The flash may or may not mess with your network settings, it's a little unpredictable really to assure you one way or the other. No, you cannot import any saved settings file, as the two are not compatible that way.

I just love the "furniture" in this forum... ;) Thanks guys...

I have backed up the Marlin configuration manually, including LAN, WAN, wireless, MAC filtering, etc. In worst case scenario, I can just restore the current configuration manually from the excel file.

Thanks again for your quick responses...

Since you are moving forward to a newer version, there's a good chance that things will be fine after the upgrade. Some of these settings however may require reconfiguring, as they are not 100% compatible between Asuswrt-Merlin and stock:

- VPN settings (different implementation)
- DHCP static leases (Asus has no hostname field)
- SSH

This is off the top of my head, I might be forgetting a few more.

I've updated the RT-N66R to the latest Asus firmware, dated as 11.08.19. The update process was no different from any other updates, be that Asus or Merlin WRT.

The update pretty much preserved all the settings that had been configured in my case. This router had no VPN, SSH settings, but did have static leases that had been preserved and displayed in two columns:

static lease.jpg

Some of the "nice to have" features in the Merlin firmware disappeared, but other than that, everything is working as it should.

Thank you all for your help, it's much appreciated...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!