What's new

ASUS RT-N66U DNS only half-working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Egyas

New Around Here
I use a pi-hole server to reduce ads, etc. I configure my router (an ASUS RT-N66U) to route DNS requests to my pi-hole server. Over-all, this works GREAT. At least it does for any device that is connected to my router via wired Ethernet or wireless on the 2.4GHz network. The problem is the 5GHz network. If I'm connected to my 5GHz wireless, it totally ignores the DNS setting. I have looked everywhere, and it seems that both 2.4 & 5 GHz wireless networks share a common DNS config option in the router's config page. But the 5GHz side ignore it.

Example: On my phone (connected to 2.4GHZ wireless) I can go to a website and surf ad-free. If I switch to the 5GHz wireless network and refresh the page, all the ads are there. Like it's ignoring the pi-hole server all together.

Anyone have any ideas what the heck is happening?

What firmware version? How is the router configured with the PiHole address? On the WAN page DNS or LAN DHCP pages?

Is the 5G network a guest network? Is AP Isolation enabled which would preclude the clients from talking to the PiHole IP directly?

Firmware Version:
3.0.0.4.382_51641 (latest)

How is the router configured with the PiHole address?
Advanced Settings > LAN > DHCP Server page. I added the DNS server in the appropriate field on this page under "DNS and WINS Server Setting".

Is the 5G network a guest network?
Nope! I have no guest networks enabled.

Is AP Isolation enabled which would preclude the clients from talking to the PiHole IP directly?
Nope!

Also, I used an app on my phone called Net Analyser and it verified that both the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks were showing my DNS server properly.

What dns server do those clients end up using? Does dnsleaktest.com give expected results?

Interesting. I have the pi-hole set to use comcast's DNS while doing it's magic. However, leaktest is showing 3 comcast DNS servers, and 3 Google servers.

upload_2020-3-9_21-9-47.png

Interesting. I have the pi-hole set to use comcast's DNS while doing it's magic. However, leaktest is showing 3 comcast DNS servers, and 3 Google servers.

View attachment 21843
Is the router set with 8.8.8.8 DNS in WAN? I can’t remember stock firmware, but is the router IP also served over DHCP as a DNS server to clients?