What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]
Security fixes
- Fixed CSRF and XSS vulnerability when router is in default status (user does not set the router yet)

New features
- Added client list view button on network map and help administrator easily monitor all client connection status.
- Added the question feedback in Administration -> Feedback
- Added new DDNS provider www.oray.com

Bug fixes
- Fixed GUI related issues
- Fixed login issue when router’s IP is 10.x.x.x
- Fixed parental control-> time scheduling related issue.
- Fixed network tool related issues.
- Improved media server response time when new file added.
- Fixed network map UI issue when selected French.
- Added stateful server in IPv6
- Fixed the saving issue in OpenVPN server -> content modification of keys & certification.

Available on the support page:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&s=2&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)

The release notes are the same as for the 7177 build and it is again Japan only.
Asus seems to go the fuzzy release path like DD-WRT...no clear logic in firmware releases, at least unclear release notes for what is really new and a mystery Japan only policy.

The upgrade, straight over 7177, went well.
7177 was installed straight over 6117, all without hard reset or revert to factory defaults.
Wireless driver 6.30.163.2002 (r382208), as introduced longer ago.

any idea why lately asus release firmware for japan first before re-releasing for rest country ?

i dont think the firmware proggramer/scripter is from japan

aside from that, asus router isnt most used router in japan either, most of user using rental bundle from their isp
and those isp using NEC aterm router usually
other than that, buffalo router take some share before elecom and the rest
router ranking in japan (incase someone interested) http://kakaku.com/pc/wireless-router/ranking_0077/

Because their issues is what they're trying to fix, predominately?

any idea why lately asus release firmware for japan first before re-releasing for rest country ?

i dont think the firmware proggramer/scripter is from japan

aside from that, asus router isnt most used router in japan either, most of user using rental bundle from their isp
and those isp using NEC aterm router usually
other than that, buffalo router take some share before elecom and the rest
router ranking in japan (incase someone interested) http://kakaku.com/pc/wireless-router/ranking_0077/

As indicated previously and in many other threads, you can use the firmware world wide.

The indicated 'fixes' are for Japan, but the undocumented general improvements are for everyone.

Hello,

I'm new so don't kill me. When you upgrade firmware from what ever your old firmware was no matter how old when you put the new firmware on does it include all old fixes up until that point?

Thanks

tvyankee,

yes, it includes all of the old fixes too.

It's especially important for beginners to reset their router to factory defaults AFTER they perform a firmware upgrade and then reconfigure the router from scratch....especially when they previously had an old firmware version on their router. More advanced/experienced users can sometimes avoid performing a factory default reset in certain situations.

One of the quickest ways to start having router problems is going from an old firmware version to a new firmware version and forgetting to reset to defaults after you do the update. To reset the router to factory defaults, all you have to do is turn on the router, and then press and hold the reset button for more than 5 seconds. I usually use a paper clip to press the reset button.

I tend to think that the primary reason that is says "Japan only" is because it's beta software and as a whole, Japan is a very tech savvy country....percentage wise of their population. And I doubt that ASUS really wants to be flooded with phone calls and emails from around the world with Beta firmware. The fixes themselves don't just apply to Japan, they apply to everybody worldwide.

If anyone looked at the Microsoft Windows Insider Technical Preview forum, you'll know what I mean. Windows 10 Technical Preview was supposed to be for PC experts according to Microsoft's warnings. The number of my fellow Americans (U.S.) that were using Windows 10 TP that had no business using it was embarrassing. You'll just have to read the Windows Insider forum to know what I'm talking about. Some of the questions and problems people were having were beginner type problems and questions..... Half the people didn't even know how to wipe Windows 10 TP from their HDD and clean re-install their previous Windows 7 or 8. It was cringeworthy. And at least half of the "experts" didn't even backup their files, make a system image backup, a recovery drive or discs. A huge chunk of them had never heard of "diskpart clean".

Last edited: