What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52272

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
Version 3.0.0.4.382.52272
2020/06/18
29.86 MBytes
- Fixed CVE-2018-20334
- Fixed CVE-2018-20336
- Fixed null pointer issue.
- Fixed DDoS vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed buffer overflow vulnerability.
- Updated OTA function.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Keep faith in the good old Dark Night :)

Version 3.0.0.4.382.52272
2020/06/18
29.86 MBytes
- Fixed CVE-2018-20334
- Fixed CVE-2018-20336
- Fixed null pointer issue.
- Fixed DDoS vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed buffer overflow vulnerability.
- Updated OTA function.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Keep faith in the good old Dark Night :)

Makes you want to keep buying Asus routers even when it hurts.

OE

Kudos to Asus for keeping this oldie but goldie updated even into 2020! :)

My RT-N66U is stored as spare router, apart from a defect power switch (the well known issue of self releasing after certain age) and a few faded blue LED's (also reported by more owners), the hardware still functions.

[EDIT] I took the RT-N66U from store, powered it, upgraded the firmware and back as spare.

Last edited:
Replaced last year with an ac86u...one of the worst performing routers i ever owned.
We wander off a bit.
The RT-N66U is quite a straight forward old school consumer router in a neat small box with additional stand giving you the option to put it vertical: router + 4-port switch + wireless access point.
Newer models come stuffed with a load of features to help them sell better but in my honest opinion take development focus away from the core duties.
I like my RT-AC68U, with all the firmware upgrades it got more and more features I did not ask for and which I will not use.

It's now listed in the Asus end-of-life list:

So we'll probably not have any new firmwares, not even security only fixes?

It's now listed in the Asus end-of-life list:

So we'll probably not have any new firmwares, not even security only fixes?
I won't count on any more firmware updates for the RT-N66U.
Consider it has been supported longer than many other routers and longer then most Android based phones or tablets.
The 802.11n standard is by long replaced by 802.11ac and these days 802.11ax is coming up.
For 2.4 GHz the RT-N66U may do a good job, for 5 GHz and newer client devices it will do no good to network performance.
I keep mine in the spares box, untill I replace my RT-AC68U.

I won't count on any more firmware updates for the RT-N66U.
Consider it has been supported longer than many other routers and longer then most Android based phones or tablets.
The 802.11n standard is by long replaced by 802.11ac and these days 802.11ax is coming up.
For 2.4 GHz the RT-N66U may do a good job, for 5 GHz and newer client devices it will do no good to network performance.
I keep mine in the spares box, untill I replace my RT-AC68U.
Yes, it's a legendary device in regards to support.

Luckily we have alternatives like John fork of ASUSWRT-Merlin, FreshTomato, DD-WRT and similar to keep it secure at least.

But lots of good reasons to upgrade hardware now. Not only bandwidth, but also stuff like OFDMA, WPA3, mesh, dedicated wireless backhaul/ triband.

I've gone with Nest Wifi router AC2200, but got two buddies still on RT-N66U. So I'm thinking about what I'll recommend them to do.

I've gone with Nest Wifi router AC2200, but got two buddies still on RT-N66U. So I'm thinking about what I'll recommend them to do.

Be sure they know Google's Nest WiFi requires a Google account and has no LAN connections on the remote 'points'.

OE

Untitled.png

Be sure they know Google's Nest WiFi requires a Google account and has no LAN connections on the remote 'points'.

OE
I only buy Nest WiFi routers for that reason. Also mesh with AC2200 sure is better than with AC1200 (points). The level of set and forget you get with Google/ Nest WiFi is well worth the requirement of using a Google account IMO. At least when placing out equipment at family and friends.

What a fighter N66U is. :)

'requires a Google account' means that you don't own anything, even if you have the hardware in your hands.

When those servers are switched off, you're left with nothing.

This is the very reason why I don't want these.

Besides, uh, Google, of course.

'requires a Google account' means that you don't own anything, even if you have the hardware in your hands.

When those servers are switched off, you're left with nothing.

This is the very reason why I don't want these.

Besides, uh, Google, of course.

Allowing Google to data mine your home network is lunacy.

OE

I love how prejudice people are against Google/ Nest Wifi. "Scroogle" etc. Have you actually owned it? Don't you like automatic updates that actually work?
Google is inside your network anyways. Don't pretend otherwise. And I've not experienced downtime due to Google backend going down, at least not that I remember. They day I don't like it anymore I can sell it with minimal loss. Thats not true for Asus network equipment.

I own a XT8 too. Not much has changed since I owned AC68U, AC3200, N66U, web interface still looks like a tacky gaming project. Auto updates still can break stuff. Reset router between firmware updates still is a thing.

I'm not 'for' anything that can be taken away because of external (to me) business reasons. You're free to justify your purchase any way you like. :)

When (not if) the server(s) that makes your equipment 'go' is taken offline, there will be nobody that will be willing to buy it (unless they like router-like paperweights.

Last edited:
A year later (Nov 2021), I just updated my RTN-66U to this FW. Several serious issues:
  • VPN unstable, connect/disconnect clients
  • Unable to access internal/external network through VPN
  • UI very slow, barely loading pages
Downgraded back to 3.0.0.4.382_50470, all problems solved.

@elSandman, welcome to the forums.

I suggest that instead of using that extremely old firmware, that you consider using @john9527's RMerlin fork for your router instead (which is fully updated and secure).

Sure, you'll need to flash it, fully reset it, then manually set it up again (without using an old, saved, backup config file), but you will also be up to date on security than you are with that absolutely ancient firmware version from 2018 (and I'm sure it will have a few extra features you may appreciate too).

Another thought, flashing the latest firmware from June 2020, performing that same reset outlined above may give you a stable router/network too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!