What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
at the higher transmitter power levels combined with strong signals (one direction anyway), try testing the TCP/IP throughput. It will decline as the bit error rate increases due to transmitted waveform distortion. Some vendors correctly "cap" the tx power (at the hardware/firmware level, invisible to you) to keep the distortion within that permitted by the WiFi Alliance's certification criteria.

80mw worked for me, i did some more testing and checked the logs in inSSDIer, with .90 and .96/.100 at 80mw i get signal amplitude -58db, or 5 bars laptop, 4 on the phone, with stock 40mw i get around -70 and 4 bars laptop and 2 on the phone, if i bump it to 100 or 120mw db goes down and connection not as stable.. keep in mind this results will be different for everyone. to compare, netgear 3700 the phone was no longer able to keep a connection going.
7h35m on the meter and still going good :)

Interesting...in theory, doubling the transmitter power should only raise the signal level by 3db.

really ??? newegg was selling wrt600 linksys for over 300.00 a few years bavk hen no one could find them , that's how it goes , good product hard to find price goes up . No one is forcing you to buy , just wait until there is a better supply . this is like the idiots that pay 20,000.00 over sticker to be the first with Viper , Vette or Ferrari

really ??? newegg was selling wrt600 linksys for over 300.00 a few years bavk hen no one could find them , that's how it goes , good product hard to find price goes up . No one is forcing you to buy , just wait until there is a better supply . this is like the idiots that pay 20,000.00 over sticker to be the first with Viper , Vette or Ferrari
Yeah I know this explains it perfectly. Anybody can ask what they want for something.

Don't forget the first PS3's that sold for more than a few times their retail price on eBay when they first came out. Those were classic.

Hey guys, I just start to use the N66U router this week. I put it side by side with the WNDR4500 in the basement and using them together. How come I find the Netgear has better signal strength through out the house. Especially under the 5GHz band. I am running .96 firmware, tx power at 80mw. Test with inssider 2.1 on a laptop(Intel Centrino 6230 adapter). Is it the setup issue or something else? Thanks

Last edited:
Good evening to all,
I have a problem i can not open the doors with a firmware xxx.90 opsione there to open them all
sorry my english

Asus is just an email away. Try it!

I would guess their suggested power setting is the way it shipped.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. The reason I started asking was that I was not sure if the 40mW in the first two firmware releases was really 40mW, especially due to the bug where it could not be increased (that led me to wonder what else might (just potentially of course) be coded incorrectly in that TX power setting.
This may have been bolstered by the fact that two of us noticed that the signal got slightly weaker after updating the firmware to xxxx96.

Anyway, funny that you mention e-mailing them:
I was planning to e-mail them this morning.
I was originally going to contact them a week or so ago, but saw the web form required my serial number which I did not have on me (it slipped my mind that I could directly e-mail them).
Then I simply got busy. :)
I did not even have a chance to load the latest (beta?) firmware last night since I stayed at work later than usual and then did a lot of shopping.
By the time I got home and had dinner, I had enough time to watch one movie to unwind before falling asleep...

Anyway, I hope firmware xxxx100 works as well as 90 in terms of wifi performance. If not, I am thinking of going back to xxxxx90.

Using .100 for the past 12 hours, everything appears to be working well and very stable. I have ports forwarded, H/W Acceleration enabled, 4 IP cams connected (via dyndns), and recently added a 500GB USB drive. I have a NAS, but wanted to see how the system would respond with a USB drive connected.

The only (minor) complaint is; when I view wireless clients, I see mostly Mac and IP addresses. In the column that displays Mac addresses, a few will display the actual names of the client, but mostly Mac addresses. Is there a way to show names instead of Mac? That aside, I am pleased with the new FW...

well I'm back on 90 and I can change signal strength , have it at 60 mw on 5 ghz had it at 80mw on 2.4 but noticed no improvement so put it back to 40 mw , no use potentialy harming hardware for no gain .
The router blows my netgear 3700 v-1 away , just tested tranfering the same files to one of my computers , netgear average 6 minutes , rt66 2 minutes . Neatger would get connection of NG 3700 108mbps down 54 up , rt66 216 108 up on the same computer in the same position , computer is 40 ft away through 2 walls 2 doors .
Reaches all through my basement , NG 3700 could not reach all spots in basement , even spots it could were weak , rt66 reaches with a good signal , good enough to play 720p files .
T

Using .100 for the past 12 hours, everything appears to be working well and very stable. I have ports forwarded, H/W Acceleration enabled, 4 IP cams connected (via dyndns), and recently added a 500GB USB drive. I have a NAS, but wanted to see how the system would respond with a USB drive connected.

The only (minor) complaint is; when I view wireless clients, I see mostly Mac and IP addresses. In the column that displays Mac addresses, a few will display the actual names of the client, but mostly Mac addresses. Is there a way to show names instead of Mac? That aside, I am pleased with the new FW...

What ports do you open for DYNDNS ? I want to have my nas available when I'm out of the country , but I forget which ports to open , have not run dyndns since I had my wrt 600 , for some reason my 3700 woul not play nice with DYNDNS so forgot how to set it up

With dyndns, you have many options. I would check the actual NAS to see which (if any particular) port is required for access.

Status
Not open for further replies.