What's new

Asus RT-N66U reverting back

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frustrata

New Around Here
Hi,
i use Asus AiMesh in my home and quite happy with it so far. Recently I got a 2nd internet connection and would like to use my old Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight router with it.
Currently it has the latest stock firmware on it.
i would like to go back to pre-nerf times with high outpur since obviously with current firmware a single router is no match for an AiMesh coverage.
However I thought if I can go back somehow, that would provide enough and quite acceptable coverage I believe. (I remember it had amazing range back then)

I would appreciate any help on this.
Thank you in advance.

I wouldn’t recommend using 2012 firmware on an Internet facing router in 2022. Better use the latest available stock firmware from 2020, John’s Fork or FreshTomato.

Thank you for your fast reply Tech9.
This router will not be up all the time. In fact it will stay off until there’s an intermittance in my main connection.
My wish is, when I turn it on it would have maximum coverage for 2.4G.

That’s my whole idea to revert back to 2012 pre-nerf firmware.
i’m not familiar with John’s Fork or FreshTomato, do they allow higher output levels than currect stock firmware? (as it‘s pretty awful as it is now)

NAT acceleration is available in FreshTomato for RT-N66U. This router was released with illegal power output settings, fixed now and not easily reversible. Use is with more current, stable and secure firmware.

Not a big deal for me really since the use will be perhaps, say 4-6 hours a year max. when/if the main connection has issues.
Basically it will stay switched off most of its life.
When there’s an intermittence with main service, I’ll turn it on, get coverage, then when main one is back, turn it off.
I really don’t want to purchase several new routers to make a secondary AiMesh just for that.

Is there tutorial or link for this reversing? I like to give this a shot.

Why not a Dual WAN with automatic fail over? This way you use your main network, just switch ISP connections when one fails.

Main one is cable, backup is gold old DSL. This Dark Knight is from these days. Good old happy days I guess.
I’ve never done a Dual Wan setup, I’ll read about it and consider for sure.

For the moment, how can I reverse this?

You need the firmware file saved (not available anymore) and attempt upload in Firmware Restoration Tool, if not blocked by Asus, hard reset after.

Main one is cable, backup is gold old DSL.

Both connections have their own modems with Ethernet port(s). Asuswrt has Dual WAN feature. You can assign one of the LAN ports as secondary WAN port. It doesn't work very reliably, but when set with 40+ attempts it eventually switches connections. May or may not fail back, but if you need the secondary connection only few times a year - not a problem. You can switch connections manually from router's GUI as well. This way you'll always use your main network and the old RT-N66U is not needed. I would connect both modems to the main router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!