What's new

Asus rt-N66u unable to get more than 197mbs download on a gigabit cable internet connection.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiMn8er

New Around Here
So I upgraded my internet from VDSL I was getting 25mbs up and 10mbs down. I switch to a coble net provider. 1000mbs down 50 mps up. When I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem I obtain thes speeds.
When i connect my laptop top the the lan pot on the asus tr-n66u and wan to the cable modem, I lose 600mbs of speed. Attached second pic.. Any idea what going on or is this a hardware limitation to this router dispite it being a gigabit router.

thanks for your input..

Attachments

• downloadspeed.jpg
    downloadspeed.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 46
  • downloadspeedII.jpg
    downloadspeedII.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 50
That's the fastest the RT-N66U can go with hardware acceleration disabled. With hardware acceleration enabled you should be able to get about 900 Mbps. Turn off QoS if you're using it. What firmware version are you using?

So I upgraded my internet from VDSL I was getting 25mbs up and 10mbs down. I switch to a coble net provider. 1000mbs down 50 mps up. When I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem I obtain thes speeds.
When i connect my laptop top the the lan pot on the asus tr-n66u and wan to the cable modem, I lose 600mbs of speed. Attached second pic.. Any idea what going on or is this a hardware limitation to this router dispite it being a gigabit router.

thanks for your input..

Gigabit router? Its 10+ years old, good luck.

Just because something has gig ports does not mean it can pass a gig. Just that it is intended to pass more than 100 megs.

If you have a gig internet connection it is time to upgrade your router.

That's the fastest the RT-N66U can go with hardware acceleration disabled. With hardware acceleration enabled you should be able to get about 900 Mbps. Turn off QoS if you're using it. What firmware version are you using?
Im using fresh tomato Version 2023.2 on Asus RT-N66U

Anything NAT acceleration incompatible enabled in FreshTomato (like per IP traffic) and your router can't reach 200Mbps. Also as far as I remember FreshTomato has NAT acceleration disabled by default. You need a better router for Gigabit ISP connection. This one was good in 2012.

The RT-N66U can do much better than what the OP found, but never up to the full ISP speed.
In general:
  1. Start with checking the wired connections between the modem and the router and between the router and client devices.
    • Verify that the WAN and LAN port speeds are sufficient (1 Gbps or even 2.5 Gbps).
  2. If there are, disconnect all USB devices.
  3. Install the latest available firmware version.
  4. Reset to factory defaults.
  5. Do not load an old configuration backup file, manual configure the router as outlined in the next step.
    • While making configuration changes: write them down so you do have a list of changes you made from factory defaults.
    • Restoring a configuration backup might bring back old issues, that is why the manual configuration is advised.
    • Whenever you restore a configuration backup: only restore the backup to exactly the same firmware branch and version as it was made with.
  6. Manual configure the router with the bare minimum, as:
    • Router Login Name.
    • Router Login Password.
    • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
    • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
    • Leave everything else default.
  7. Test the router behavior:
    1. Test with a wired connection first.
      • Verify that the WAN and LAN port speeds are sufficient (1 Gbps or even 2.5 Gbps).
    2. Test with a wireless connection at an unobstructed distance of about 3 meters.
      • Verify the Tx rate and Rx rate.
  8. After the above works all well you can consider more manual router configuration changes.

Install the latest available firmware version.

Not sure why you bumped this thread, but last official firmware version is from 2020 and anything newer like FreshTomato will have severe NAT acceleration related limitations due to now obsolete MIPS hardware. This router was good 12 years ago with back then ISP speeds and available clients.

We know all by now that you try to move everyone to newer routers, maybe not everyone is willing or able to buy a new router.

We know all by now that you try to move everyone to newer routers

Are you sure about your statement?

Someone asking a question 4 months ago perhaps figured it out already.

The RT-N66U can do much better than what the OP found, but never up to the full ISP speed.
In general:
  1. Start with checking the wired connections between the modem and the router and between the router and client devices.
  2. If there are, disconnect all USB devices.
  3. Install the latest available firmware version.
  4. Reset to factory defaults.
  5. Do not load an old configuration backup file, manual configure the router as outlined in the next step.
    • While making configuration changes: write them down so you do have a list of changes you made from factory defaults.
    • Restoring a configuration backup might bring back old issues, that is why the manual configuration is advised.
    • Whenever you restore a configuration backup: only restore the backup to exactly the same firmware branch and version as it was made with.
  6. Manual configure the router with the bare minimum, as:
    • Router Login Name.
    • Router Login Password.
    • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
    • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
    • Leave everything else default.
  7. Test the router behavior:
    1. Test with a wired connection first.
    2. Test with a wireless connection at an unobstructed distance of about 3 meters.
      • Verify the Tx rate and Rx rate.
  8. After the above works all well you can consider more manual router configuration changes.

Did you copy and paste that from somewhere? The N66U came out before 2.5G even existed. Anyone paying for a gig internet connection can't expect a 10+ year old router to handle it, and I'm assuming the OP figured that out months ago and got something new (or is just using the ISP router).

Are you sure about your statement?
Yes.
Someone asking a question 4 months ago perhaps figured it out already.
Assumption.
Did you copy and paste that from somewhere?
Yes, from my own files.
The N66U came out before 2.5G even existed.
I am very well aware of that, I do own a RT-N66U beyond more stuff.
Anyone paying for a gig internet connection can't expect a 10+ year old router to handle it, and I'm assuming the OP figured that out months ago and got something new (or is just using the ISP router).
Yes, assumption.
If you're willing to upgrade to gig, you have to be willing to use a router that came out in the last few years.
Why?
If you're able to pay for a gig, you're able to buy a new router.
How do you know the OP is paying or paying more than before and do you have insight in the OP's budget?
Indeed. Entry level modern routers are much more capable than 12-years old router
Sure, that doesn't mean you can't raise questions about a 12-year old router or car of computer or what ever.
and start under $100
What is $ ?
Please try to think out of your own comfortzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.