What's new

Asus RT3200? Optimize settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

San420baN

Occasional Visitor
I just upgraded my router from netgear night hawk 3200 to Asus RT-AC3200. I’m just tinkering around with the settings to optimize wifi and gaming performance. So far the smart connect enabled and 5GZ gave it a boost. Any advice on settings options for best performance. It is well appreciated - Thank you : )

I just upgraded my router from netgear night hawk 3200 to Asus RT-AC3200. I’m just tinkering around with the settings to optimize wifi and gaming performance. So far the smart connect enabled and 5GZ gave it a boost. Any advice on settings options for best performance. It is well appreciated - Thank you : )

Calm down ))))))

There is no right answer , every home is different.
Building construction, density of population , local interference.

You need to try settings to see what suits your needs.
On my AC3200 I have always found that the default settings were perfect for my needs.
I don't use smart connect.

Calm down ))))))

There is no right answer , every home is different.
Building construction, density of population , local interference.

You need to try settings to see what suits your needs.
On my AC3200 I have always found that the default settings were perfect for my needs.
I don't use smart connect.
I’m calmed down now. Thank you

Bump
anyone?
There are some generally recommended settings under the Professional tab that work well for many. Also channel and bandwidth settings preferences. But, it's an individual thing too. Search and you will find quite a few threads.

There are some generally recommended settings under the Professional tab that work well for many. Also channel and bandwidth settings preferences. But, it's an individual thing too. Search and you will find quite a few threads.

Thank you for now I will leave as is. WiFi working great

Thank you for now I will leave as is. WiFi working great

Assuming your 3200 is similar to my 86U, here are some basic configuration suggestions (you may not be looking for the basics):

o if using Smart Connect, then wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel will be adjusted automatically. If not using Smart Connect, then use separate SSIDs for each band.

o if not using Smart Connect, set 2.4 GHz WLAN to n-only, 20 MHz, CH 11... channels 1,6,11 at 20 MHz bandwidth do not overlap... use the least congested of these, WPA2-Personal AES;
set 5.0 GHz WLAN to n/ac mixed, 20/40/80 MHz, Auto, Auto, WPA2-Personal AES.

o do not hide SSIDs (will speed client connection).

o disable Airtime Fairness per band (can be incompatible with some wireless adapters).

o confirm Web Access from WAN is ALWAYS disabled.

o if running firmware 45149, then Administration\Privacy\Withdraw to disable Trend Micro engine until they fix it.

o disable WPS.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!