What's new

Asus RTAX92U backhaul issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My_dogs_White

Regular Contributor
I’ve installed two 92U’s in AIMesh. Everything is working well except I’m trying to get wifi6 working. As I understand it, the wifi6 on these routers will only work if you connect the AIMesh via Ethernet. If not the second 5GHz SSID (the one I understand is used for wifi6) is dedicated to wifi connection between the routers. And... no wifi6.

I have successfully set up the second node via Ethernet. I have logged into the router software and changed the node connection priority to wired and yet when I log into the app and toggle off the dedicated wireless backhaul and enable 160MHz, it automatically changes back to dedicated wireless backhaul.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong or what I’m missing?

I’ve installed two 92U’s in AIMesh. Everything is working well except I’m trying to get wifi6 working. As I understand it, the wifi6 on these routers will only work if you connect the AIMesh via Ethernet. If not the second 5GHz SSID (the one I understand is used for wifi6) is dedicated to wifi connection between the routers. And... no wifi6.

I have successfully set up the second node via Ethernet. I have logged into the router software and changed the node connection priority to wired and yet when I log into the app and toggle off the dedicated wireless backhaul and enable 160MHz, it automatically changes back to dedicated wireless backhaul.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong or what I’m missing?

No, but I'm interested. I wonder if you have to set things up first (wired backhaul), then add the node?

OE

Idk.. maybe? I did factory reset both the router and the node before connecting the node to the mesh via ethernet?

Ah, that's the threshold I was wondering about... node was added as wired. And now I see that in your OP (sorry).

Hmmm.

OE

Just as an update, I’ve been in contact with ASUS Support. they had me submit a wireless feedback form. I’ll post an update if anything comes of the request.

I’m very impressed with Asus Support. I have already received a response.

‘I am writing this email to provide you an update about your ongoing case. In accordance with recommendation of our engineers, Ethernet backhaul option for this particular model will still be using the 5HHz-2 band at this time. Our RD team is planning to release the restriction (without using the wireless band) for Ethernet backhaul setup within a month or so via firmware update.

So there we have it! Wifi6 will be working on the 92U via firmware update. I can finally sleep..

I’m very impressed with Asus Support. I have already received a response.

‘I am writing this email to provide you an update about your ongoing case. In accordance with recommendation of our engineers, Ethernet backhaul option for this particular model will still be using the 5HHz-2 band at this time. Our RD team is planning to release the restriction (without using the wireless band) for Ethernet backhaul setup within a month or so via firmware update.

So there we have it! Wifi6 will be working on the 92U via firmware update. I can finally sleep..

Im not sleeping! Its been few months, I have the latest fw 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c on AX92U and guess what - it still uses 5GHz-2 for backhaul without ANY WAY WHATSOEVER to disable this. Effectively this means no Wifi6 for clients connected to AX92U AiMesh nodes.

Im not sleeping! Its been few months, I have the latest fw 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c on AX92U and guess what - it still uses 5GHz-2 for backhaul without ANY WAY WHATSOEVER to disable this. Effectively this means no Wifi6 for clients connected to AX92U AiMesh nodes.

So, this AiMesh 2.0 setting doesn't work as advertised?

1605638457710.png

OE

You can enable AX mode for clients. All you have to do is select the 2nd 5Ghz band and unhide the SSD. It will then be available for clients to connect to, even if it's being used as a wireless backhaul. Just make sure the wifi6 /AX mode is set to enabled. To be 100% sure you can even set the Wireless Mode to wifi6 only.

1607814433439.png

Last edited: