What's new

ASUS TUF-AX5400 vs RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samitro

Occasional Visitor
I currently have 2x RT-Ax58U in mesh mode but one area of my house is not properly covered so would like a 3rd device. I'm thinking of getting of the of devices in subject to act as a main router and the other 2 as mesh nodes. Which would you recommend? Not so much concerened about the gaming features really. Thank you

You may find, as many already have, that a single well placed RT-AX68U is all you actually need.

Which would you recommend?

TUF-AX5400 is the same hardware as your AX58Us, but with some features unlocked and Gaming marketing. AX68U is not very popular here on SNB Forums and has a record of 5GHz connection issues. I would try to get at least AX86S, if a third router is really needed. Before you do that, play with your AX58Us placement. Too many AiMesh routers in smaller space may create interference issues. AiMesh works on all the same channels.

Apologies, I thought I had included this link in my post above (I got distracted at work).

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Two things to note when reading the link above. The RT-AC86U is considered nominally better than the RT-AX58U as a router and as an AP (at least for non-AX client devices). Secondly, a single RT-AX68U proved superior to 2x RT-AC86Us, even if the customer eventually decided to go with a 2x RT-AX68U setup (for 'peace of mind').

Many thanks for the reponses, my primary router is actually hidden under the stairs and while it covers the ground floor, it barely covers the terrace. The second node covers the 2nd floot. Was able to find the AX86S for just 10$ more than the AX68u so placed an order. Thanks @Tech9 for the proposal.

I would have saved the $10. :)

Actually, I would have bought both and tested which was better (better 4x4:4 better specs go to the RT-AX86s, above the 3x3:3 setup of the RT-AX68U).

I would have saved the $10. :)

Actually, I would have bought both and tested which was better (better 4x4:4 better specs go to the RT-AX86s, above the 3x3:3 setup of the RT-AX68U).
Would you recommend the RT-AX68U as a budget minded upgrade from the AC68P? I live in a complex with severe signal congestion and would like a router with better range and strength. From what I have found this has the same processor as the faulty AC86U but is far better in all respects. Thanks

You are looking for a new router from Sep 2022 or earlier and always look at cheap and unpopular models for some reason.

Yes, the RT-AX68U is still a recommended budget AX model. Great performance for the price.

Ignore the above comment. All Asus models are unpopular with them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!