What's new

Asus TUF-AX6000 WiFi and VPN issues in Web GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hammy434

Occasional Visitor
I just bought the TUF-AX6000 as it seemed the best value router with 2x 2.5GbE ports. Unfortunately I've been having issues with some of the options on the Web GUI, some basic things aren't possible which were on other Asus routers I've used.

1. On WiFi, I can't set a manual channel BW or channel while on Smart Connect, it's locked to auto. I need manual as auto picks bad channels. On previous Asus routers I used, manual channel BW and channel was possible with Smart Connect. I eventually managed to workaround this by pressing F12 and manually entering the option values and text on the 2.4 and 5GHz pages, and the router switched to those bandwidths and channels. But the GUI still says auto and I'm worried in case it changes channels in future if it thinks it's on auto.

2. On OpenVPN server, I can't change port to below 1024, it just says "Please enter a value between 1024 and 65535" when I set TCP port 443. Also there is no GCM encryption cipher available only CBC, Google says GCM is better than CBC.

3. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the router, but on WireGuard server if I set the port to UDP 123, the speeds from my WireGuard client are horrible. On the default port the speed seems fine so this seems strange.

So yeah I'm kind of lost and not sure what to do, because for the price this is like about half the price of the GT-AX6000 and AX88U-Pro in the UK so I really want to like it. Is there any way of working around or fixing the above issues? I'm on the latest firmware which is 3.0.0.4.388.31927 I've also tried changing these settings in the Asus Router app and I get the same issues.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!