What's new

Asus web history

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

simno

New Around Here
Hi, I have an asus router and turned on the web history feature because of concern of my children.
Many of the domains ends with googlevideo.com.

1922A4A6-C3EE-4016-9883-3C4DCD92C50D.jpeg

Question 1, what type of app generates these types of domains or is it via a homepage?

Question 2, is there any way to find the video file that has been viewed?

/concerned parent

googlevideo.com is used to upload YouTube videos. I'm wondering whether this is coming from a games console.The PS5 for example has an option "share" video of your gameplay on YouTube (and other platforms).

Okay, I don’t think it’s from a console since it’s viewed from an iPhone.
Could it be videos viewed on YouTube from a private tab in safari? Could test that myself of course. But is there a way to trace the actual video? Tried entering the address but did not work or course.

Well I've just done a little test and clicking on any YouTube video (i.e. playing it) causes a DNS request to one of those types of address. So despite what my Google Search told me :rolleyes: it's not just for uploading, but also playing. I suspect it's some sort of CDN server load balancing.

I vaguely remember these being related to Youtube ads, but don't quote me on that - my memory may be wrong.

I vaguely remember these being related to Youtube ads, but don't quote me on that - my memory may be wrong.
youtube ads indeed are one source. In general, it could be any stream service that uses googlevideo.com domains. However, from my understanding this should be restricted to youtube.

Question 2, is there any way to find the video file that has been viewed?
It can be done, but it will be very complicated. The connection is encrypted, so the router can only see the hostname, but not the entire URL. One way to do it is to create a certificate and have your kid's devices trust that certificate, then set up a man-in-the-middle proxy to intercept and decrypt traffic on the router, then you can know what your kids are watching. Many employee monitoring software do this too.

I think you'd have better chance finding out by digging through your kid's phone.

Youtube keeps an history of viewed videos if you use a Google accounts.