What's new

ASUS Wireless - AI-Mesh BIND feature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BruceCleghorn

New Around Here
Chaps

This should be a quick one / I've searched the ASUS website and SNB but couldn't find the answer.

So my laptop sits somewhere (in terms of -dbm) between the AIMesh Router and Node. I run Wireless Backhaul (hardwire not even a possibility) and would like to "Prefer" the Router over the the node to reduce traffic on the backhaul for those who actually need it, but still be able to roam when I need to.

Does the AIMesh BIND feature, "LOCK" you to the Router, or does it "PREFER" you to the router.

Thanks in advance
Bruce

Chaps

This should be a quick one / I've searched the ASUS website and SNB but couldn't find the answer.

So my laptop sits somewhere (in terms of -dbm) between the AIMesh Router and Node. I run Wireless Backhaul (hardwire not even a possibility) and would like to "Prefer" the Router over the the node to reduce traffic on the backhaul for those who actually need it, but still be able to roam when I need to.

Does the AIMesh BIND feature, "LOCK" you to the Router, or does it "PREFER" you to the router.

Thanks in advance
Bruce

You should try it with your network and client and find out... would have been even quicker.

OE

I've been wondering about the 'bind' feature too, but have been reluctant to try it out as there are plenty of reports about leaving most features off/as is with Asus mesh as some appear to cause problems. Anyone with a helpful response to the question?

The use of the word 'bind' suggests to me it will lock it to that device.

I've been wondering about the 'bind' feature too, but have been reluctant to try it out as there are plenty of reports about leaving most features off/as is with Asus mesh as some appear to cause problems. Anyone with a helpful response to the question?
I’ve use the bind feature and it works as far as I can see. For devices in my house that sit somewhere between nodes I’ve used the bind feature. I’ve not had any problems with it.

However my house isn’t big enough to completely lose “sight” of the node I’m bound too so I’m still curious to know if the node is simply preferred or is completely sticky. So if you completely lose sight of the node your bound too; will you move to another node. When it finally stops raining (yes I live in the UK) I’ll try moving a device into the garden and further from the bound node. More to follow.

Thanks for the replies :) I may try binding my laptop (which is normally between nodes) to see how it goes; I've also got a couple of Sky boxes that seem to latch on to the 'wrong' node so may try binding these too. Hope it's stopped raining Bruce, it's dry and (almost) sunny in Shropshire today ;)

Thanks for the replies :) I may try binding my laptop (which is normally between nodes) to see how it goes; I've also got a couple of Sky boxes that seem to latch on to the 'wrong' node so may try binding these too. Hope it's stopped raining Bruce, it's dry and (almost) sunny in Shropshire today ;)
Exactly what I did mate. Static PCs. Printers. Sky Boxes. That kinda thing. They had a strange habit of connecting to the basement and loft nodes. And thus using bandwidth on the backhaul. Now statically bound to the main router without issues.

Stopped raining and even got done gardening done. I’m sure winter will bite back just when we all thought spring was on its way.

I didn't have much success using the bind feature on my XT8s. Having set the Sky Q box/minis, various Sonos speakers and other odds and ends to each nearest node, within 24 hours two of the Sky mini's dropped their connections to wi-fi and refused to reconnect. Additionally, 3 Sonos units also disconnected from the router/node and disappeared from the Sonos app. I spent several hours trying to resolve these issues ( rebooting the individual devices, rebooting the router/nodes etc) without success. I've read elsewhere that changing settings in the XT8s can cause problems so perhaps I should have left the bind feature alone. In the end, I had to do a full reset of both XT8s and set the system up as new. Since then, all has been good again so keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way :rolleyes:

I know this is an old thread, but I haven't seen much discussion of this feature elsewhere. Re c4, the "bind" does *not* do what it says on the tin. My nodes are set up A -> B -> C, and I have a fixed wireless bridge at the far end of the house that's bound to C. The problem is that the B->C link can blip out every once in a while, and when it does the bridge connects to B, which it can *juuuust* barely see -- think 10Mbps tops. When this happens, the AiMesh status page shows a yellow exclamation mark on the client entry (under the "wrong" node, B) with a note that the client has been moved to the strongest signal. It stuck there for a while, then eventually moved back to C.