What's new

Asus WRt firmware vpn director not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dean.viens

Occasional Visitor
i setup my vpn and setup my director rules to only let 4 ip addresses through the vpn. — these are the ones that will not connect to the internet now. Everything else works. this is frustrating cuz i got no clue how to fix It.
firmware 338.1
2D107D70-6551-4175-AF6A-4CF319396F0D.jpeg

Last edited:
Your "Local IP" settings are wrong. 192.168.50.0/19 does not mean addresses 0 to 19. 192.168.50.20/30 does not mean addresses 20 to 30. A number after a slash (/) is a subnet mask in CIDR notation.

What addresses do you want going through the VPN and what addresses do you want going through the WAN?

I want 192.168.50.1 - 9 to wan and 20-30 vpn.
What do you want to happen to the other addresses? 10 to 19, and 31 to 254. It's important to know where you want any unspecified traffic to go, e.g. through the WAN or through a particular VPN.

Bear in mind that any addresses that aren't covered by a rule will default to going out the WAN just like normal. So for example, if you only had 4 addresses you want to go through OVPN5 you could create four rules (one for each address). All the other addresses would go through the WAN interface, there's no need to create a rule for them.

Last edited:
What do you want to happen to the other addresses? 10 to 19, and 31 to 254. It's important to know where you want any unspecified traffic to go, e.g. through the WAN or through a particular VPN.

Bear in mind that any addresses that aren't covered by a rule will default to going out the WAN just like normal. So for example, if you only had 4 addresses you want to go through OVPN5 you could create four rules (one for each address). All the other addresses would go through the WAN interface, there's no need to create a rule for them.
when i had the 4 ip addresses to go through VPN they didn't have internet access at all. it was very frustrating so I don't know what the problem is.

when i had the 4 ip addresses to go through VPN they didn't have internet access at all. it was very frustrating so I don't know what the problem is.
Did you have any other rules setup for the WAN interface when you did that? Conflicting WAN rules take precedence over VPN rules.

no i didnt. i eventually gave up and went back to the original firmware cuz then at least VPN worked and I could keep certain devices with VPN fusion. i just went to merlin for the kilswitch. i couldn't get it to work and I spent a few hours on it. idk if its the new router and firmware itself or what.

Can anyone confirm kill switch and VPN director working with ASUS GT-AX6000 plus merlin 338.1?
It seems to work differently then my previous AC86U. Once you give VPNDirector a subnet and VPN you are not able to select IPs from that subnet to go out through a different vpn, which i was able to do on AC86U.
This and the fact that the GT-AX6000 it takes way longer to boot up makes me wonder if the upgrade is worth it. Contemplating of sending it back, actually was waiting on a update that would fix this but time is running out.

Last edited:
hello
if you try to add the following???
rule1 : for 32ip : 192.168.50.0/27 with range 192.168.50.0 - 192.168.50.31 (subnet mask 255.255.255.224) (WAN FOR 32 CLIENTS)
rule2 : for 16ip : 192.168.50.80/28 with range 192.168.50.80 - 192.168.50.95 (subnet mask 255.255.255.240) (VPN FOR 16 CLIENTS)

Can anyone confirm kill switch and VPN director working with ASUS GT-AX6000 plus merlin 338.1?
The way that the default vpn killswitch works in 388.1 (from my understanding), is that all WAN traffic is blocked if the vpn connection for some reason crashes or dies... however, if you manually turn the vpn connection off using a toggle, or through automation, then WAN traffic is not blocked - eventhough the killswitch option is enabled.

This is one of the reasons I built KILLMON, which blocks all WAN traffic when vpn connections legitimately go down, as a killswitch is expected to do.

The way that the default vpn killswitch works in 388.1 (from my understanding), is that all WAN traffic is blocked if the vpn connection for some reason crashes or dies... however, if you manually turn the vpn connection off using a toggle, or through automation, then WAN traffic is not blocked - eventhough the killswitch option is enabled.

This is one of the reasons I built KILLMON, which blocks all WAN traffic when vpn connections legitimately go down, as a killswitch is expected to do.
In all fairness, you might want to let people also know that there is currently no 100% killswitch possible with some ASUS routers if it is even possible with any and if it is not 100% then it is not a killswitch, you cannot have half a killswitch or one that works in certain conditions.

In all fairness, you might want to let people also know that there is currently no 100% killswitch possible with some ASUS routers if it is even possible with any and if it is not 100% then it is not a killswitch, you cannot have half a killswitch or one that works in certain conditions.
True... this is not an industrial, commercial-grade killswitch... we are working with consumer equipment here, so all you get is some half-baked, enthusiast killswitch functionality due to router limitations and capabilities. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!