What's new

ASUS WRT-Merlin ver 386.2_6 vs 386.3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tim Storey

Occasional Visitor
Every since upgrading to 386.3, the router has been unable to connect to my VPN. I have spent a lot of time and energy trying to get the connection to work in version 386.3.
My router is an ASUS RT-AC68U, in service for approx. 4 years.
After going around and around with my VPN service support, they finally said "Just go back to the previous version. At least it worked."
I have removed USB drives and swap, and Pi-hole adblocker. Each time I reset the router and built a one client network, then added a OpenVPN client in the OpenVPN client tab.
Attached are the logs from configuring a new OpenVPN client on firmware version 386.2_6 and 386.3.
The differences I can see besides the various VPN IP address is that the OpenVPN on 386.2_6 is version 2.5.2 and on 386.3 is version 2.5.3, and there are 3 lines in 386.2_6 starting with /usr that are not in 386.3, along with a line about openvpn-routing not present in the 386.2_6 log.

Also, is there any way to remove the "watchdog: New firmware version 386.3_0 is available." so the blinking exclamation point no longer shows?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Every since upgrading to 386.3, the router has been unable to connect to my VPN.
The System Log will tell you why it's failing to connect.