What's new

ASUS XT12 With ASUS RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChaoscripT

Regular Contributor
Hi,
So I have pair of ASUS XT12 running Merlin firmware that connect by wired backhaul between them, I wanted to add more router to work as mesh node that also support Merlin, I found RT-AC86U (Yes I know it's not support WIFI6), and I understand that if I connect this to my XT12 the all network will "downgrade" to WIFI5 and also "downgrade" to the lowest speed the slowest router can do.
So I assume each router that I will connect (if it's not XT12, GT6000 or AX88U) will downgrade the speed.

Now I start to thinking, it's really worth it? the ASUS XT12 if I don't connect another "powerful" router?
Yes I know that as typical user I don't use all the network speed and it's all theoretical speed.

I start to think maybe to go with TP Link Deco series, they cheaper, but from what I read the firmware and software isn't good like ASUS and also lack of parental control (not that I use with ASUS).
I use Merlin firmware with NextDNS what I can't do with TP Link, as I will need to use IPV4 option.

What do you think?

Regards.

I understand that if I connect this to my XT12 the all network will "downgrade" to WIFI5
I have AC86u connected to XT12 wired and all clients connected to XT12 can benefit from wifi6. So network will not downgrade, only clients connected to ac86u will have slower wifi.

I have AC86u connected to XT12 wired and all clients connected to XT12 can benefit from wifi6. So network will not downgrade, only clients connected to ac86u will have slower wifi.
Really??

Then that's change the "game",
I don't care that who connect to the slowest router will get slow speed.

I just don't want that all the network will get low speed.

Roaming is also working. As you can see on screenshots, wifi changes from wifi 5 to wifi 6. I'm using this setup for about 6 months and no problems. Why ac86u? I bought 2 pack xd6 in promotion on amazon.pl for about 120$. It has wifi 6 and as aimesh node doesn't need a powerful cpu.
aimesh.pngScreenshot_20240131_144554_WiFiman.jpgScreenshot_20240131_144616_WiFiman.jpg

Last edited:
Roaming is also working. As you can see on screenshots, wifi changes from wifi 5 to wifi 6. I'm using this setup for about 6 months and no problems. Why ac86u? I bought 2 pack xd6 in promotion on amazon.pl for about 120$. It has wifi 6 and as aimesh node doesn't need a powerful cpu.
View attachment 56093View attachment 56094View attachment 56095

Nice to know! Thanks for images.
If it's not influence entire the network it's good.

Another question, do you use Merlin firmware?