What's new

Asus XT12 or ET12

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Micha-NRW

New Around Here
Hello,

We would like to purchase a mesh WiFi system and are torn between the ASUS XT12 Pro and the ET12 Pro.
The XT12 has two 5 GHz bands, the ET12 has a 5 GHz and a 6 GHz band.

Does it make more sense to take the ET12 with the new 6 GHz band (backhaul)?
The 5 GHz band would then also transmit in the upper channels (with 1000 mW),
whereas with the XT12 one band transmits in the lower band (channels 36-48) and one band in the upper band (from channel 100 - backhaul)).

For example, with an iPhone, do you benefit from the higher transmission power in the upper band? Or can the iPhone not transmit back at 1000 mW?
Are there devices that can only transmit in the lower band or can all WLAN devices transmit in all 5 GHz ranges?

What I also don't understand: Isn't it possible for both 5 GHz bands to work in the upper band from channel 100 on the XT12? Or are there overlaps then?

Does it make sense to give the backhaul a dedicated band or does it make more sense to open all 3 bands?

I have the XT12 here to test, and I also have a question about the channel setting:
If I have activated 5Ghz / 80Mhz, I can choose between channels 36/40/44/48, but according to the specifications, channel 42 or 50 is available at 80Mhz.
Does he then choose this channel internally? If I activate 160 MHz, I can also choose between these 4 channels, although that should actually be channel 50?

Thank you for your answers,
Michael

If I have activated 5Ghz / 80Mhz, I can choose between channels 36/40/44/48, but according to the specifications, channel 42 or 50 is available at 80Mhz.

Ch. 42 is 80MHz wide 36-48.

Ch. 50 is 160MHz wide 36-64.

Isn't it possible for both 5 GHz bands to work in the upper band

No, the 5GHz band will be split on lower and upper channels to 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 radio.

Thanks for the reply.

When I display the WLAN options on my Macbook, it says: Channel 36, 160 MHz. Isn't that wrong then?

If I scan the available networks with a WLAN scanner, channel 36 is also shown to me...

Greeting, Michael

Channel 36, 160 MHz. Isn't that wrong then?

This is channel 50 with control channel 36. The router will switch automatically to channel 42 with control channel 36 when DFS range is not available. The channel numbers for wider than 20MHz channels are rarely used in consumer electronics to avoid the confusion. Most list the control channel and channel bandwidth in MHz.

Keep in mind ET12 with 6GHz backhaul may have shorter range with less wall penetration and perhaps your routers must be closer.

No, the 5GHz band will be split on lower and upper channels to 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 radio.
Why does it have to be split?
Can't one band take channel 106 and one band 122?

Keep in mind ET12 with 6GHz backhaul may have shorter range with less wall penetration and perhaps your routers must be closer.
I've already thought about that... But 6 GHz doesn't interfere that much, right?
Somehow it doesn't feel so good to buy an "old" system...
Isn't it better for the future to have the 6 Ghz band?
I can open the 5Ghz-2 band to everyone and also have a band with high transmission power, so that wouldn't be the problem...

Why does it have to be split?

XT12 is in fact dual-band tri-radio router. You can't have 2x radios running on the same channels inside one device. They will be competing for the same channel bandwidth effectively eliminating the potential advantages of tri-radio design.

But 6 GHz doesn't interfere that much, right?

5GHz band also doesn't interfere that much being relatively short range. Don't look at Wi-Fi Analyzer type apps. What you see there is just networks around tuned on specific channels. They don't show available bandwidth, mostly useless for Wi-Fi planning.

Isn't it better for the future to have the 6 Ghz band?

You are looking at disposable consumer products. When this future comes for you this product will be on End-Of-Life list with no support. Don't overpay for features you don't need now. When you have many 6GHz capable devices a new consumer product will be available, better and perhaps cheaper than what you are looking at right now.

XT12 is in fact dual-band tri-radio router. You can't have 2x radios running on the same channels inside one device. They will be competing for the same channel bandwidth effectively eliminating the potential advantages of tri-radio design.
But it wouldn't run on the same channels?
At 80 MHz it has a choice between 4 channels in the upper band...
But the ET12 is a true tri-band router?