What's new

Asus XT8 app upload speed much faster than speedtest.net

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grayson73

Occasional Visitor
When I run the internet speed test from within the ASUS app, I get 520 Mbps download and 558 Mbps upload. I assume that's directly from the router.

When I run it from my phone 15 feet away, I get 515 Mbps download and 182 Mbps upload with my 5GHz wifi. Any ideas on why the upload speed is so different?.

My desktop, which is connected via ethernet cable, is 452 Mbps download and 410 Mbps upload.

Last edited:
Is FiOS your internet service provider? There's a longstanding issue with the XT8 where it doesn't handle the upload speeds over WiFi. ASUS is aware of the problem and has done nothing to address it.

Is FiOS your internet service provider? There's a longstanding issue with the XT8 where it doesn't handle the upload speeds over WiFi. ASUS is aware of the problem and has done nothing to address it.
Yes, FiOS is. I didn't know that. Is it only a FiOS issue?

I haven't tried it on any other ISP that can do high upload speeds. Cable providers typically offer poor upload speeds well below 200mbps, so users would never notice the issue.

We have AT&T fiber, and yes, the upload speed is usually less than the download speed on Wi-Fi. The further from the AP, the lower. Doesn’t bother me, it’s always so much higher using symmetric fiber than it was with Comcast broadband, I notice it but don’t worry about it. On gigabit network, the upload speed I see from my router is always more than about 300Mbps on WiFi-6, no shortage there. Mesh generally looks better, since you‘re generally closer to an AP, but still see this to a degree.

Last edited:
If you don't need WiFi6 for a specific use case, you could always just get a Google WiFi 3pack and it will definitely hit 500/500 - my parents have it and it works great. I stopped using it only because it doesn't support port forwarding which I need for my NAS.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!