What's new

Asus XT8 - computer brings WAN link down under load

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sudiar

New Around Here
Hi there,

I recently installed an Asus Zenwifi XT8 set (a router and one node) in my home.
Since then I had a few times where I lost my Internet connection. Even restarting the Asus XT8 wouldn't get it working again. I have to restart my modem.
There is no error message in the Asus Xt8's system log.
I didn't have these issues with my previous Ubiquiti Amplifi HD.
There didn't seem to be a outage of my ISP.

After doing some research I tried the following:
- Changing the DHCP query setting
- Swapping the CAT6 cable between my modem and the Asus XT8.
- Updating to the latest Asus XT8 firmware.
- Doing a factory reset and hard reset.

These things didn't solve the issue.

But then I discovered what triggered the Internet connection going down. And now I can reproduce this any time I want.
The issue of losing my internet connection only happens when my son's MSI gaming laptop is downloading large games from Steam.
This gaming PC is the only device in my home using Wifi6. It has an Intel AX200 Wifi6 chip.
I don't have this problem when using a lot of bandwith or downloading from Steam from any other laptop or PC.

I could try turning off Wifi6, but of course that would kind of defeat the purpose of buying a Wifi6 router.

Do any of you have another suggestion I could try?

Thanks,
Michel

The AI Protection shutdown entire network when a computer is using P2P, and there is no way to allow for exception. You might try turning off AI Protection to see if it helps or not.

The AI Protection shutdown entire network when a computer is using P2P, and there is no way to allow for exception. You might try turning off AI Protection to see if it helps or not.
Thanks for your quick reply!
I forgot to mention this in my post, but I had already turned off AI Protection.

I have now tried to limit the bandwidth of my son's PC to about 75% of my Internet bandwidth. Not perfect, but I will try if this avoids the issue.

do you enable Guest Network 1?

do you enable Guest Network 1?
I have guest network disabled.

Tonight I had another WAN link down, but this time it was not related to this one specific PC.
I just downgraded my XT8 to previous firmware (42095). A few people thought this firmware was more stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!