What's new

ASUS XT8 No 2.4 GHz on root node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Brand new two node XT8, upgraded to 3.0.0.4.386_42095. Using Smart Connect and Wi-Fi backhaul, WPA3-Personal security.

I have a client that scans each band and reports what it sees. 5 GHz scan looks fine. But 2.4 GHz scan shows only 2.4 GHz on leaf node. Only occasionally will I see 2.4 GHz BSS on root node.

Is this an AiMesh "feature"?

I know my scan device is good because I've looked at lots of other mesh systems and routers with it (It's part of my testbed).

Crickets, eh?

I found by packet capture that the XT8 is not sending beacons on 2.4 GHz. It does respond to probes with its SSID. But it sends beacons only on 5 GHz.

Does anyone know if this is an AiMesh "feature"?

It doesn't sound like an intended feature. Do you get the same results after a factory reset?

Sounds like the primary node uses it as a dedicated backhaul. Not sure if this is intentional or not however.

Sounds like the primary node uses it as a dedicated backhaul. Not sure if this is intentional or not however.
I don't think that is the case. I usually see backhaul links when i scan. They just have either no SSID or a different SSID than the user-set SSID.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!