What's new

Asus XT8 & Policy Rules for VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jessejk

New Around Here
Hi there,

I am wondering if you can forward a particular IP on your network through a VPN using the Asus XT8's. I know this was possible on the AC-RT68U but can't seem to find the same option on the XT8's.

Sorry if this is a stupid question as the XT8's are Mest Points.

Regards
Jesse

I'm unaware of *any* consumer-grade wifi routers running oem/stock firmware that support routing policy rules. And by that I mean, the ability to dictate specifically which *source* IPs are routed over the VPN rather than the WAN.

In fact, this is a major reason why users gravitate to third-party firmware, like AsusWRT-Merlin, FreshTomato, DD-WRT, etc. It's one of many reasons why I use third-party firmware w/ my ASUS RT-AC68U.

Last edited:
you can do it with Edge Router or MikroTik for example - it is one of the reasons that people or even small companies (for budget routers) that do not want/ cannot use alternative soft are using those solutions.

what FW you were using on RT-AC68U? If it was RMerlin you know why it was working.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Come to think of it I had loaded the AC68U with the merlin firmware :)

One more question, and I will look for this, but is the Merlin firmware compatible with the XT8's also?

Regards
Jesse

Darnit yep just checked :confused:

Much appreciated for the info. Guess it will be full VPN for the household or nothing.

Regards
Jesse

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!