What's new

ASUS XT8 - Wifi Drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ArthusWQZ

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I've been searching on the forum for a similar topic, but all I could find was people with slow wifi speed. My problem is a little different ; my wifi drops from time to time. For example, I'm calling someone on my computer, and suddenly, no internet. I am still connected to the wifi, and it works on other devices, but not on my computer. I have to wait a little, from 30 seconds to 2-3 minutes to get the internet back online. My phone gets the same problem.

I don't know what causes this. I have three ASUS XT8 devices, one set as an access point / AiMesh router (directly plugged in my router, using LAN), and the others as AiMesh nodes. I tried disabling Smart Connect, the problem is still there.

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks in advance,
Arthus

Hi guys,

I've been searching on the forum for a similar topic, but all I could find was people with slow wifi speed. My problem is a little different ; my wifi drops from time to time. For example, I'm calling someone on my computer, and suddenly, no internet. I am still connected to the wifi, and it works on other devices, but not on my computer. I have to wait a little, from 30 seconds to 2-3 minutes to get the internet back online. My phone gets the same problem.

I don't know what causes this. I have three ASUS XT8 devices, one set as an access point / AiMesh router (directly plugged in my router, using LAN), and the others as AiMesh nodes. I tried disabling Smart Connect, the problem is still there.

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks in advance,
Arthus
I bought this today and same thing. Went online to see if anyone else has same issues and there's tonnes of threads and same thing. I'm on 1GBPS speeds and this router is shirt. My 2 year old $200 one from netgear was doing better. This is a joke and a waste of money I paid $800 for this. It's a joke and before you nerds start, the ISP is perfect I'd get 900mbps wired and 450mbps wireless off my old $200 netgear WiFi extender that's literally 30 meters from the router. Asus doesn't even give me above 250-350 asus should be embarrassed.

What is the Wi-Fi adapter in your computer?

What are the devices that work ok?

Do you know which mesh node the problem computer and phone are connected to?

My computer is actually a laptop, so I have a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 adapter.

Now I realized a few things ; I tried a hard factory reset on every XT8 device I had and completely reconfigured my network. I switched one of my AiMesh with the AiMesh router. It seemed to work okay, but then my wifi dropped again on my computer. Nevertheless, I realized that every single device connected to the same node as my computer was also out of broadband (but still connected).

I guess the node is losing connection to the AiMesh router. And it probably automatically reconnects right then. Could be a reason for the 1-3 minutes delay. By the way, the node that seems to be causing this issues was not switched when I reconfigured the network.

Now what could be the problem between the nodes ? The dashboard tells me the connection is excellent. I will try to switch the problematic node with the other one. Maybe changing the current control channel could make a difference ?

Hi,

I see the same symptoms, not sure about the root cause.

I bought some months ago a couple XT8’s as access points to replace the network provider’s Wi-Fi (the router remains, very solid performance). The backhaul is Wi-Fi (5ghz-2). Recently, I added a 58U as a node to reach a dead spot, that I was able to wire to the distant node.
Experiencing a broken access to Internet every 10-20 minutes, I installed a software for easy pinging and monitoring, that confirmed a sudden 100% packet loss, sending PC desktops, PC laptops, iOS tablets and iOS phones into total connectivity loss (i.e. starting searching for a Wi-Fi signal) randomly for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Funny thing: only the devices connected to the distant nodes were affected, not the ones connected to the main XT8.
I tried all the firmware, including beta ones, up to the latest.
I reverted only the main XT8 to 42095. This eliminated 99% of those painful events.

If you are trying to use 160 MHz bandwidth on any client or mesh node, switch to 80 MHz.

As of the last day now it also keeps dropping out, this happens every 20-30 mins.

I've changed settings and tried all ways, whether it was disabling dual band smart connect and having 2.4ghz and 5ghz run separately. Or by enabling dual smart connect.

Also whether I use it in WIRELESS ROUTER MODE or ACCESS POINT MODE

If I do a speed test from within the app I literally get 980MBPS, so its showing thats what the router is receiving, my plan is 1000MBPS/50MBPS I'm with aussiebroadband they are the only ones at the moment offering these plans, they are not the issue as when I plug in an old router and a $170 WiFi extender I get faster speeds than the ASUS XT8. This is ridiculous because I paid $800 from the ASUS from BingLee.

If anyone has any suggestions please let us know and others should be warned off this product to save them the hassle.

Have you tried the latest stable firmware 42095?
All newer firmware versions are broken and unusable (see other threads).
It made me upgrade to the latest firmware and I don't have any idea how to change to old. I called ASUS and you speak to people who are just employers trying to get paid and do their job best way they know how, they are oblivious to these issues and don't know how to help, they are overseas and I can't blame them for what this shirt company does.

I bought this today and same thing. Went online to see if anyone else has same issues and there's tonnes of threads and same thing. I'm on 1GBPS speeds and this router is shirt. My 2 year old $200 one from netgear was doing better. This is a joke and a waste of money I paid $800 for this. It's a joke and before you nerds start, the ISP is perfect I'd get 900mbps wired and 450mbps wireless off my old $200 netgear WiFi extender that's literally 30 meters from the router. Asus doesn't even give me above 250-350 asus should be embarrassed.
Asus AX routers can acheive 900mb/s over WiFi.

You need to setup 160mhz mode. Lots of threads here about it.

Last edited:
Hi,

I see the same symptoms, not sure about the root cause.

I bought some months ago a couple XT8’s as access points to replace the network provider’s Wi-Fi (the router remains, very solid performance). The backhaul is Wi-Fi (5ghz-2). Recently, I added a 58U as a node to reach a dead spot, that I was able to wire to the distant node.
Experiencing a broken access to Internet every 10-20 minutes, I installed a software for easy pinging and monitoring, that confirmed a sudden 100% packet loss, sending PC desktops, PC laptops, iOS tablets and iOS phones into total connectivity loss (i.e. starting searching for a Wi-Fi signal) randomly for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Funny thing: only the devices connected to the distant nodes were affected, not the ones connected to the main XT8.
I tried all the firmware, including beta ones, up to the latest.
I reverted only the main XT8 to 42095. This eliminated 99% of those painful events.
Same Problem, after updating the firmware. I am back @ 42095 and it works again. It´s a bit a pain, that the last firmwares have problems. Asus should check their updates better.

Hi guys,

Final update : I reverted to version 42095 and it is working perfectly. It's the only solution apparently.
For those who may have the same problem and be hesitant with going back to version 42095, downgrading to this version does not alter any feature of the device (at least for the XT8).

Thank you all for your help.

If you are in the US and using the DFS channels, try disabling that feature. If your router is on a DFS channel and an aircraft or weather radar is detected, the router must go silent immediately and search for a non interfering channel. If it moves to another DFS channel, it must delay and listen before allowing connections.

If you are in the US and using the DFS channels, try disabling that feature. If your router is on a DFS channel and an aircraft or weather radar is detected, the router must go silent immediately and search for a non interfering channel. If it moves to another DFS channel, it must delay and listen before allowing connections.

That's interesting, thanks @Morris .

I do live near a very small airport (2 km in straight line, and some landing routes indeed come very close to my home).

I will try this, but it would be nice to have a pop-up from the Asus app (or anything, really) that explains what is happening, and that the fallback doesn't fail in a spectacular way, I guess.

That's interesting, thanks @Morris .

I do live near a very small airport (2 km in straight line, and some landing routes indeed come very close to my home).

I will try this, but it would be nice to have a pop-up from the Asus app (or anything, really) that explains what is happening, and that the fallback doesn't fail in a spectacular way, I guess.
Channel change is in the log including the reason.

Morris

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!