What's new

ASUS XT8 wifi issues with latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45934 (AP mode)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’m on AP mode protected by main router as well.
By the way it’s quite annoying that I can’t upgrade my two nodes, which costed top dollars, to the last firmware version because ASUS is not able to fix this issue.

Okay so since I have Mikrotik 3011UiAS -router which had previously only one ethernet cable going to the Zyxel GS1920-24hp managed switch and from there the ethernet cables was going to XT8 main router ap LAN port and to XT8 Node WAN port.

What I did is that since my router has extra ports I removed the XT8 devices the ethernet cable from switch and inserted directly to the router (skipping switch) and checked that its still working fine and then enabled ethernet backhaul mode and now its working like a charm.

So if anybody else is using XT8 in Access Point mode in ethernet backhaul mode and has router + switch (probably the reason is that its managed switch) I suggest to try to insert the ethernet cable directly in the router LAN port <---> XT8 main node LAN port and router LAN port <---> XT node WAN port.

Thank you all for helping! I hope now my wifi issues are gone.. I'll keep monitoring and report back here.
This is the 4th day and wifi running smoothly and best speeds I've got are +750mbps. So I'm very happy with this. I haven't changed any extra settings except below

- 2,4GHz channel 3
- 5 GHz-1 channel 44
- 5GHz channel 100 and ticked out "enable 160 MHz"
- enabled Ethernet Backhaul Mode

I took delivery of the XT8 twin pack a couple of days ago to upgrade from an Orbi RBK50 twin pack. First impressions were great but it immediately updated the firmware and I experienced multiple WiFi drops with a Google Nest Outdoor Cam.

After much reading and tinkering I rolled back the firmware to 42095 yesterday and it’s been rock solid so far. I would have sent it back to Amazon but barring any further WiFi issues I’ll be keeping it. It was dropping connection with the camera at least once an hour on average. Now 24 hours later not a single drop.

The ASUS UI is head and shoulders above the Netgear Orbi. I am in the UK and the wireless backhaul is connected at 160Mhz and completely stable with one floor and two walls between units.

I have AX11000 as the main router and 3 x XT8s as APs. One of the issues I have is that they keep ignoring my specified topology, ie Preferred WiFi Uplink AP setting - I’ve tried both 3.0.0.4.386_45934 and 386 rc3-3 firmware to no avail, has any one figured how force them to stick to the right setting?

Also, many devices - both IOTs and Macs - choose their AP very weirdly, ie definitely not the closest one/the one with the strongest signal, what can be causing that?

The cause is probably too much WiFi.

Try beta firmware 9.0.0.4.386_57317-gd068439 so far no issues and didn't have to reset modem. I no longer have the issue of devices losing connection. It's been about a week of testing. Getting good internet speeds as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!