What's new

Asus XT8's AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AKLT

Occasional Visitor
Thinking of putting a firewalla gold between the XT8's and modem, since FWG acts a router as well, gotta set the XT8's in AP mode.

Hence was thinking if the XT8's will still offer its band steering or smart connect features and generally still maintain its features.

Yes, XT8's will work in AP mode with AiMesh and SmartConnect, but you'll lose all Asuswrt advanced features like AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, etc. Firewalla as your router has to do all this. It can do it similarly or better, by the way. You'll also lose true Guest Network feature. This is the main drawback in such setup. It will be available in XT8 GUI, but won't separate guest clients from your main network.

Here is an example AiMesh setup in AP mode:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for clarifying, yes I was assuming the FWG would give me enough control to replace what is disabled when its in AP mode.

I guess for the loss of the Guest network I could simply set up a VLAN for it with its own set of rules if neessary.

Thanks again!

Oh dang. This might sound ridiculous but what are the odds that i can hook up a different AP not linked to the ASUS APs?

Kinda like having 2 physically different APs (and SSIDs), 1 meant just for guests.

Kinda like having 2 physically different APs (and SSIDs), 1 meant just for guests.

You can do that, but the extra AP may not cover your entire home. This is not a problem, eventual guest in your bedroom won't ask for Wi-Fi anyway. ;)

Yes, XT8's will work in AP mode with AiMesh and SmartConnect, but you'll lose all Asuswrt advanced features like AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, etc. Firewalla as your router has to do all this. It can do it similarly or better, by the way. You'll also lose true Guest Network feature. This is the main drawback in such setup. It will be available in XT8 GUI, but won't separate guest clients from your main network.

Here is an example AiMesh setup in AP mode:
Hi, I wonder if the USB port will work for attaching storage or a printer.
Thanks

Thank you so much for clarifying, yes I was assuming the FWG would give me enough control to replace what is disabled when its in AP mode.

I guess for the loss of the Guest network I could simply set up a VLAN for it with its own set of rules if neessary.

Thanks again!
Hi,
did you find out if the firewall gold

Thanks again!
Doesn't the Firewalla Gold offer a guest LAN functionality at all?
Also please, is the USB port on the XT8 still working in AP mode?
Thank you

Hi,
did you find out if the firewall gold

Doesn't the Firewalla Gold offer a guest LAN functionality at all?
Also please, is the USB port on the XT8 still working in AP mode?
Thank you

Yes, the wired ethernet ports and the USB port on the XT8 work in AP mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!