What's new

Asus XT8's in Bridge Mode - Setup with Firewalla

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AKLT

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

Was deep into researching dependable wifi 6 mesh setups for my upcoming home and come across the XT8's and also this forum with quite a few issues raised.

Wanted some feedback if this would be stable enough for my home that will have a fair number of IoT accessories ranging from wall switches to curtains all linked to HomeKit.

• ISP Modem
    • Firewalla Gold (Router Mode)
      • Asus XT8 (Main, AP Mode)
        • Switch
          • 2x Asus XT8's wired backhaul
          • 1x Asus XD4 wired/wireless backhaul (since the XT8's come in sets of 3)
          • 1x Synology NAS wired directly to the switch
          • TVs, and other rooms potentially all wired via either ports
Any potential issues that might rise up? Hearing about nodes dropping and reconnecting randomly is a big no-no for me.

Cheers in advance fellas.

Last edited:
Im using it AP mode with one wireless nodes with pfsense and have no issues so far.

I am sticking with the 42095 firmware for my environment/my devices

You lose the guest network mode in AP mode if you are looking to dump IOT devices to their own network. If all your devices are gonna be on the same subnet then its not a big deal

Im using it AP mode with one wireless nodes with pfsense and have no issues so far.

I am sticking with the 42095 firmware for my environment/my devices

You lose the guest network mode in AP mode if you are looking to dump IOT devices to their own network. If all your devices are gonna be on the same subnet then its not a big deal

Thanks for sharing. What does your setup look like?

Any issues when setting up the AiMesh?

I've had a lot of issues with ESP devices dropping off the grid. Eventually I just added a legacy 802.11n AP on a different channel, and that solved it. 2.4GHz has a long reach, and these devices don't need a strong signal, so you likely need just 1 or 2 APs.

W
I've had a lot of issues with ESP devices dropping off the grid. Eventually I just added a legacy 802.11n AP on a different channel, and that solved it. 2.4GHz has a long reach, and these devices don't need a strong signal, so you likely need just 1 or 2 APs.
we got a ton of concrete walls between rooms so the signal drops significantly.

Thinking of placing 1 at each corner and having a wired backhaul

I also have plenty of concrete walls. 2.4GHz manages to go through with enough signal for IoT. Definitely not good enough for web browsing, but IoT doesn't need much.

Thanks for sharing. What does your setup look like?

Any issues when setting up the AiMesh?
pfsense(does all the layer 3 routing on my network)----unifi switch----(port assigned to vlan 100)-----asus made node in AP mode -----wireless-----2nd Asus in AP node

No issues so far

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!