What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 - 5Ghz-2 Backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hope you find the best optimsed setting for you. Some have found 42095 firmware the best.

As you can see from the following thread, I also have some problems with this. It is just finding the best set up for you on the right firmware. Mine just happens to be 43170 with 5GHz-2 'Hide SSID' to yes and 'Channel Bandwidth' to 160MHz.

I’m having issues with the 5g2 at 160hz. I can not manually select the control channel, and the auto select seems to do a horrible job. If I reboot sometimes I can select the channel, then it will work great and I’ll have darn near full speed and then it will randomly die and be slow, like 4-30mbs when I have a gig of service. Then going back into the settings, I can’t pick the channel and it will say auto, then it will say on the right in yellow, current channel 149 or etc, which is not even an option when only selecting 160hz. It is if you put it on 20/40/80/160.

Have you tried a full factory reset on all the nodes?

You should enable client access to the AX backhaul channel. This will give your wifi6 devices a throughput boost.

Also, make sure the AX channel is set to 160mhz only, not 40/80/160. This being set incorrectly is what prevents 160mhz. You must get it to connect at 160mhz. Try control channel 100 and enable DFS to get it working.

Last edited:
New update is now available (3.0.0.4.386_43181-g6099e58).

Hoping it includes system stability on the backhaul

Just to share -- I kept experiencing timeouts between my XT8 satellite and base station on 43170. Multiple times per day, I would stop receiving any data, but still kept transmitting: if I was on a video call, people could still see and hear me, but I could not see or hear them. Lasted 5-10s. Using the 5Ghz-2 backhaul as WiFi6, limited to 80 MHz here. Issue occurs whether I was connected to the satellite via 5GHz or wired, and would occur simultaneously for another computer in the same office, but no one else in the house that was directly connected to the base station.

Tried everything: factory reset of all routers; tune the WiFi settings various ways; disabled WiFi6 on the 5GHz-1, etc. Eventually I gave up and rolled back the 429095, and it has been rock solid since. (I still have WiFi6 off).

Will be curious to see if this new version 43181 fixed the issue, but am going to hold off a few weeks.

Last edited: