What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

V1 hardware. Hard reset main and node. Upgraded to 22068. Drops nodes. No wireless connect to Nodes. Wired backhaul. Nothing special config. All default. Access point mode for both main router and node. Speeds faster yes. But nodes don't work. Have tried a couple of resets and firmware. Went back to older firmware. All nodes worked. Applied 22068. Nodes don't work. This build is flawed.

I'm on version 1 of 22068. My backhaul is hardwired. Since the update, I've been having issue with the node turning red and going offline. Very irritating. I'm going to see if things don't stabilize over the next day or two, but then may downgrfade node to 21099 as others have suggested. Of course, that means turning off auto update, since it will try to restore the newest. Super irritating.
21099 works for me too. Slower than 22068 but nodes don't work

There is no obvious pattern as this version for me is stable and fast and I am hardware v1. 4 XT8s wireless backhaul.

I did initally have issues with nodes not connecting but dropped my 5G-2 to 80Mhz from 160Mhz and its been solid since.

I have gig internet and can achieve 700-800 whilst connected to any of the nodes. I cant get better even right near the main router but to be honest on no version have I been able to. Even with a cable I seem to struggle to get the maximum speed that is around 700-800 as well. My WAN test normally manages 900-930. Although again on some versions I have found that can drop a lot lower.

I also have a car charger outside on far side of garage which was constantly losing wifi but even that seems to be staying connected on this new version.

I am contemplating not upgrading if another version comes out as I always do and I always seem to have issues and end up having to wipe everything and go back to previous version to get stable again.

Although I am sure I will be suckered in even if its just for the security updates.

Funny... my nodes will connect just fine and show GREAT for a connection quality it is just no Wireless devices will connect to the Node. On previous builds, recently 21099, I would have 8-10 devices on the Node. Now Zero. No matter what I do.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 95
So I put my Node back to 21099 and now devices are connecting to the Node and performance through it is strong at 800mbps up and down on a 1GB up/down Fiber WAN to the internet.

new here and thanks up front for all you do. having dropped node and no device on node issues since 3.0.0.4.388.22068.
i have 3 XT8's, 2 mesh nodes are on ethernet backhaul in the 2.5 G plug. ATT 1 Gig internet. 45 networked items (30 wireless). each node has a device in the Nodes remaining ethernet ports and they are the only devices that ever connect. half my house used to connect to one of the nodes.
MAYBE log entries have always shown/measured RCPI:
e.g. Jan 12 02:51:03 roamast: sta[52:AB:1C:EE:8F:21] on ap[F0:2F:74:5A:C4:E4], rcpi is 64 and rssi is -78
but if so, why wouldn't it be covered in the Smart Connect rule?
have opened a ticket with Asus because i cannot even downgrade to another version. Tried 3 factory resets, manually and with the two different interfaces and still cannot downgrade the router. downgrading nodes was simple. tried the Firmware Restoration tool but it says the router is not in Rescue mode

Last edited:
any ideas why after rolling back to 21617 the Asus admin page is extremely laggy? any1 having the same issues?

I have problems with 2nd node poor connection, drops to low bandwidth 2.4 connection, for ages now, the latest version that is stable for me is 3004386_46061 which is pretty old now. So I decided to have another go. 5 mins after upgrade the 2nd node dropped its connection down to 2.4 and provided terrible speeds, just like previous versions. Did a factory reset from the the gui and the 2nd node would not be found, this happens most times I reset it, so did a hard reset on it, still would not connect. After a number of hard and soft resets it finally connected and has been stable on 5_2 back haul for 20 hours now :). I have done hard resets on previous versions and it hasn't worked so not claiming success just yet, but normally it only lasts a few in minutes so is much better then previous FWs. Will see how it goes over the next few days.
10 days and it has been rock solid now for me, even using 160 on the backhaul. Seems a hard reset post upgrade worked this time (although it hasn't previously)

Had nothing but trouble with 3.0.0.4.388.21617 and 3.0.0.4.388.22068.
Finally did this:
  • kept main router at 22068
  • downgraded other node to 21099
Last 24 hours have been seemingly stable.
Would speculate they introduced regression with 21617 _on repeaters_
My XT8 is great for 2 weeks.. then the remote node starts losing signal and dropping out. If I place it beside the router node, it still has a weak signal. This is fresh out of the box flashed to 22068.

This now happened again at week 4 of owning it. annoying. I flashed the remote to 21099 and I guess I will see how that works.

After my upteenth time trying to unsuccessfully upgrade to stable firmware I have thrown in the towel. Will be selling my 3 xt8 and have gone instead with the new eero pro 6e mesh. It’s so refreshing to just have something that works - no more dead zones or dropped calls and spotty coverage. I wish you all good luck but I have a feeling that this platform just carries frustration. Life is too short.

After my upteenth time trying to unsuccessfully upgrade to stable firmware I have thrown in the towel. Will be selling my 3 xt8 and have gone instead with the new eero pro 6e mesh. It’s so refreshing to just have something that works - no more dead zones or dropped calls and spotty coverage. I wish you all good luck but I have a feeling that this platform just carries frustration. Life is too short.

I didn't want to have to think about wifi anymore either and have replaced my XT8s with two Synology RT6600ax which seem stable so far after a week.

[edit, have to say though, one thing i'll definitely miss is this fantastic community which is very active and adds a ton of value to asus routers]

Last edited:
I'm very glad I found this forum, if nothing else it's confirmation I am not going insane. My XT8 system (router + 2 nodes) was rock solid for over a year and has become utter garbage. I am going to try a couple of the steps here re: downgrades & factory resets, but this thing is getting replaced within days if those don't work. Thanks for all of the information shared here.

I didn't want to have to think about wifi anymore either and have replaced my XT8s with two Synology RT6600ax which seem stable so far after a week.
Issue with the XT8 is only the latest firmware. Other than that XT8 is working perfectly for me (I have 4 pieces). By quickly looking at Synology forums issues with their products and firmware will make all issues here trivial.
Also as other AI chat bot post indicated, I do not have any dead zones with my WiFi and I have 4 nodes on 3 floors at house. Also I can connect with 2.4GHz hundreds of meters around house. WiFi coverage is brutal.

If you think you will get much more better product support from other companies, you will regret it very much soon, unless it was some sort of pro product.

The morning downgrade to 21099, plus factory reset on all nodes, seems to be very stable so far today. It's only a few hours, but those same few hours would have definitely seen a few disconnects over the past few weeks.

To be safe, I had an Eero 6e system delivered same day, but have not yet opened the box given the results so far. I only have it sitting next to the XT8 router to give it the proper motivation.

21099 worked great for me. But i flashed to 22068 a few weeks ago. I finally hard reset all 4 of my xt8's today, and so far so good. No random disconnects from my iot devices like what happened after the upgrade.

It seems stupid to have to factory reset after a firmware upgrade. But it seems to be necessary.

Issue with the XT8 is only the latest firmware. Other than that XT8 is working perfectly for me (I have 4 pieces). By quickly looking at Synology forums issues with their products and firmware will make all issues here trivial.
Also as other AI chat bot post indicated, I do not have any dead zones with my WiFi and I have 4 nodes on 3 floors at house. Also I can connect with 2.4GHz hundreds of meters around house. WiFi coverage is brutal.

If you think you will get much more better product support from other companies, you will regret it very much soon, unless it was some sort of pro product.

I've had the XT8s since their release and they've had their fair share of issues.. wifi coverage of the synologies is better/faster and the support for a real guest network (network isolation) in AP mode was important to me... anyways, we'll see, no regrets so far. don't get me wrong, I've been using asus routers for decades now and was very satisfied, it just seems the XT8s have issues.. why else would they release a second hardware version? anyways, i'm not trying to convince anybody of anything and it doesn't matter to me which product people use, wifi experience very much depends on the environment and if somebody is happy with their setup they should stick with it.... just use what works :)

I have 2 XT8's. I have been running without any issue until using the 22068 F/W for both the main and the node. I downgraded the node back to 21617, and keep the main mesh at 22068. Everything is rock solid and have no issue. Also I hide the 5GHz-2 SSID so it's only used as the backhaul.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!