What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Its very weird, some never experience issues and some constant issues. Maybe combinations of settings alter things and its really not feasible to replicate someone elses issues for the most part. I have my wireless backhaul on the 5ghz-2 and nothing else. I moved all my devices to the 5ghz-1 and 2.4. This way the 5ghz-2 is completely only for backhaul. I use a wifi analyzer on my PC to check channels. I am using the DFS channel 100 as there is no radar in my vicinity and I also set it for 40 mhz to avoid neighbours. Everyone near me has theirs at 80mhz so there are no full free channels other than the radar ones. Most routers dont use those by default in the auto so I can stay clear from them. The RSSI for the 5ghz-2 backhaul is -52db. My node is on my first floor and the main one is in the basement. They are about 30 feet apart.

I only have about 20 devices mixed between nodes (I bind them to keep them separate as much as I can). I havent had the node disconnect on any firmware so far except this one though moving away from auto corrected it. I was on my node (forced bind) all day (work) for days since I installed it and never experienced any disconnects. Maybe there is some algorithm they have changed if its a certain level of db that they deem too high, it tries to move things around? It would be nice that we have more advanced ways to control those things, maybe we do via ssh but I am not savvy enough to fiddle outside the web menus.

are both hardware versions having issues or one more than the other? I’m running V1 and having issues.

are both hardware versions having issues or one more than the other? I’m running V1 and having issues.
I am also on V1 and no issues (once I resolved my own backhaul problem). For those having backhaul issues, what is your RSSI (in the wireless log) showing? Perhaps there is a corelation to a not so good signal? As mentioned mine is a steady -52 db (dedicated 5GHz-2 to the backhaul, no devices connected to it) which is excellant in terms of wifi.

I am also on V1 and no issues (once I resolved my own backhaul problem). For those having backhaul issues, what is your RSSI (in the wireless log) showing? Perhaps there is a corelation to a not so good signal? As mentioned mine is a steady -52 db (dedicated 5GHz-2 to the backhaul, no devices connected to it) which is excellant in terms of wifi.
That can't be it. Mine is -75-80 without any issues. If anything - closer nodes will result in more confusion for clients trying to roam (even though the backhaul will be better).

3.0.0.4.386_48706 is the only firmware I’ve found that gives me a fast and reliable wireless back channel.

I have problems with 2nd node poor connection, drops to low bandwidth 2.4 connection, for ages now, the latest version that is stable for me is 3004386_46061 which is pretty old now. So I decided to have another go. 5 mins after upgrade the 2nd node dropped its connection down to 2.4 and provided terrible speeds, just like previous versions. Did a factory reset from the the gui and the 2nd node would not be found, this happens most times I reset it, so did a hard reset on it, still would not connect. After a number of hard and soft resets it finally connected and has been stable on 5_2 back haul for 20 hours now :). I have done hard resets on previous versions and it hasn't worked so not claiming success just yet, but normally it only lasts a few in minutes so is much better then previous FWs. Will see how it goes over the next few days.

Never had such a terrible and unstable upgrade from Asus. We usually always have slight issues after an upgrade but our nodes are constantly dropping after this one.

i have GT-AX11000 main router and ZenWiFi AX (XT8) as a aimesh node. After update ZenWIFI to 3.0.0.4.388.22068 is completely unusable, every few hours it disconnects and is non-functional. After returning FW: 3.0.0.4.388_21617 everything is fine. For me is 3.0.0.4.388.22068 complete garbage.

Yes, I have had also those issues as others where mesh nodes disconnected after some minutes (around 10 - 15) and some of them even could not reconnect (yellow light on node). After downgrading to 21617 it is ok again. Asus should do some automated testing or something before firmware release, because we have connected thermostats and other IOT so such an issue can cause bad things.

Found this forum because I just updated to the latest firmware.

1) I am now having issues with my two mesh nodes staying connected to the main router. Previously it was rock solid.
2) I am now having issues with the main router maintaining internet connection with my motorola SB8611 modem. The internet connection from my ISP (spectrum) to my modem has been rock solid. Something is causing issues with the modem talking to the router. I have to reset the router to re-establish internet connection. I recently swapped modems from an Arris SB6183. Any known issues with the motorola modems and these routers?

Thanks!

It's so odd how people have different behaviour. The last time I had a stable system was a 386 firmware from May. But this one for me seems stable now and good speeds.

I did factory reset and i also disabled 160mhz on the 5g-2 band. (Prior to this I had one node that kept dropping to 2.4g)

I have 4 XT8's with each of the 3 nodes now hovering around the 60 dBm mark for signal quality.

I believe I am running v1 devices.

It is more difficult to notice issue with this firmware, I have also 4 XT8 and I have not noticed nodes are reconnecting until family members started to complain. For me and many other uses this firmware causes that mesh nodes are periodically disconnecting and reconnecting (each 10 - 15 minutes) which you might overlook, but if you have many IOT devices and users at home it causes problems.

Had nothing but trouble with 3.0.0.4.388.21617 and 3.0.0.4.388.22068.
Finally did this:
  • kept main router at 22068
  • downgraded other node to 21099
Last 24 hours have been seemingly stable.
Would speculate they introduced regression with 21617 _on repeaters_

For me the last 2-3 firmware releases were horrible. I can't use my mesh system at all. The node is syncing every 5-10 minutes with the base and everything comes to a screeching halt. Signal strength is great or good so it has nothing to do with the distance of the two. I am back to 386_49873 for now.

New here, but also had real problems with 22068, downgraded both router and node to 21099 and it looks like it's all stable again. Have wired ethernet backhaul between router and node.

New here, but also had real problems with 22068, downgraded both router and node to 21099 and it looks like it's all stable again. Have wired ethernet backhaul between router and node.
Posting for info, as SNB was a real help with identifying 22068 as a potential issue. I had tried a factory reset with both router and node first.

Had nothing but trouble with 3.0.0.4.388.21617 and 3.0.0.4.388.22068.
Finally did this:
  • kept main router at 22068
  • downgraded other node to 21099
Last 24 hours have been seemingly stable.
Would speculate they introduced regression with 21617 _on repeaters_
thank you very much s_vald,

I'm also using mesh with 2 nodes. The Backhaul Connection is wireless and with the latest updates it was very unstable, the second node was non stop blue led blinking and in the syslog were many messages :
  • BHC: WiFi connection status change
  • BHC: Disconnected from CAP
  • MISC: wifi upstream is connected, and disconnected from CAP.
I've tried everything, even liming the the bandwidth of 5Ghz-2 to 20Mhz and probing every channel from 100 to 140, but with no luck.

So after i've read your post i've did the same:
  • kept main node at 3.0.0.4.388_22068
  • downgraded second node to 3.0.0.4.388_21099
I didn't reset anything and I've set BHC back to optimal - the bandwidth of 5Ghz-2 is 160Mhz with auto channel.

Now the BHC is stable and there are no more strange massages in the syslog.
I've wrote an update

Last edited:
I'm on version 1 of 22068. My backhaul is hardwired. Since the update, I've been having issue with the node turning red and going offline. Very irritating. I'm going to see if things don't stabilize over the next day or two, but then may downgrfade node to 21099 as others have suggested. Of course, that means turning off auto update, since it will try to restore the newest. Super irritating.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!