What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Login Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Embattle

Regular Contributor
A slight oddity in that the user/password I use via the ASUS Router app to gain access to my system is wrong whenever I enter it on my directly connected PC via the Web Gui, I even simplified the password to try and help so any ideas or help would be appreciated?

I have a similar issue with my 2 unit XT8 mesh system running the latest (45898) firmware. My desktop PC is wired to the single node I have, and I can access the Web GUI from it with no problem using the same username/password credentials I use for the Asus app. However, when I try to sign into the Web GUI from my wireless laptop, I get an "invalid username or password" error message. I get the same error message when I try to access the Web GUI from the laptop via ethernet (wired) to either the router itself or the node. Huh?

I managed to solve it this morning, I reset the system back to factory defaults and instead of using the app to setup I connected my desktop directly to the system and set it up via the Web GUI. I then added it to the app, only annoying thing is the Web GUI doesn't allow Chrome to remember the password.

I managed to solve it this morning, I reset the system back to factory defaults and instead of using the app to setup I connected my desktop directly to the system and set it up via the Web GUI. I then added it to the app, only annoying thing is the Web GUI doesn't allow Chrome to remember the password.
For me, Chrome remembers both the login and password of the administrator of the XT8 router when entering the web interface.

I use the Brave browser, which is Chrome-based on my desktop and laptop. Brave, like Chrome, saves both my username and password for the Asus web GUI, but only works, as I said with the desktop. I'll try to reset both units to factory defaults and see if it clears the issue up.

Bitwarden saves both login credentials, the routers and the nodes, here. Been using a password vault for a several years now, find that Bitwarden works better for me than Lastpass, but that's personal preference. Never really liked the idea of using my browser to save passwords, I change browsers too much. Even now, it's MS Edge on my mac, and Safari on my Apple mobile devices. Keeping all my passwords in one vault has been easiest. Makes it easier to try new browsers.

And no problems using the Asus router app for setup, then the web admin GUI for fine tuning. There are two different logins, though. There's your login to Asus, and your login to your router. If you get those mixed up, it can give surprisingly odd results. Like not being able to log into your router...got that straightened out early on, though.