What's new

ASUS ZenWifi AX XT8 Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vjarena3

Occasional Visitor
I just installed the Asus XT8 this evening replacing my 4 year old Orbi AC 3000 which constantly was having the DNS issue. I have to say I’m not impressed - at all. I ran a battery of speed tests prior to installation with the Orbi at various points and once the Asus was online ran the exact same tests. The speeds are roughly 100 MB slower with the Asus at almost all points. Tech details I have ATT gig fiber running with the BGW 210 in router mode and the Asus in AP mode. Was planning on bypassing the 210 and allowing the Asus to act as the router but wanted an apples to apples test. However now I’m tempted to return the Asus and get the Orbi AX 6000. As an aside I’m a network engineer with many certs to my name so I’m not a newbie.(Nor am I trying to brag just for reference) Any tips or tricks on what I’m missing or can do would be appreciated!

I just installed Asus XT8 this evening replacing my 4 year old Orbi AC 3000 which constantly was having the DNS issue. I have to say I’m not impressed - at all. I ran a battery of speed tests prior to installation with the Orbi at various points and once the Asus was online ran the exact same tests. The speeds are roughly 100 MB slower with the Asus at almost all points. Tech details I have ATT gig fiber running with the BGW 210 in router mode and the Asus in AP mode. Was planning on bypassing the 210 and allowing the Asus to act as the router but wanted an apples to apples test. However now I’m tempted to return the Asus and get the Orbi AX 6000. As an aside I’m a network engineer with many certs to my name so I’m not a newbie.(Nor am I trying to brag just for reference) Any tips or tricks on what I’m missing or can do would be appreciated!
Bro legit I am in the exact same position and the more I look into it the more people I see who have the same problems as us two, This ASUS router is rubbish, but if you also look up NETGEAR AX6000 wifi speed issues it takes you to their forums and same things going on, so now I don't know what to do, my old router and $170 WiFi extender gave me faster speeds which I cant get my head around, this cost me $800 here in Australia from BingLee. I'm stuck I don't know what to do, I have 1GBPS/50MBPS fibre internet also, I get 900+MBPS wired and directly next to router I get 750+MBPS speeds but as soon as you walk even 5 meters away even with ASUS mesh system set up it drops to 250MBPS at most!

IF you are still in your return period, give the ET8 a try. I just replaced my 4+ year old Orbi RBK50 for the same DNS dropout reason. Only been a day but the ET8 system is much faster then my previous Orbi. I have 400/20 internet and the Orbi was lucky to get 200 on a speed test. With the ET8 I am seeing noticeably faster response on my clients and speed tests are hitting 350-450 depending on the location in the house.

Since the ET8 has a 6Ghz backhaul that may be what is helping with the speed.

So I've played around with it some this morning and getting better speed results but still have some nagging issues so here's the latest:

• Put my ATT router into Passthrough and set Asus up as the main router
  • The speed is better in further distances on the Asus and the Admin UI is night and day better as well. (Especially like the nightly reboot schedule)
  • I can use a USB drive for file sharing in the house whereas I couldn't with the Orbi
  • Messed with QoS and found that I got better speeds with it turned off. Still, by better speeds it sometimes is better but sometimes it's not which leads me my next discovery
  • I find that my devices occasionally jump on the 2.4 sans 5GHz channel without warning. Only way I found this out is my Apple TV was dragging while streaming last night and noticed it was riding the 2.4
  • I also find my devices don't roam as well as they did on the Orbi. Will tinker with those settings today
  • As to why I don't have a proper firewall, PoE switch and APs is my house doesn't have ethernet runs to every room and to run them would be a major pain. However, I've been looking at powerline ethernet adapters(which actually offers PoE) to alleviate some of this so not a bad suggestion as I do have some gear laying around that I could build it out.
  • Since I'm in the return window I did buy the Orbi AX6000 last night and will let the Asus run over the next few days until it arrives. Once it does I will put it through the same testing as the Asus and decide which I plan on keeping - if I don't say screw it and build out my own with enterprise gear.

Well, yes, if you're willing to pay $200 more for the Netgear Orbi, go for it *smile*. You can usually pay more and get better performance, that's life. One warning about the Orbi, though...when I had an Orbi, the firmware upgrades were automatic, and some worked better than others. While you can easily revert the Asus to previous firmware releases, Netgear wasn't having it with the Orbi...too many bad firmware releases from Netgear that I was stuck with until the next release got me off the Orbi. The hardware was fine, the firmware not so much.

Well, yes, if you're willing to pay $200 more for the Netgear Orbi, go for it *smile*. You can usually pay more and get better performance, that's life. One warning about the Orbi, though...when I had an Orbi, the firmware upgrades were automatic, and some worked better than others. While you can easily revert the Asus to previous firmware releases, Netgear wasn't having it with the Orbi...too many bad firmware releases from Netgear that I was stuck with until the next release got me off the Orbi. The hardware was fine, the firmware not so much.
I got a certified refurb for not much more than the Asus. Firmware updates - ugh. I just tried the latest firmware release on my Orbi which I had to manually install before saying bye - for now - because it didn't resolve any issues so I completely agree. Also, I'm getting fed my own medicine at the moment because I tell end users speed tests aren't always accurate because through the Asus UI I'm seeing much better speeds than through online/app speed tests. And I am really enjoying the Asus UI much more than I ever did with Orbi so from last night until now it's growing on me.

I got a certified refurb for not much more than the Asus. Firmware updates - ugh. I just tried the latest firmware release on my Orbi which I had to manually install before saying bye - for now - because it didn't resolve any issues so I completely agree. Also, I'm getting fed my own medicine at the moment because I tell end users speed tests aren't always accurate because through the Asus UI I'm seeing much better speeds than through online/app speed tests. And I am really enjoying the Asus UI much more than I ever did with Orbi so from last night until now it's growing on me.

Yeah, if you bought a certified refurb of the Asus, it would cost less than a certified refurb of the Orbi. Never mind, I'm fine with mfr. refurbs, but you got to compare apples with apples *smile*. Hope that things work out for you. I've had the Asus since January of this year, and am very happy with it. Much happier than I was with either Orbi or eero pro 6's.

So I've played around with it some this morning and getting better speed results but still have some nagging issues so here's the latest:

• Put my ATT router into Passthrough and set Asus up as the main router
  • The speed is better in further distances on the Asus and the Admin UI is night and day better as well. (Especially like the nightly reboot schedule)
  • I can use a USB drive for file sharing in the house whereas I couldn't with the Orbi
  • Messed with QoS and found that I got better speeds with it turned off. Still, by better speeds it sometimes is better but sometimes it's not which leads me my next discovery
  • I find that my devices occasionally jump on the 2.4 sans 5GHz channel without warning. Only way I found this out is my Apple TV was dragging while streaming last night and noticed it was riding the 2.4
  • I also find my devices don't roam as well as they did on the Orbi. Will tinker with those settings today
  • As to why I don't have a proper firewall, PoE switch and APs is my house doesn't have ethernet runs to every room and to run them would be a major pain. However, I've been looking at powerline ethernet adapters(which actually offers PoE) to alleviate some of this so not a bad suggestion as I do have some gear laying around that I could build it out.
  • Since I'm in the return window I did buy the Orbi AX6000 last night and will let the Asus run over the next few days until it arrives. Once it does I will put it through the same testing as the Asus and decide which I plan on keeping - if I don't say screw it and build out my own with enterprise gear.

Alot of people are finding (myself included) that the 42095 firmware is the most stable ( run mine in AP mode so can't really comment on their router functions). Obviously those people using an XT8 as a main gateway should be aware there are security updates in later firmware versions.The thing with asus routers is that sometimes you have to tinker with the settings but at least it's possible which I personally very much appreciate. I use different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz and don't use smart connect, that way for most devices I know should be using 5GHz there are no issues, specially when 'binding' them to a preferred node. Otherwise I just let devices make up their own mind which band to use.

My issue with the XT8 (I've had it about 2 weeks now) is devices dropping in and out (both 2.4/5) a couple times a day.

Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_43181-g6099e58
Log showing drops:

Jul 27 12:42:52 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth AE:84:57:82:96:75, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 27 12:42:52 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(537): eth5: ReAssoc AE:84:57:82:96:75, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 27 12:42:52 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth6: Disassoc AE:84:57:82:96:75, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Jul 27 12:42:52 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth6: Disassoc AE:84:57:82:96:75, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

I've tried shutting off smart connect; no change. Maybe firmware issue?

-Eric

My issue with the XT8 (I've had it about 2 weeks now) is devices dropping in and out (both 2.4/5) a couple times a day.

Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_43181-g6099e58
Log showing drops:

Jul 27 12:42:52 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth AE:84:57:82:96:75, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 27 12:42:52 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(537): eth5: ReAssoc AE:84:57:82:96:75, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

I've tried shutting off smart connect; no change. Maybe firmware issue?

-Eric
This has been one of my biggest issues so far. After running it a few days here's an update on my thoughts:
Cons
  • Devices jumping to 2.4 is my biggest gripe. Tried several settings and still notice some of my devices jump to 2.4. The biggest offender is my Apple TV which is what I use primarily to stream so it's a noticeable pain
  • Still noticing devices hanging on to the furthest satellite which causes speed issues
  • QoS is a great feature they offer but I notice it degrades the speed so it's fairly useless
Pros
  • Love the UI either through the web or the app. The amount of control and granularity reminds me of running an enterprise system
  • Coverage is good on these devices - definitely noticed a good speed at further distances
  • Although I haven't used it (yet) I like being able to hook up USB storage to it and share it out. Also, I like that I can use ethernet backhaul freeing up the third channel
Overall, if you aren't all about speed but want good coverage and granular control this is a good system. However, for me with a gig fiber connection I've noticed a step down in performance from my old Orbi AC3000 series to this. Good news so far is the DNS issue that plagued my Orbi is gone. My powerline ethernet adapter comes in tomorrow and I will be running eth backhaul and curious to see how much better the third channel is than what I'm currently using. So I will let the Asus run probably through the weekend and then put the Orbi AX 6000 which is coming in today online and see if it makes a difference. I have a feeling I will get better performance through the Orbi (as has been pointed out you get what you pay for) but think I will miss the controls. If it isn't that much of a jump I may run a powerline eth adapter in my living room and hook up a 4 or 8 port 1 GB switch to it so I can connect AV equipment and keep the Asus.

This has been one of my biggest issues so far. After running it a few days here's an update on my thoughts:
Cons
  • Devices jumping to 2.4 is my biggest gripe. Tried several settings and still notice some of my devices jump to 2.4. The biggest offender is my Apple TV which is what I use primarily to stream so it's a noticeable pain
  • Still noticing devices hanging on to the furthest satellite which causes speed issues
  • QoS is a great feature they offer but I notice it degrades the speed so it's fairly useless
Pros
  • Love the UI either through the web or the app. The amount of control and granularity reminds me of running an enterprise system
  • Coverage is good on these devices - definitely noticed a good speed at further distances
  • Although I haven't used it (yet) I like being able to hook up USB storage to it and share it out. Also, I like that I can use ethernet backhaul freeing up the third channel
Overall, if you aren't all about speed but want good coverage and granular control this is a good system. However, for me with a gig fiber connection I've noticed a step down in performance from my old Orbi AC3000 series to this. Good news so far is the DNS issue that plagued my Orbi is gone. My powerline ethernet adapter comes in tomorrow and I will be running eth backhaul and curious to see how much better the third channel is than what I'm currently using. So I will let the Asus run probably through the weekend and then put the Orbi AX 6000 which is coming in today online and see if it makes a difference. I have a feeling I will get better performance through the Orbi (as has been pointed out you get what you pay for) but think I will miss the controls. If it isn't that much of a jump I may run a powerline eth adapter in my living room and hook up a 4 or 8 port 1 GB switch to it so I can connect AV equipment and keep the Asus.
I have been using ETH backhaul since I had my Orbi RBR50 (it ran for 2.5 yrs until the router just bricked itself and I wasn't able to get it to respond to any input). The node is on the second floor and router is in the basement connected to a Netgear CM600. I've had the XT8 now for about 2 weeks and my only complaint is the dropped connections (mostly wireless, but I've seen it happen less frequently to my wired laptop [used for work from home]. I just reflashed the router and node to 42095 (last night) so I don't know if there were drop offs yet (although my wife was playing UNO this morning and said that she wasn't disconnected).

I'm pulling hair out with my 2 XT8s. worked perfectly at first and now I'm constantly getting the 2nd node having weak link and dropping back to 2.4 link so devices connect to it are slow. I've tried power line adapters but didn't get great results

the main issue is mobile devices seem to stay on node they first connected to so when you walk away the speed drops and then hangs. you have to toggle wifi on/off to get it working

just downloaded to the 42095 firmware and need to factory reset and then manually configure the wireless channels again

i'd already decided i was going to return these before i reverted the firmware and pay the extra for the netgear rbk852 out of desperation as I can't be doing with the amount of effort the Xt8s need

I'm pulling hair out with my 2 XT8s. worked perfectly at first and now I'm constantly getting the 2nd node having weak link and dropping back to 2.4 link so devices connect to it are slow. I've tried power line adapters but didn't get great results

the main issue is mobile devices seem to stay on node they first connected to so when you walk away the speed drops and then hangs. you have to toggle wifi on/off to get it working

just downloaded to the 42095 firmware and need to factory reset and then manually configure the wireless channels again

i'd already decided i was going to return these before i reverted the firmware and pay the extra for the netgear rbk852 out of desperation as I can't be doing with the amount of effort the Xt8s need
Same exact issue with mobile devices for me so I may go ahead and install the Orbi today when it comes in so I can see if there's a difference. Aside from the DNS issue (which was major) on the Orbi it did roam a lot better. Once I have it connected I will let you know the differences.

so i've now done the factory reset after downgrading the firmware and manually configured the channels. the mobiles now seem to roam correctly so the roaming asst change to -50 now works which is one thing. I've noticed an slight drop in download speed sat right next to both main and node. It was always near 500Mb now it's 420-440Mb which I'm not too worried about

I'll wait to see if the node stays on the 5Ghz link like it did before or whether it drops back to 2.4. If it does then these will go back

I'm interested to hear back RE: Orbi that vjarena3 is parallel testing with the XT8. I thought the Orbi RBK50 was pretty stable but the price difference is what brought me to get the XT8 instead of the new Orbi. I'm still in trial mode as well.