What's new

Asus ZenWifi CT8 In AP Mode W/ AC86U Router Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CorruptedMind

Occasional Visitor
Question... I currently have 1G Fiber with Centurylink, and use the AC86U in Router Mode logging in through PPPOE with a VLAN Tag of 201. I also disabled both wireless radios.

I recently got the ZenWifi CT8 pair and have decided to run them in AP Mode. The AC86U is connected via Ethernet to the main CT8 (AP) and then the second CT8 (Node) is connected via ethernet backhaul to the main CT8 (AP). Ai Mesh appears to be only working with both the Zenwifi CT8's. Couple concerns:

1. Is this a proper setup? Is it true that doing a PPPOE login with a VLAN tag can be more CPU intensive? That's the reason I use the dedicated AC86U to perform the router functions.

2. To get the Ai Mesh to properly work all together, can you make the AC86U in router mode and then add the ZenWifi CT8's as nodes instead of AP Mode? I would like to not use the wireless radios of the AC86U.

3. I've been using Merlins firmware for a long time and love it. I can't remember if he doesn't support Ai Mesh or the new architecture of the Zenwifi?

2. To get the Ai Mesh to properly work all together, can you make the AC86U in router mode and then add the ZenWifi CT8's as nodes instead of AP Mode? I would like to not use the wireless radios of the AC86U.

Maybe... each Zen unit is a router so each may also be a node. Try adding them as nodes to the 86U router. However, if you turn OFF the 86U WiFi switch, it will probably upset the AiMesh. But you could try it. I've never tried this as my node is not wired.

OE

@OzarkEdge and @CorruptedMind Were you able to make the router as the Main and connect both CT8 as Nodes? I don't want to connect them via Ethernet cable but one to have the modem-router on one floor and each node on a separate floor. Is that possible?

Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!