What's new

Release Asus ZenWiFi CT8 - New Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45934

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Frisswinter123

New Around Here
Finally after many donkey’s years, Asus have released a new firmware for ZenWiFi CT8 dated on 17/11/2021.

Change log:
1. AiMesh 2.0
- System optimization: one click in AiMesh to optimize the topology
- System Ethernet backhaul mode, all nodes will only connect by ethernet, all bands will be released for wireless clients.
- System factory default and reboot.
- Client device reconnect, make the device to offline and online again.
- Client device binding to specific AP.
- Guest WiFi on all Mesh nodes (all node need to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386 firmware)
- Access nodes USB application

Source: https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking-...Fi-WiFi-Systems/ZenWiFi-AC-CT8/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Finally after many donkey’s years, Asus have released a new firmware for ZenWiFi CT8 dated on 17/11/2021.

Change log:
1. AiMesh 2.0
- System optimization: one click in AiMesh to optimize the topology
- System Ethernet backhaul mode, all nodes will only connect by ethernet, all bands will be released for wireless clients.
- System factory default and reboot.
- Client device reconnect, make the device to offline and online again.
- Client device binding to specific AP.
- Guest WiFi on all Mesh nodes (all node need to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386 firmware)
- Access nodes USB application

Source: https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking-...Fi-WiFi-Systems/ZenWiFi-AC-CT8/HelpDesk_BIOS/
It broke my ct8 as nodes. Hahaha. Had to revert back to previous firmware

It broke my ct8 as nodes. Hahaha. Had to revert back to previous firmware
Already using the latest firmware, no such issue at all. A stable and good update after so long!

Finally got Tri-band Wireless option with 1 single wireless SSID (2.4, 5-1 and 5-2GHz) when enable Ethernet backhaul option. It have the option to enable DNS over TLS.

After login to the router via web portal, what I do is not using the check for update button, I download the firmware from Asus website then update my Node 2 by manual uploading the firmware, once finish then I off and on the power and let it re-establish the connection with my main node.

After node 2 is up, i manually update my main mode to latest firmware, then once it updated and detect my node 2, I off and on the power to main node let it auto re-connect back to my node 2.

lastly, I power off and on ONT (fibre box) that connected to my main node, and everything is good and do a Speedtest. That all.

Last edited:
I got a pair of CT8 off eBay recently to replace my eero pro units. I installed latest firmware, reset the units twice to be sure I was working from a clean slate. I got them setup and working with wifi backhaul. The web gui seemed a little “glitchy” but thought it was just the nature of the CT8 platform.

Over the past week, I never got the wifi performance I was expecting. Even though the backhaul showed a great connection in the wireless log, I could never get more than about 50m when running speedtest from my two computers plugged into the node unit.

I tried several adjustments and eventually did another reset, left everything default except ssid/password pn the 2.4 and 5-1 bands. The system still seemed flaky and sluggish when navigating the web gui.

Today, I did another reset, installed 3.0.0.4.386.23003, set my ssid/passwords and just let ut run. Wow! Now my setup performs as expected. I can now get 98m of my 100/10 speed on both computers and the web interface is quick and smooth. For now, I am staying with this firmware.

I will be converting them to AP mode later this week and place them behind an Untangle unit I am building so not too worried about security updates.

Hi All, I am still on 23003 due to the many comments here, it looks like a new build of 46122 is out, did anyone try that over 45934?

Chris

I am running 46122 on one of my ct8 units. My issue is my second ct8 unit is still on the 23003 firmware and it will not join as a mesh node. It does connect on the 5-2 wifi band but cannot be added as a mesh node. So far, I am unable to access it in order to update it to the latest firmware. For now, I am using one of my ac86u as an ethernet mesh node which works great. I just wish I could utilize my 2nd ct8.

I finally solved this. I backed the firmware on my main ct8 unit down to 23003. Then the node joined the mesh. I then updated to 46122 on the node, then updated back to 46122 on the main unit. I then removed the ac86u from the mesh. Now it looks like everything is working as expected and I can now maintain an ethernet backhaul to the node. In the past it would always fall back to the 5-2 wifi connection. It looks like this latest CT8 firmware is pretty good.

Thanks for the update, let me know how you make out. I am always nervous about ASUS firmware updates, they are hit or miss.

(Also didn't know you can add non CT8s to the mesh, that is cool!)

Chris

UPDATE: I was finally able to select the option of Dedicated Ethernet Backhaul and it actually works now!

At this time I am running in that mode with Tri Band Smart Connect and it all actually works as it should.

Kudos to Asus! I think they finally made the CT8 a real operational mesh system. Also, the wifi range on these units are excellent, probably the best I have used so far. But then, they are Qualcomm based and I think work better than the Broadcom based units from the same time period.

Updated to 46122 and did a Reset (hold WPS button while turning on the power) and uploaded my config. So far so good, we'll see what happens.

One node (I have 4 units total, 2 sets) did not want to join the mesh, but I hardwired it and added it that way and it's been fine wirelessly since then.

Chris

You negated the reset by Importing your backup config file.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!