What's new

Asus zenwifi xt8 dual wan question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thetnee

Occasional Visitor
Just purchased an Asus Zenwifi AX XT8 with 3 additional units for satellites.

I saw it has a dual wan feature. If I set it to load balance my 1gbps + 500mbps fiber connections, I understand you can't get 1.5gbps on one download. But can you:

1) get 1.5gbps over 2 connections concurrently doing speedtest?

2) set some devices to use only one of the WAN connection? I use Kodi to stream some 4k streams and the authentication with Premiumize is sensitive to IP.

Just purchased an Asus Zenwifi AX XT8 with 3 additional units for satellites.

I saw it has a dual wan feature. If I set it to load balance my 1gbps + 500mbps fiber connections, I understand you can't get 1.5gbps on one download. But can you:

1) get 1.5gbps over 2 connections concurrently doing speedtest?

2) set some devices to use only one of the WAN connection? I use Kodi to stream some 4k streams and the authentication with Premiumize is sensitive to IP.
1. I don't think so, unless your speedtest uses multiple flows to test speed. maybe?
2. not without some fancy routing, that I'm pretty sure wouldn't be available on the XT8 (without merlin, which we don't have on our XT8's)

Maybe I can rephrase. I'm not looking for more than 1gbps on one speedtest. But on two separate devices running speedtest I hope to be able to achieve close to 1.5gbps.

Cause my cisco is capped at 933mbps
1. I don't think so, unless your speedtest uses multiple flows to test speed. maybe?
2. not without some fancy routing, that I'm pretty sure wouldn't be available on the XT8 (without merlin, which we don't have on our XT8's)

Maybe I can rephrase. I'm not looking for more than 1gbps on one speedtest. But on two separate devices running speedtest I hope to be able to achieve close to 1.5gbps.

Cause my cisco is capped at 933mbps
Maybe. it would depend on the rest of your network being able to support those speeds.
I'm unsure if the XT8 supports lagg, so that's a thing to look into.

But you'd need to make sure that you have 1.5 Gbps capability, or more, on all network devices until you reach the client devices.

Just an update. After RMAing one of the XT8. finally got 4 XT8 Units running smoothly as AIMESH Wireless AP mode on Wired backhaul.

My only complaint is when I disconnect and reconnect the mesh nodes, I notice the main Mesh node struggling a bit with cpu usage sometimes spiking to almost 100%.

The Zenwifi xt8 does seem to have a pretty weak processor

I've now noticed the Zenwifi XT12 uses a brand new Qualcomm 2ghz quad core processor vs the 1.5ghz Broadcom one on the xt8.

Will I see a big improvement in my use case? Considering my wired backhaul is only 1gbps.