What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46061 (2022/01/14)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Moved my 2 wireless nodes both to 46061 and prioritised wireless backhaul to 5ghz (something that wasn’t selectable with 42095). All seems to be working ok… touch wood.

I think all my units are 2022 models
You need to check the physical product labels and see if they are v1 or v2. IIRC, ASUS says that all 2022 production has been v2, but of course there were still v1 units in the sales pipeline for awhile.
I’m using 42095 on 3 units (main, Ethernet backhaul & wireless backhaul) and 46061 wireless backhaul on a recently bought unit.
the 42095 wireless unit is causing WiFi freezes unless I switch it off.
ASUS states that 42095 will only work on v1, and given that its release date was mid-2021 that's hardly surprising.

If you do need to update, I'd try the latest firmware release and then work backwards until you find something that is stable for you. The one constant in the time I've been observing this mess is that the same firmware release that is rock-solid for one person is unusable for someone else; apparently they all have edge-case bugs that might or might not bite you in your particular usage.

There's a good deal of lore on these boards about updating. Some people say that you'd better do a factory reset and reconfigure-from-scratch after any firmware change. Others say you can probably get away with a "dirty" update where you trust the new firmware to cope with any settings updates it needs. Almost nobody trusts the obvious alternative of trying to reload a stored config file. (For myself, I'd go straight for reset-and-reconfigure when installing an older firmware version, because there's no reason to assume that it'd successfully read config data set up by a newer version.) Whichever way you try first, better have solid notes about what's non-default in your setup, in case you do end up re-entering the configuration by hand.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!