What's new

asus zenwifi xt8 + latest firmware + nest 3rd gen learning thermostat offline off and on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

markm75

Occasional Visitor
I have this combo of hardware and it seems ever since i did a recent firmware update, that now the nest goes to offline mode randomly.
*I guess if i thought i could go back a firmware level (somehow) i'd try to go back to the last one?

Has anyone else ran into this and knows of a fix?

Thanks in advance

All the firmware's since 3.0.0.4.386.42095 seem to have issues with IoT devices and backhaul connectivity. Id recommend downgrading to 3.0.0.4.386.42095 and see how you find it.

All the firmware's since 3.0.0.4.386.42095 seem to have issues with IoT devices and backhaul connectivity. Id recommend downgrading to 3.0.0.4.386.42095 and see how you find it.
Ok thanks, Is it as simple as just specifying the replacement firmware and updating or is there more involved to go backwards?

Does it hold all the settings or do you have to start from scratch?

I see alot of entries related to the nest like:
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth5: Disassoc xyz, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

Ok thanks, Is it as simple as just specifying the replacement firmware and updating or is there more involved to go backwards?

Does it hold all the settings or do you have to start from scratch?

I see alot of entries related to the nest like:
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth5: Disassoc xyz, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

I had similar issues to you and downgraded and its been light night and day, the older firmware is significantly more stable. I couldnt find a documented process, so i did the following and it was all fine.

For precaution backed up my settings first but i didnt need to restore, YMMV.

Perform a manual update of each remote node, wait for it to install, reboot, and reconnect to the main router.

Once all the remote nodes had been downgraded and were online i then did a manual update on the main router.

For me everything came back up without any issues at all. If you do have issues after downgrading i would reset everything and restore from the backup.

Well i went back as far as firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41793 i also rebooted each mesh unit. No luck, the nest still goes to offline mode.

I havent tried doing a factory reset on the asus yet however.

Update, so with my xt8 asus, a few things i did..
It was suggested to revert to a firmware from feb 2021 or previous (3.0.0.4.386.42095 or before). The 2021 feb one (42095) didnt seem to make a difference so i went with 3.0.0.4.386_41793
I dont think this was the fix.
I then went into 5ghz-1 and set the control width i think from 80 to 20/40/80. I also set the channel to 40 fixed.
So far, normally i'd have many offline periods, but so far none in several hours. One of the above fixed things (so far)

EDIT: most likely it was the control width change (more universally compatible with those type of devices)

Last edited:
I was facing the same issue on 43181. I downgraded only to 3.0.0.4.386.43170 (one previous), and it seems to have resolved the offline issue.

Has anyone contacted Asus about this? Some of the recent firmware fixes mention fixing security issues in the release notes, so it would be nice to have those fixes without whatever is causing the Nest to frequently disconnect.

For anyone else wrestling with this, I finally fixed it by doing a hard reset of all nodes.

Tried every combo of wireless settings imaginable but Asus seems to have a bug that corrupts settings. Besides the Nests going offline regularly there were other strange symptoms like the 5Ghz channels going really slow or other devices disconnecting. Since the reset things have been rock solid. I put it off for a while since it was sort of working so it seemed more like a setting issue, should have done it sooner.

I have been having the disconnect issue with Nest thermostats and Protect smoke alarms. I may try the reset route. So you need to reset the nodes as well as main router?

Side note: I have a difficult time connecting the Nest Protects to the system. Google support worked with on the phone for quite a while and not much worked until she mentioned as an aside that one suggestion was turn off the firewall until the "assisting process" completed. Turned off AiProtection and they connection. I still kind of wonder if AiProtection plays an issue with Nest protects communicating with the Google and the Nest app.

I have been having the disconnect issue with Nest thermostats and Protect smoke alarms. I may try the reset route. So you need to reset the nodes as well as main router?

Side note: I have a difficult time connecting the Nest Protects to the system. Google support worked with on the phone for quite a while and not much worked until she mentioned as an aside that one suggestion was turn off the firewall until the "assisting process" completed. Turned off AiProtection and they connection. I still kind of wonder if AiProtection plays an issue with Nest protects communicating with the Google and the Nest app.

Yes, need to reset everything using the WPS button, otherwise I read that they will sync bad settings back.

I turned off secondary nodes, reset the main node first, then reset each secondary node.
[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2 | Official Support | ASUS Global

I had an occasional issue with a Protect going offline before the reset, been fine since then. I never did try to pair them though, they were already paired to the same SSID.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I changed the SSID and password when I upgraded. I have separate 2.4 and 5 ghz SSIDs and wanted to make it more human friendly by using just one. Still wondering if that was the right move.

I had a similar issue with the latest firmware for the xt8. The nest would go offine about 1x a day. I eventually fixed it, and some other IOT devices, by putting them on the guest network. I’ve not had a drop in weeks. I have no idea what that worked though. it just did.

What worked for me was doing a factory reset. Haven't had any Nest problems since then. I was using pretty much the default settings anyway so I don't know why that worked.

I assume you meant a factory reset of the router, not the nest. I tried resetting the nest but still was gettin dropped once a day. My question is why moving the nest, and govee water sensors, to a guest network fixed the problem. I’m wondering if it has something to so with the built in security of the ASUS. Perhaps it is less strict for guest networks? Anyone have any ideas?

I assume you meant a factory reset of the router, not the nest. I tried resetting the nest but still was gettin dropped once a day. My question is why moving the nest, and govee water sensors, to a guest network fixed the problem. I’m wondering if it has something to so with the built in security of the ASUS. Perhaps it is less strict for guest networks? Anyone have any ideas?
Yes, I reset the router to factory defaults.

Hi
may I please ask the FW-versions you found to be stable?

I used to have a set of XT8s during the summer but could never make the wireless backhaul stable (dropping every day from 5 to 2.4Ghz requiring reboot) on any other FW than 42095 on both router and node.

Is are the new versions working so I can rebuy a set? (really loved the speed but not the temperament of the backhaul).

Thanks a lot in advance.

I had also issue with Nest Thermostat, but only once when I tried to back up and restore settings just for test what happens (that operation broke many things).
However, in the end I had to follow instructions at https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042475/, basically turn off WiFi 6 for 2.4GHz, because I have other older or cheaper devices that do not like WiFi 6 (disconnect after some time and cannot reconnect). I also put all IOT devices in roaming block list and had to bind some devices to specific XT8.

Otherwise, I have 4 pieces and wireless backhaul connection, and it is working ok with the latest firmware, 3 floors house no mentionable problems.

I just started to experience this with my Nest Thermostat 2 days ago. It goes offline and I have to restart the Nest to get it back online. I'm running the latest FW on my ZenWifi XT8. I actually just got this 2 weeks ago and been running into some issues here and there.

My ZenWifi XT8 Node is setup with wired backhaul, not sure if that's what causing the issue. I don't recall the Nest having problems when it was running with wireless backhaul.

Current FW: .0.0.4.386_45934-gb23bdac

@UsefulDrivel just reading this thread, is everything still working for you? I’m having all the same problems with my nest products.

Question too, after the hard reset did you go through and set all the settings from scratch or did you restore settings from a backup? I only ask because we have a lot of custom settings on our route and I’d rather not have to go through them all again.

I did what someone else suggested and did the scheduled reboots nightly when I'm sleeping. I've had no Nest Thermostat problems since doing so. Not sure if it's a proper solution but it seems to work and my mesh system seems to run better than before.