What's new

asus zenwifi xt8 + latest firmware + nest 3rd gen learning thermostat offline off and on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have been having the disconnect issue with Nest thermostats and Protect smoke alarms. I may try the reset route. So you need to reset the nodes as well as main router?

Side note: I have a difficult time connecting the Nest Protects to the system. Google support worked with on the phone for quite a while and not much worked until she mentioned as an aside that one suggestion was turn off the firewall until the "assisting process" completed. Turned off AiProtection and they connection. I still kind of wonder if AiProtection plays an issue with Nest protects communicating with the Google and the Nest app.

I have both Nest Thermostat and Protect, however my Protect has had no connectivity issues, only my Thermostat did.

I have this combo of hardware and it seems ever since i did a recent firmware update, that now the nest goes to offline mode randomly.
*I guess if i thought i could go back a firmware level (somehow) i'd try to go back to the last one?

Has anyone else ran into this and knows of a fix?

Thanks in advance
I have a NEST camera. It started losing connection constantly with the 386.4 I went back to 3_2. Problem solved. .4 also caused a major issue for my old 2.4 ghz wifi printer. Windows could no longer see it on the network, said the printer was offline. Went back to 3_2 and windows 11 could see it again. I have AX-3000 (AX-58U).

That’s good to know. I didn’t know that was an option. You didn’t reset or change any settings?
No I didn't reset or change any other settings. Besides the reboot schedule. I did that 2 days ago and my Nest Thermostat has been fine. Before it would show offline in the app on my phone, however at the thermostat itself said connected to my wifi network under the network section on the thermostat but it was actually offline. My solution then was rebooting the Nest Thermostat and it would come back online.

however at the thermostat itself said connected to my wifi network under the network section on the thermostat but it was actually offline.
Yeah mine is doing the same thing. The only thing that it errors about in the thermostat itself is it says it can’t pull current weather data. Which makes sense if it’s offline.

So I spoke too soon about the scheduled reboots fixing all my Nest Thermostat problems. This morning I woke up to my app saying ERROR! I'm guessing the error or issue with the router and Nest Thermostat happened after my nightly reboot.

Also this didn't give me the typical "Can't get weather" error.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-081236.png
    Screenshot_20220111-081236.png
    96 KB · Views: 75
So I spoke too soon about the scheduled reboots fixing all my Nest Thermostat problems. This morning I woke up to my app saying ERROR! I'm guessing the error or issue with the router and Nest Thermostat happened after my nightly reboot.

Also this didn't give me the typical "Can't get weather" error.
That’s too bad. Though that kind of error is different from what I’ve seen before. Looks more like an issue with the thermostat.

I did what someone else suggested and did the scheduled reboots nightly when I'm sleeping. I've had no Nest Thermostat problems since doing so. Not sure if it's a proper solution but it seems to work and my mesh system seems to run better than before.
Do you reboot all nodes or just main router?

That’s too bad. Though that kind of error is different from what I’ve seen before. Looks more like an issue with the thermostat.
It could be. Off topic, honestly I've had enough of my Nest Thermostat tbh. I'm on seriously thinking about switching to Ecobee.
Do you reboot all nodes or just main

Do you reboot all nodes or just main router?
I'm not sure if the scheduled reboots reboot both the router and node or just the router. I'd assume it's just the router but could be wrong.

That's a good question. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Update: So yesterday my Nest thermostat went offline 4 times throughout the day/evening. Either I'm having bad luck with the disconnects or it's gotten worse. Rebooting the Nest resolves the issue. Today if it happens I'll try rebooting the router to see if that also fixes the Nest Thermostat temporarily.

Set the AX band to AX only and the 2.4ghz band to wireless N.

Let the router auto find the best channels for all bands. Test throughput speeds and then manually set these channels.