What's new

ASUS Zenwifi XT8 Node Causes Internet to Drop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpinalTap

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

It seems that something unknown to me has changed and now when I have my node connected, it cause flaky internet connections. Without the node powered on, the internet connects and works fine. After about 1 to 2 minutes of the node being turned on and registering in the console, my internet connection starts dropping and reconnecting.

I have tried factory resetting, public betas of the firmware and the latest stock firmware - with multiple factory resets along the way.

Hello !
I am really sorry as I am not going to save you from this problem, because the thing is... I have exactly the same one.
Everything worked perfectly for 2 months, and since three days, all devices connected to the node keep losing Internet for a few seconds, and it happens at least one time every 5 minutes.
You experienced this issue a few months ago, maybe you found a solution ?
If not, maybe we can help each other anyway.
Thank you a lot :)

I finally found an answer... kind of...
I think the problem came from the last firmware update.
I was on Version 3.0.0.4.386.43170.
But since I rolled back to Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095, it appears I don't have issues anymore.

I finally found an answer... kind of...
I think the problem came from the last firmware update.
I was on Version 3.0.0.4.386.43170.
But since I rolled back to Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095, it appears I don't have issues anymore.

Personally I found the same issues until I did a full hard reset and setup everything again manually. The latest firmware from Asus is actually the best I have tested ever since I did a full factory hard reset. I used to get drops all the time, and now I have none.

Having said the above, I separate out my bands, with my IoT devices on the 2.4 band, ac on 5-1, and ax on 5-2. I also ensure that the 2.4 band is as vanilla as it can get. I now finally have a stable network after a year of drops, so I really cannot say anything against this latest firmware except to remind everyone to do a full reset before a manual setup.

Hey hey.

Had the same issue - the main node was dropping it's connection to internet. Regardless of whether it was using DHCP (aggressive or normal modes) or Static IP address. Every now and then the connection would be dead and not recovering. The system.log contained the following message: "WAN Connection: WAN(0) link down". Firmware wise - all three devices have 3.0.0.4.386_43170.
My solution was to put a 1gb switch between the Zenwifi AX main node and internet router. Connect WAN interface to the switch. Connect LAN1 interface to the switch. Enable Dual WAN in the UI.
Settings of the Dual WAN are following
Basic config Section
Enable Dual WAN - On
Primary WAN - WAN
Secondary WAN - Ethernet LAN | LAN Port 1
Dual WAN Mode - Fail Over | Allow fallback checked
Auto Network Detection (will mention only what is different from standard settings)
Network monitoring - Ping checked
Ping target - i chose www.google.com

This small workaround helps me to continue working while great Asus firmware developers scratching their heads to find the solution that would keep WAN connection stable.

Hope it helps.

Hey hey.

Had the same issue - the main node was dropping it's connection to internet. Regardless of whether it was using DHCP (aggressive or normal modes) or Static IP address. Every now and then the connection would be dead and not recovering. The system.log contained the following message: "WAN Connection: WAN(0) link down". Firmware wise - all three devices have 3.0.0.4.386_43170.
My solution was to put a 1gb switch between the Zenwifi AX main node and internet router. Connect WAN interface to the switch. Connect LAN1 interface to the switch. Enable Dual WAN in the UI.
Settings of the Dual WAN are following
Basic config Section
Enable Dual WAN - On
Primary WAN - WAN
Secondary WAN - Ethernet LAN | LAN Port 1
Dual WAN Mode - Fail Over | Allow fallback checked
Auto Network Detection (will mention only what is different from standard settings)
Network monitoring - Ping checked
Ping target - i chose www.google.com

This small workaround helps me to continue working while great Asus firmware developers scratching their heads to find the solution that would keep WAN connection stable.

Hope it helps.

Strange. I have not seen this behaviour at all. In fact doing a full hard reset and manually setting everything up (i.e. not using config backup restore) managed to sort the issues I have been having for many many months. I should add however that the current 43170 firmware is the first version to finally sort out those issues. I should however admit that initially I simply upgraded to 43170, but a full hard reset was the only thing that enabled all the gremlins to go away.

Have you tried writing up your config, doing a full hard reset and manually setup your router and nodes again?

Strange. I have not seen this behaviour at all. In fact doing a full hard reset and manually setting everything up (i.e. not using config backup restore) managed to sort the issues I have been having for many many months. I should add however that the current 43170 firmware is the first version to finally sort out those issues. I should however admit that initially I simply upgraded to 43170, but a full hard reset was the only thing that enabled all the gremlins to go away.

Have you tried writing up your config, doing a full hard reset and manually setup your router and nodes again?
Nope, hard reset is usually for me an extreme case. The drop of connection while it was using single connection (DHCP or Static) was rather indicator of an inability of of the device to recover the connection. Plus i had switch at hand ...

Nope, hard reset is usually for me an extreme case. The drop of connection while it was using single connection (DHCP or Static) was rather indicator of an inability of of the device to recover the connection. Plus i had switch at hand ...

I would recommend strongly that you try it. If you are happy with your work around, then it’s probably not worth complaining here in the first place. :)

Thanks
Rather sharing the workaround than complaining ;)

For most, this is not a valid workaround. I'm still going to strongly urge you to actually bother trying the hard reset method plus manual resetting up the device. I know it is slow and painful, but again I can't stress how this took away some issues that I have experienced for over 12 months. Last time I tried the hard reset method, I have to admit that nothing did improve, but I suspect there is some fundamental changes to the code on this latest release that simply pushing the old config against the new firmware version is simply not working. I've also noticed a few other changes to some of the settings in the UI which were not present before further suggesting that this latest release is actually quite a departure from their previous ones.

If you dig through this forum in the more distant past, you will note that many of us were complaining that we had to put in place nightly reboots and that often devices would simply drop off the network and be difficult to reconnect. The latest firmware along with a hard reset has literally melted those issues away.