What's new

Asus ZenWifi XT8 strangeness

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I love today's response from Asus CS. Basically they cannot be bothered to troubleshoot:

ASUS: 'You might be correct this might be a firmware bug. I can suggest you to update to the latest one and see if the problems occur again.
If you continue to experience the issues again I can advise to install a bit of an older one.
Here is the link for the Firmware updates : https://www.asus.com/Networking/ZenWiFi-AX-XT8/HelpDesk_BIOS/
If after that there are still the same issues then it should be a hardware error somewhere and i can only suggest a replacement unit through the place of purchase.'

I did tell that what firmware I was using. Just such a poor response. o_O

Might want to give the 386RC2 beta asus just pushed out for the XT8. I installed it a few days ago and so far it’s been running great, no dropouts, full speeds off the node, everything so far is way better than it was on the last 25524 firmware.

WPS reset, scroll down to method 2.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/#:~:text=To reset your router to,Reset button on your router.

I assume you mean the reset where you place a pin into the reset hole at the bottom, hold until the amber light flashes and then leave it a bit, turn it off and then back on. That is at least the method I use unless you tell me there is another one which involves the WPS button instead. I do this to both devices before setting up again.

My method otherwise tends to involve setting up first node totally and leaving second off, before finally allowing them to pair and making a few final adjustments.

At the moment I am using Smart Connect, but I think based on what I am reading on this forum I should probably separate my 2.4G and 5G1/2 bands off to separate networks. Will make 2.4G for my IoT 802.11g network legacy devices, 5G-1 for some legacy 802.11n and 802.11ac devices, and leave 5G-2 for my 802.11ax devices. Doing a full separation might overcome some of the strange bios behaviour around backhaul/fronthaul.

Smart connect however really should be able to sort this out for you!

Might want to give the 386RC2 beta asus just pushed out for the XT8. I installed it a few days ago and so far it’s been running great, no dropouts, full speeds off the node, everything so far is way better than it was on the last 25524 firmware.
Where did you get the beta code? I have been googling and poking around but not finding it.

Never mind....I found it

Where did you get the beta code? I have been googling and poking around but not finding it.

Never mind....I found it
Ok, finally had a moment to flash to the RC2 image. I did scan through the release notes, so no suprise, but it did not fix the manual DHCP problems that I am still experiencing. I will probably stay on it a few days just to see how other things go.

Just to add a bit of balance to this discussion, I have a pair of XT8's in mesh configuration with wireless backhaul and have found them to be absolutely faultless. I get a solid signal now all over my house (2,500 sq feet, two stories) where previously my old AC68U would struggle to provide a reliable signal in many spots, especially upstairs.

The setup was painless. The two devices established a solid 160MHz dedicated backhaul connection and I used the same SSID's and passwords as previously, so all my devices - about 15 - connected straight off. I've been running it without a hitch now for 2 weeks. It's not so much as coughed. I get way more bandwidth than my ISP provides, everywhere. I could not be more pleased.

I am sorry to those of you having problems, and I don't mean to gloat. I just wanted to add another perspective for potential purchasers viewing this thread.

Just to add a bit of balance to this discussion, I have a pair of XT8's in mesh configuration with wireless backhaul and have found them to be absolutely faultless. I get a solid signal now all over my house (2,500 sq feet, two stories) where previously my old AC68U would struggle to provide a reliable signal in many spots, especially upstairs.

The setup was painless. The two devices established a solid 160MHz dedicated backhaul connection and I used the same SSID's and passwords as previously, so all my devices - about 15 - connected straight off. I've been running it without a hitch now for 2 weeks. It's not so much as coughed. I get way more bandwidth than my ISP provides, everywhere. I could not be more pleased.

I am sorry to those of you having problems, and I don't mean to gloat. I just wanted to add another perspective for potential purchasers viewing this thread.

People will undoubtably read the comments from the retail sites first regarding the XT8 and most of those are average to poor overall. Considering the XT8 isn't even available I don’t think the comments here are even being read unless you already have a XT8 that has the horrible buggy firmware that Asus keeps sending out for it.

FWIW, to solve some issues, I have setup the router to simply reboot each night. Not really an elegant way to deal with issues, but at least the MacBook Pros can now remain connected to wifi.

Reactions: RJT
Hello may i know how many channels supported by 5ghz-1 beside 36? I wonder if the fromt haul 5ghz-1 support those upper 149 153 157 ch... my device samsung doesnt find wifi access point when my router is in lower ch, need to be 149 and above