What's new

ASUSWRT 386 new guest network IP space and DHCP static IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IoT and guests are equally non-welcome to a main network.

Simply use Guest 1 for both.

IoT and guests are equally non-welcome to a main network.

Simply use Guest 1 for both.
It’s more of a password thing for visitors who come to the house. I prefer to have strong passwords for the IOTs that are resident on the guest network. You saying since limited access password not too much of concern?

No, not saying that. Guests can have just as strong/long/complex passwords too. It's a privilege to have internet access, not a right. :)

Hah. Yes. But also a massive inconvenience for yours truly when I have to share a 24 character hex password with my kids teenage friends when they visit

Hah. Yes. But also a massive inconvenience for yours truly when I have to share a 24 character hex password with my kids teenage friends when they visit

Try using a passphrase like 'the grass is always greener on the other side 2021'.

OE

Well, a guest WIFI on an AP can not be isolated from the LAN. Even under the 386 firmware code. With AiMesh 2.0 you can sync the guest network to the nodes from the router and maintain isolation from the LAN.
Hi, how are you able to use Guest Network 1 with mesh nodes? (Intranet Disabled). For me GN1, intranet disabled simply does not work on mesh nodes, devices will not get an IP address. When Intranet access is enabled, GN1 starts working. GN2 does not have Sync to AiMesh Node, so it makes no sense to use that.

For me i do not care whether it maintains a different subnet or not on GN1. I simply would like to use Guest Network on mesh nodes without providing access to intranet. It does not work. Can you help?

Refer to this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-aimesh-guest-network-issues.72955/

Hi, how are you able to use Guest Network 1 with mesh nodes? (Intranet Disabled). For me GN1, intranet disabled simply does not work on mesh nodes, devices will not get an IP address. When Intranet access is enabled, GN1 starts working. GN2 does not have Sync to AiMesh Node, so it makes no sense to use that.

For me i do not care whether it maintains a different subnet or not on GN1. I simply would like to use Guest Network on mesh nodes without providing access to intranet. It does not work. Can you help?

Refer to this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-aimesh-guest-network-issues.72955/
1. Upgrade your devices to the most recent firmware, Asus or Merlin.
2. Make sure your root AiMesh device is in router mode.
3. Enable either or both Guest 1 networks with Sync to AiMesh Node set to All. Access Intranet Disabled.
You may need to reboot the AiMesh nodes to get the Guest 1 to sync. Worst case remove and re add the node(s). A hard Factory Reset may be needed for the nodes.

1. Upgrade your devices to the most recent firmware, Asus or Merlin.
2. Make sure your root AiMesh device is in router mode.
3. Enable either or both Guest 1 networks with Sync to AiMesh Node set to All. Access Intranet Disabled.
You may need to reboot the AiMesh nodes to get the Guest 1 to sync. Worst case remove and re add the node(s). A hard Factory Reset may be needed for the nodes.
Thank you for replying.

They are both on the latest firmware, GN1 turned on with Sync to AiMesh Node set to All along with Access Intranet Disabled. They do not work. Reset and reboot all done.

I have some other findings though, if i use wireless backhaul for the node, Guest Network works as it should with all the settings set as above. If i start using wired ethernet backhaul, it stops working and devices are unable to get an IP assigned when trying to connect near the mesh node.

Thank you for replying.

They are both on the latest firmware, GN1 turned on with Sync to AiMesh Node set to All along with Access Intranet Disabled. They do not work. Reset and reboot all done.

I have some other findings though, if i use wireless backhaul for the node, Guest Network works as it should with all the settings set as above. If i start using wired ethernet backhaul, it stops working and devices are unable to get an IP assigned when trying to connect near the mesh node.
Are you using the WAN port on the nodes?

Can anyone pls tell me how many clients can connect to Guest Network 1 (GN1)? I have my IOT devices on GN1 and have all visitors to my house use that network as well. Lately I've noticed I cannot add new devices to GN1 so I activated GN2 but I noticed new devices connecting to GN2 share the same IP as the main network even though they are denied access to the intranet.
Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!