What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.41 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@ Bob

Oy, what an old version you are running! I have the same router and did delay upgrading as the jump from the SDK5 to the new SDK6 wireless drivers would have meant, as you say, a full manual reconfigure. Just wanted the new driver to bed down and see good results.

I took loads of screenshots to aid my switchover

That time has now arrived and I am running the latest version. Download it yourself and look at the readme for all the changes.

@bob
I have a N66U running 374.41. In my case the wireless ranges.2.4 and 5 seem to be back to where they were back when I purchased the router. Has been a long time of less range to stay current. In my case my house is rather small and doesn't pose any real issues except for one room. That room has been marginal for several releases but is back to where it used to be with this release.
--bill

Bob at this point if you want a secure network you really dont have a choice but to upgrade your N66U If security is not a issue for you then stay with what you have. There is a signal reduction in the newer builds over SDK5 but Merlin has made it much better, but in my opinion not as good as the older K5 driver. As always YMMV.

OK, I am currently running Merlin firmware 3.0.0.4.270.26b on my Asus RT-N66U. Is this release finally the rock solid replacement and is it good enough to cost me the time and effort to manually reconfigure all my settings? What are the thoughts on this current version (374.41), especially compared to the 270.26b version?

Merlin, I am especially interested in your thoughts here. I have no issues with the older version; it seems to be completely solid, good range, good performance, no complaints with anything regarding the older firmware but I know It is older and might have some security issues which the newer firmware would/should resolve.

270.26b is way, way old now. Aside from all the security issues that have been found, publicly disclosed, and resolved, there are also tons of bugfixes to various areas such as OpenVPN or traffic monitoring. Have a look at the changelog for an idea of how much has changed. I definitely do not recommend using such an old build any longer.

For the vast majority of users, the RT-N66 374.41 build provides the same wireless range and performance as 270.26b. A few users even reported actually better results. Make sure however that you do a factory default reset and manually reconfigure everything after flashing, and also that you remove and recreate the wireless profiles on all your connected computers. This will ensure that the client will use the most optimal low-level parameters when connecting with the router's newer wireless driver.

Some bugs I have noticed:
-wps always seems to reset itself to using pin not button (rt-ac66u)
-I did a factory reset, on stock firmware when I connect I am asked to set up the router (on win8.1) not on merlin

Thanks for all the information and opinions. If you look at my signature below you'll see that I did indeed take the plunge and upgrade to the latest Merlin firmware.

So far, so good, only a few hours of run time so far. Fingers are crossed hoping this is as rock solid reliable as the older 26b version was.

Thanks again everyone!

I have recently updated my RT-AC68U from version 374.39 to 374.41.
With the new version minidlna crashes if I add Media Server Paths for each of my content.

If I add 1 folder with photos and one with videos minidlna does not work anymore.
In the attachment "settings-that-do-not-work.png" you can see the config that crashed minidlna. With these settings if I go to router.asus.com:8200 I get the error "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to router.asus.com:8200" and my TV cannot see the media server anymore.

If I add the entire partition, it works, but why should we have the option to choose the folders when this option does not work?

EDIT: If I change the order ( add first the "Media" folder then "Album foto" folder) it works OK. Someone should look into this.

Attachments

• settings-that-do-not-work.png
    settings-that-do-not-work.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
I have recently updated my RT-AC68U from version 374.39 to 374.41.
With the new version minidlna crashes if I add Media Server Paths for each of my content.

If I add 1 folder with photos and one with videos minidlna does not work anymore.
In the attachment "settings-that-do-not-work.png" you can see the config that crashed minidlna. With these settings if I go to router.asus.com:8200 I get the error "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to router.asus.com:8200" and my TV cannot see the media server anymore.

If I add the entire partition, it works, but why should we have the option to choose the folders when this option does not work?

Try NOT to use space between "Album foto" and try again. And use foto image to fotos.

I changed "Album foto" to "Album_foto" and it works.
I still think that someone should look into this and try to catch this exception.

That would be a bug report you want to submit to the minidlna programmers.

i love this build , i just wish it had the command line .

i would love to see a build for risk takers :D

SSH is EASY.
I actually prefer it to the CMD tab as that did not give much feedback whereas an SSH client does. It is much more intuitive.

what are you talking about

telnet/ssh is available on this build

SSH is EASY.
I actually prefer it to the CMD tab as that did not give much feedback whereas an SSH client does. It is much more intuitive.

exactly "telnet/ssh" lol :D , how can i access it if it's build in?

1 - nowadays i m using puttytel from a PC

2 - CMD used to be much easier for me ,because i mostly use smart phone/tablet

This is all running on Linux...while embedded spaces are allowed and expected in Windows file names, they can be problematic in a Linux file name (although they are allowed). Best to just stay away from them. Couple of things that UNIX/Linux users do: "AlbumFoto" or "Album_foto" (the latter as mentioned before). Yes, this is a bug, report it and all, but for future reference, there's no point in going there.

In fact, if you log into your router and do an "ls" of the file "Album foto", assuming that you had a file with that name, unless you use the quotes around the whole name or put a "\" before each space, the shell will take this as two file names, "Album" and "foto". It isn't hard to see how bugs like this can be introduced, especially if testing is done by engineers that tend to use "correct" input, and it wouldn't occur to them to create a file name with an embedded space.

For the 5Ghz light blinking issue, i tested an it was fixed in ASUS official 3.0.0.4.374_5656. No longer blinking and the led physical button LED light control is no longer overwritten to turn back on whenever we change the wifi settings

exactly "telnet/ssh" lol :D , how can i access it if it's build in?

1 - nowadays i m using puttytel from a PC

2 - CMD used to be much easier for me ,because i mostly use smart phone/tablet

1. Use putty not puttytel since that is telnet only and putty is telnet and ssh client. Use ssh over telnet, ssh is encrypted, telnet is plain text.

Under "Administration" ---> "System tab you can enable telnet/ssh

2. use juicessh if you want to do ssh on android, its free and really good. if you are using iphone im sure there is an ssh client you can download from itunes but will cost money.

There is an update for RT-N66U (.41), because I can't find it on the download page.
Thx!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

For the 5Ghz light blinking issue, i tested an it was fixed in ASUS official 3.0.0.4.374_5656. No longer blinking and the led physical button LED light control is no longer overwritten to turn back on whenever we change the wifi settings

It is a side effect of Stealth Mode, and without the lowlevel documentation from Broadcom that documents how to configure the LED registers, I can't figure out what causes the conflict.

There is an update for RT-N66U (.41), because I can't find it on the download page.

Asuswrt-Merlin -> RT-N66U_All_model

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!