What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.41 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is a side effect of Stealth Mode, and without the lowlevel documentation from Broadcom that documents how to configure the LED registers, I can't figure out what causes the conflict.

Since Asus found a fix for the light is it possible to get the fix from them and add it to your next build ? Just as Asus should add your comcast IPv6 overflow issue to there new builds.

Since Asus found a fix for the light is it possible to get the fix from them and add it to your next build ? Just as Asus should add your comcast IPv6 overflow issue to there new builds.

As I said, it's not a bug, but a side effect of it. I already spent over two hours on this, double checked the values they write to the hardware registers to program the LED, and it's the same values that I use. Without the SDK documentation, I have no way of knowing if the values are correct. It's possible that it works only by luck for them (could be related to the order or timing as to when the values are written to the hardware register).

That's the price to pay when working with zero documentation...

Thank you RMerlin. It was a problem with my browser: I had to change the zoom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

1) No idea, and I didn't bother looking into it because I know that Asus broke it in 5547, and will have to rework the way it's implemented due to the recent security fixes involving disclosure of the router password in the source code.

2) I tried to figure out why the LED behaviour was different, and couldn't find it. I have to handle the LED differently from Asus due to Stealth Mode, however I don't see what is causing the current behaviour. In the end, this is all handled by the closed-source driver, so I have zero documentation about the registers controlling its behaviour. Since I don't see why this is such a big deal, I won't be devoting any additional time to this in the near future unless I can obtain some actual documentation to guide me through it.

What exactly is the problem with blinking light and in which Merlin release it appears first?

Merlin Wrote:
I have to handle the LED differently from Asus due to Stealth Mode.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is stealth mode needed with the 68U due to it has a option on the router to turn off all led's ?

Also for some people it is a issue because simply its not right and would be nice if the light functioned as intended.

Wanted to add checking this issue i noticed with your firmware 41 the light does stay solid until the first 5 Ghz device connects to the router that is when the light goes wonky. Not sure if that tells you anything but i thought i would mention it.

Last edited:
Using Merlins 374.41, I noticed that on 5GHz wireless (40MHz bandwidth), it only goes up to channel 157.

Unless my memory is wrong, I remember that there was a 161 channel option before on 40MHz.

Am I wrong here?

Using Merlins 374.41, I noticed that on 5GHz wireless (40MHz bandwidth), it only goes up to channel 157.

Unless my memory is wrong, I remember that there was a 161 channel option before on 40MHz.

Am I wrong here?

Your correct , Not sure how that happened. But i can say 157+159 works great !!

Sharing root folder with SAMBA (not each single folder)

It is. It drove me nuts getting to the bottom of that one. Merlin got me on the right track and helped me nail down the issue.

I think this is caused by "USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk > Allow guest login" changing from On to Off.

Hi ColinTaylor and DrTeeth,
I've just upgraded from 374.40 to 374.41 on my RT-N66U. I've the same problem: in .40 I could see my SAMBA shared "/tmp/mnt/Volume" in windows7 and mapped (all folders visible). Now after upgrading (and turning off guest login) I can see each single folder mapped like this "Folder1 (at Volume), Folder2 (at Volume)...." and so on. Is it possible to share root folder "Volume" without turning on "Allow guest login"?

Thanks.

hello, this is my first post here.

I just got a new AC66U to replace an old Engenius N300 router. The new firmware and router works well.

thanks.

Saw this in the change log that Octopus posted is there a 42 release on the horizon ?

374.42 (xx-xxx-2014)
- NEW: Added Comodo Secure DNS to supported DNSFilter services
- FIXED: Download2 folder wasn't selectable anymore on the
Media Server page.
- FIXED: Pass correct valid and preferred lifetime to radvd when
using DHCPv6-PD (Patch by pinwing)
- CHANGED: Removed Norton Connect Safe which seems to be discontinued
(their website has disappeared). Users should switch to
either OpenDNS or OpenDNS Family Shield.
- CHANGED: Make the router use dnsmasq for local resolution
rather than always using the ISP DNS.
- CHANGED: Upgraded OpenVPN to 2.3.3.
- CHANGED: Upgraded miniupnpd to 1.8.20140422 (PCP-related fixes)

Last edited:
Merlin Wrote:
I have to handle the LED differently from Asus due to Stealth Mode.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is stealth mode needed with the 68U due to it has a option on the router to turn off all led's ?

Yes, because you can't schedule LED behaviour through Cron with the hardware switch.

Saw this in the change log that Octopus posted is there a 42 release on the horizon ?

Github contains development code. Unlike Tomato devs, I push code throughout development, so other contributors can participate before a release gets finalized.

There is no timetable at this moment for the next release.

Hi guys

I don`t know if it was already asked here but here we go

Why with the Merlin build the 5Ghz led at 68U blinks different? I mean, sometimes it blinks sometimes it appears to turn off, it`s not 100% of the time on, i don`t know how to explain but i think you got it :)

Is there any issue with my router or everything is ok and it`s a FW feature?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi guys

I don`t know if it was already asked here but here we go

Why with the Merlin build the 5Ghz led at 68U blinks different? I mean, sometimes it blinks sometimes it appears to turn off, it`s not 100% of the time on, i don`t know how to explain but i think you got it :)

Is there any issue with my router or everything is ok and it`s a FW feature?

Thanks

Read post #262

Hi ColinTaylor and DrTeeth,
I've just upgraded from 374.40 to 374.41 on my RT-N66U. I've the same problem: in .40 I could see my SAMBA shared "/tmp/mnt/Volume" in windows7 and mapped (all folders visible). Now after upgrading (and turning off guest login) I can see each single folder mapped like this "Folder1 (at Volume), Folder2 (at Volume)...." and so on. Is it possible to share root folder "Volume" without turning on "Allow guest login"?
Not it's not. It's just the way ASUS have decided to do it. The closest you could get would be to create a single folder in the root (call it something like "share" or "Volume") and share that.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!