What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Code:
Message from syslogd@WAN at Aug  6 11:57:17 ...
 Connection: Detected that the WAN Connection Type was PPPoE. But the PPPoE Setting was not complete.
Message from syslogd@WAN at Aug  6 13:26:55 ...
 Connection: Detected that the WAN Connection Type was PPPoE. But the PPPoE Setting was not complete.
Message from syslogd@WAN at Aug  6 13:35:37 ...

Three times.

Ncyclon, this is an error I'm seeing on my device as well, at least running the latest Asus firmware. If I set things to static, I get the errors above. If I set to DHCP, I also get the 'DHCP did not function properly' crap.

At least on my device, these are real errors, ie, the primary WAN connection drops and then comes back up a few minutes later [(WAN0) connection was restored]. During that time, internet access is down and the router is trying to fail over to the secondary connection.

I've opened a case with Asus but who knows when or if this will be fixed.

I've upgraded to Merlin's latest (as you did) and will see if this build does any better on this front.

Ncyclon, this is an error I'm seeing on my device as well, at least running the latest Asus firmware. If I set things to static, I get the errors above. If I set to DHCP, I also get the 'DHCP did not function properly' crap.

At least on my device, these are real errors, ie, the primary WAN connection drops and then comes back up a few minutes later [(WAN0) connection was restored]. During that time, internet access is down and the router is trying to fail over to the secondary connection.

I've opened a case with Asus but who knows when or if this will be fixed.

I've upgraded to Merlin's latest (as you did) and will see if this build does any better on this front.

Still a problem, even with Merlin's latest load:

Aug 7 12:28:42 WAN(0) Connection: Detected that the WAN Connection Type was PPPoE. But the PPPoE Setting was not complete.

The secondary connection was then brought up:

Aug 7 12:30:53 WAN(1) Connection: WAN was restored.

Then the fallback to WAN(0):

Aug 7 12:31:22 WAN(0) Connection: WAN was restored.

Like others my harddrives are showing up with errors which is a tad unlikely that both failed at the same moment.

Already unplugged and checked both which turned out to be fine.

Ejecting the disks safely and changing usb ports seem to correct this as the test past fine.
Unfortunately it remained in the display as unmounted even though it clearly was and could be accessed.
Leaving the network tab and going back results in a display showing the harddrive mounted but having errors even though the test shows ok.

Something in the firmware is borked.

RT N66U

I had the same problem and solved it by powering down the router (unplug power cable and switch on to drain current). I also powered down my usb drives after about 5 minutes along with router. When I turned it on both drives were detected...

After testing the latest stock firmware it seems the majoirty of the bugs are from asus themselves.

Example the harddrive error bug is from them.

Not sure if this was already mentioned but there is a slight gui anomaly on the status bar....pic attached...

Attachments

• Screenshots_2014-08-07-15-40-54.jpg
    Screenshots_2014-08-07-15-40-54.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 423
Have to ask the obvious question. Are you sure you downloaded the correct file. 374.34_2 is the first in the list.
Maybe an oops? ;)

--bill

Thanks for asking that question. The zip and trx files are named .376.44 is correct and md5sum matches
$ md5sum RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx
e8b5561f4ba2ca644c9d4a030f93fd78 *RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx

this is puzzling. I came from 374.43

Thanks for asking that question. The zip and trx files are named .376.44 is correct and md5sum matches
$ md5sum RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx
e8b5561f4ba2ca644c9d4a030f93fd78 *RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx

this is puzzling. I came from 374.43

Found the issue. Somehow the config from 374.43 seems to prevent proper upgrading to .44, I restored the .42 config into .43, then upgraded .43 to .44 and it shows up as .44 . Go figure.

Does changing the WiFi region not work in this release? I'm changing my region using the following set of commands, however I'm still getting the default set of channels (1-13 for 2.4GHz and 36-48 for 5GHz). N66U.

nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set wl0_country=#a
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country=#a
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

Found the issue. Somehow the config from 374.43 seems to prevent proper upgrading to .44, I restored the .42 config into .43, then upgraded .43 to .44 and it shows up as .44 . Go figure.

Now that is odd. Glad you got it working. I am one of those that have had issues with updating with a flash drive plugged in. Would go through all the motions of a successful update but would still be at the old, current, firmware version rather then the new after reboot. Unplugging the flash allowed the update then plugged flash back in without issue. I guess Asus cannot test with every possible configuration combination so some of us will get bit by a problem. :)

--bill

Now that is odd. Glad you got it working. I am one of those that have had issues with updating with a flash drive plugged in. Would go through all the motions of a successful update but would still be at the old, current, firmware version rather then the new after reboot. Unplugging the flash allowed the update then plugged flash back in without issue. I guess Asus cannot test with every possible configuration combination so some of us will get bit by a problem. :)

--bill

Never update firmware with a usb drive plugged in. It never ends well.

--bill

I do have a flash drive plugged in. Maybe that's why. But mine shows. 32 after upgrading then.

I have also noticed a higher bork level with a usb drive connected while flashing firmware.

Issue with changing rt-n66u LAN iP from default

First I want to chime in to say thanks to Merlin for his work.

I also wanted to report a weird issue I have with Merlin's build, I notice that my rt-n66u Web UI and even the router performance starts to slow and become unresponsive whenever I change the default lan IP to say for ex. 192.168.11.1.

I follow the same steps on the latest official release and don't run into this issue.

has anyone else notice this?

-supe

First I want to chime in to say thanks to Merlin for his work.

I also wanted to report a weird issue I have with Merlin's build, I notice that my rt-n66u Web UI and even the router performance starts to slow and become unresponsive whenever I change the default lan IP to say for ex. 192.168.11.1.

I follow the same steps on the latest official release and don't run into this issue.

has anyone else notice this?

-supe

Nope. Also not running at the default address. No problems here. Are you sure no other device is running at the same IP?

On the other hand, I kept losing internet connectivity over WiFi with .43, and had reboots if I enabled IPv6 on .41, and I haven't seen either of those issues with .44. For me, range is fine and speeds are fine and it works more consistently with .44. Your Mileage May Vary.
I will try again - this time from "clean" .43
Just to be sure.
Those differences might be related to different hardware revisions of radio chips maybe?
I mean they each have it's own internal microcode which is untouched by upgrades right?
And in this case - radio chips might be from different batches and ... well react differently to upgraded "general" radio code in firmware.

Ping

Helio Merlin,

With my operator router a thompson tg799 I have a ping of 3 when I run speedtest.net.

With asus ac68u everytime I run speedtest I have a ping of 29 or 30, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3676080151

Is there some config that is lowering my ping on asus, runing the latest merlin build.

It appened with other merlin builds too.

Thanks for your reply.

PS: I am using Ethernet not wireless

Last edited:
What will this do that .43 doesn't ? anything worth having?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!