What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i did factory default reset on my RT-N66U and now i have 2 JFFS directories:

admin@RT-N66U:/# ls
asus_jffs dev lib proc sys var
bin etc mmc rom sysroot www
cifs1 home mnt root tmp
cifs2 jffs opt sbin usr

both are empty.

cifs1 home mnt root tmp

cifs2 jffs opt sbin usr

both are empty.

Try the "mount" command to see where jffs is mounted.

Try the "mount" command to see where jffs is mounted.

admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

hmm...
now jffs directory has the following:

configs scripts syslog.log syslog.log-1

but asus_jffs is empty

Even my ledson ledsoff scripts are back!
But i DID reset to factory defaults, i thought it erases jffs as well... ???????

Last edited:
AC56 (EU) with 376.44

Running disk utility from the web UI ends with a popup stating "Fail to get the log of fsck!". Moving to another page and coming back to Disk Utility page (without running any disk check) results in the same popup with the same message.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 417
Lost my partition on RT-AC66U

Important: The JFFS2 partition layout has changed on the RT-AC56 and RT-AC68. If you have stored any file in this partition, make sure you make a backup of its content before flashing 376.44 (or any newer version)!

Merlin,

I have an RT-AC66U and upgraded the firmware to 376.44 this morning. A Western Digital Passport portable hard drive is connected to the router for network storage. Contrary to your warning above, the new firmware deleted the original partition and I seem to have lost nearly 800 GB of very valuable data. Should this have happened on an RT-AC66U?

I immediately unmounted the drive to prevent any overwrites, and I'm hopeful the files are still intact. Do you have any recommendations on how to recover the drive? Any insight you have on precisely how the new firmware modified the partition layout would be greatly appreciated.

cifs1 home mnt root tmp
cifs2 jffs opt sbin usr

both are empty.

asus_jffs is something they recently added to the firmware. No idea what they intend to use it for, for now it's just an unused mount point.

As for the regular jffs, you need to enable it under System -> Adimistration, then reboot.

Even my ledson ledsoff scripts are back!
But i DID reset to factory defaults, i thought it erases jffs as well... ???????

No. I believe Asus's stock firmware erases it automatically, but I removed that functionality from my firmware. However I do have it set to be disabled by default, so if you create a jffs script that's preventing your router from booting, you won't be permanently locked out of your router - a factory default reset will disable it.

Merlin,

I have an RT-AC66U and upgraded the firmware to 376.44 this morning. A Western Digital Passport portable hard drive is connected to the router for network storage. Contrary to your warning above, the new firmware deleted the original partition and I seem to have lost nearly 800 GB of very valuable data. Should this have happened on an RT-AC66U?

I immediately unmounted the drive to prevent any overwrites, and I'm hopeful the files are still intact. Do you have any recommendations on how to recover the drive? Any insight you have on precisely how the new firmware modified the partition layout would be greatly appreciated.

The partition layout I am talking about is the internal flash memory. It has nothing to do at all with USB disks.

The partition layout I am talking about is the internal flash memory. It has nothing to do at all with USB disks.

Hmmm... Do you have any idea what might have happened? The data on the drive was fine until I upgraded the firmware, then it was empty.

I moved all the FCC talks to a separate thread here since this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Hmmm... Do you have any idea what might have happened? The data on the drive was fine until I upgraded the firmware, then it was empty.

The RT-AC66U still uses the same Paragon NTFS driver as used in previous FW (unlike the RT-AC56 and RT-AC68 which were switched to the new Tuxera driver), so I don't think it was caused by the firmware update itself. Could be filesystem corruption caused by an improper shutdown, or random bugs with the Paragon driver (that's one of the reasons why Asus is moving away from Paragon).

I recommend plugging it to a PC, and running a filesystem check on it. It might be able to recover some of the missing files by repairing the filesystem structure.

If it still fails, try a tool such as Recuva (freeware), see what it could recover if you run a full scan with it.

The RT-AC66U still uses the same Paragon NTFS driver as used in previous FW (unlike the RT-AC56 and RT-AC68 which were switched to the new Tuxera driver), so I don't think it was caused by the firmware update itself. Could be filesystem corruption caused by an improper shutdown, or random bugs with the Paragon driver (that's one of the reasons why Asus is moving away from Paragon).

I recommend plugging it to a PC, and running a filesystem check on it. It might be able to recover some of the missing files by repairing the filesystem structure.

If it still fails, try a tool such as Recuva (freeware), see what it could recover if you run a full scan with it.

Thanks very much for the helpful advice. I will try your suggestions.

Hi - .43 works great, no issues. Actually my second 66U seemed solid after the upgrade. I was having issues with the primary. I'm a bit confused, if the config had an issue, wouldn't it show up on both routers and with .43?

I will try the reset and manual rebuild. My only reservation is that I have a huge MAC Filter list that I don't fancy imputing :)

Yes, but he also states that he reloaded the config. That is what I'm wondering about.

Reloading the config from a previous version renders the clearing of nvram useless, unless values were corrupted to start with. Could be an old setting that is in the way.

I was just messing around a bit and suddenly a shirtload of extra settings appeared under wireless professional like beam forwarding or so and much much more and just as sudden these settings disappeared again.

I factory resetted but still these settings are gone but I think that when I refresh the page I can momentarily see them...

(rt-ac66u)

I switched back to 374.41 firmware, do to signal strength at long range on both bands being far better.

Update

OK....I upgraded the 66u again and it went through it's steps just fine...Did the manual reboot and it booted fine. I cleared the logs so all the information would be new and easy to read. I tried to connect and the connection would fail (I would bounce to the secondary AP). I re-entered the WPA key and hit apply.....same symptoms.

Interesting, after clearing the logs, they stayed blank...no updates.

I decided to reboot the router and did it off the console interface. Once doing that it said, Applying the Config....and rebooted.

Upon reboot it is working fine. My connections are holding and the logs are recording.

Not sure what was going on, but it looks good now. I upgraded my backup without any drama, Did the upgrade, rebooted and it is working fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

John

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!