What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="Vimes, post: 621714, member: 52684"

Thanks regarding the Tools and JFFS query. I wondered if it might be due to this firmwares changes that are unique. I am now adapting to using vanilla for testing purposes. I am not using their latest, but the previous version.
[/QUOTE]
BTW, I'm not sure it's available in the stock firmware, but issuing the command "uptime" in the CLI will show you how long the present system has been running.
(Should be in stock - it appears to be part of busbox).

WiFi drop out issue had been around since quite sometime ago, not something new. I first discovered it on 68U after updating to a new stock FW. Slowly I figured out the problem was due to WiFi channel changed at router end. Ever since I fixed the WiFi channel I never encounter such issue in 68U and 86U, both stock FW and latest Merlin FW 384.19.

[QUOTE="Vimes, post: 621714, member: 52684"

Thanks regarding the Tools and JFFS query. I wondered if it might be due to this firmwares changes that are unique. I am now adapting to using vanilla for testing purposes. I am not using their latest, but the previous version.
BTW, I'm not sure it's available in the stock firmware, but issuing the command "uptime" in the CLI will show you how long the present system has been running.
(Should be in stock - it appears to be part of busbox).
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Enabled Telnet and that does work, using the uptime command.

WiFi drop out issue had been around since quite sometime ago, not something new. I first discovered it on 68U after updating to a new stock FW. Slowly I figured out the problem was due to WiFi channel changed at router end. Ever since I fixed the WiFi channel I never encounter such issue in 68U and 86U, both stock FW and latest Merlin FW 384.19.

I saw you post previously and I had fixed my WiFi channel as well as disabling the type of beamforming and Mu MiMo, as well as other settings suggested to aid the issue. Still this morning the 2.4Ghz radio simply stopped transmitting or receiving, the SSID still being broadcast.
For me this only seemed to start happening since the 384.19 firmware was used. That might be coincidence or there could be merit to the thought that changes made by Asus in the Wireless aspect of their firmware could be contributing to the issue.
What I do know is that since November 2017 I have used each released version of Merlin's firmware and had no persistent issues with WiFi.
There is a thread here similar to the issue I have noted...

an older thread here...

For me the issue with the router seems to be only related to the 2.4Ghz radio, everything else seems fine. No clues in the log when that radio fails.

For some reason, I can no longer connect to my VPN service on 384.19 (RT-AC86U). I receive under service status "Error - check configuration!" within the VPN Client Tab.

Sys Log says:
Code:
Sep 29 12:13:04 ovpn-client1[15579]: Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)
Sep 29 12:13:04 ovpn-client1[15579]: Use --help for more information.
Sep 29 12:13:04 openvpn: Starting OpenVPN client 1 failed!
I made sure to backup the JFFS partition first. In fact I formatted it post restoration as instructed. I've restored the router back to factory settings too, so a clean flash.

I've also tried manually pasting in the Static Key and Certificate Authority from the NordVPN UDP .ovpn file to no avail (which I've not ever needed to do before anyway). Not that it works! Once pasted, saved and I click apply at the bottom of the page, if I go back into the edit page for Crypto settings, everything I'd pasted is no longer there.

Any ideas please?

Last edited:
Sadly the 2.4Ghz radio only lasted a couple of days.....

Setting it this time to a fixed channel was enough to get the radio working again.

I will try the default firmware just to test that. I assume that can be flashed without issue over Merlin's....? I have never used the std firmware but I realise that I'll need to make alternative arrangements for policy based routing.

EDIT: Can anyone familiar with the default firmware tell me where the "Tools" equivalent would be to find uptime, JFFS information etc...? Can't seem to find it, never used std firmware before. Thanks

Spoke to ASUS and the support agent took my detail, still under the three years warranty. He advised me to downgrade the firmware as they have had calls related to the current firmware giving such issues.
I'll try that and if the issue is still present I can return the almost three years old router to Amazon.
Uptime should be on the log page. Only way to see jffs is to enable ssh access in admin then use Winscp or a command line ssh tool. You may not be able to downgrade the stock Asus firmware as it currently has an auto upgrade feature.

For some reason, I can no longer connect to my VPN service on 384.19 (RT-AC86U). I receive under service status "Error - check configuration!" within the VPN Client Tab.

Sys Log says:
Code:
Sep 29 12:13:04 ovpn-client1[15579]: Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)
Sep 29 12:13:04 ovpn-client1[15579]: Use --help for more information.
Sep 29 12:13:04 openvpn: Starting OpenVPN client 1 failed!
I made sure to backup the JFFS partition first. In fact I formatted it post restoration as instructed. I've restored the router back to factory settings too, so a clean flash.

I've also tried manually pasting in the Static Key and Certificate Authority from the NordVPN UDP .ovpn file to no avail (which I've not ever needed to do before anyway). Not that it works! Once pasted, saved and I click apply at the bottom of the page, if I go back into the edit page for Crypto settings, everything I'd pasted is no longer there.

Any ideas please?
Check to see if jffs is mounted.

Whether it has any merit with the recent problems that has been troublesome for me, seemingly since using the 384.19 firmware, I'll wait to see.
384.19 uses stock GPL 81992 and binaries for the AC86U, so this would be equivalent of Asus’ “previous” firmware (82072 is their latest).

Uptime should be on the log page. Only way to see jffs is to enable ssh access in admin then use Winscp or a command line ssh tool. You may not be able to downgrade the stock Asus firmware as it currently has an auto upgrade feature.

Thanks, originally I used the very latest firmware, stock.
After I was asked to manually change to the previous I did this without issue.
Thanks about the SSH use.

384.19 uses stock GPL 81992 and binaries for the AC86U, so this would be equivalent of Asus’ “previous” firmware (82072 is their latest).

Ah I was not aware of that. Perhaps their support agent wasn't, as when I told him the version of stock firmware that I was using he asked me to downgrade a revision. I did not know if by using the Merlin firmware that might compromise my warranty. Hence my return to stock before I rang.

I didn't realise that Merlins 384.19 is actually based on the previous stock firmware 81192, for Wireless in particular.
So the latest stock being 82072 is newer and different. I'll try that.

At least I have choices due to the warranty if it is an hardware issue.

Thanks for drawing that to my attention.

Last edited:
hello I have a problem with the latest firmware version RT-AX88U_384.19
It is impossible for me to connect to the 5 GHz network with 2 tablets of the same brand. It concerns the Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite
1 can connect but the other cannot. And if I take the other off again, the one that could not connect can connect again.
I also run into problems with all my tuya devices that are connected to the wifi. That they are no longer visible via google home hub. I have already reset the router to factory settings but unfortunately this does not work.
If I put the standard asus firmware on my router, all this works. Maybe someone has an idea what it could be or is it a firmware bug.
Ps: sorry for my bad english i used google translate because i am from the netherlands

I saw you post previously and I had fixed my WiFi channel as well as disabling the type of beamforming and Mu MiMo, as well as other settings suggested to aid the issue. Still this morning the 2.4Ghz radio simply stopped transmitting or receiving, the SSID still being broadcast.
For me this only seemed to start happening since the 384.19 firmware was used. That might be coincidence or there could be merit to the thought that changes made by Asus in the Wireless aspect of their firmware could be contributing to the issue.
What I do know is that since November 2017 I have used each released version of Merlin's firmware and had no persistent issues with WiFi.
There is a thread here similar to the issue I have noted...

an older thread here...

For me the issue with the router seems to be only related to the 2.4Ghz radio, everything else seems fine. No clues in the log when that radio fails.

Sad to hear you still having issues.
I hope my router remains stable.
Please let me know what the solution will be to this problem.

Why doesn’t the firmware interface show clients transfer rates?

Attachments

• WiFi 10-2020.jpg
    WiFi 10-2020.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 165
Why doesn’t the firmware interface show clients transfer rates?

It never has if you want to see that information you need to go to QOS tab, then bandwith monitor and put on Apps analysis

I'm on 384.17, is it safe to just dirty upgrade? Or there is a better way?

Thanks.
All depends. If you have an AC86U just stay with 384.17. If you are brave do a backup of your settings and /jffs before trying an upgrade. I started with 384.17 then 384.18 and then 384.19. I did this from a minimal setup of 384.17 after a factory reset.

All depends. If you have an AC86U just stay with 384.17. If you are brave do a backup of your settings and /jffs before trying an upgrade. I started with 384.17 then 384.18 and then 384.19. I did this from a minimal setup of 384.17 after a factory reset.

I am using AC68U. I was having issue pair mesh for version 384.17 and was hoping there is improvement on this on 384.19. Thanks.

FYI, I also set the other WiFi options to fixed option other than fixed channel, such that the router will not keep on scanning and trying to find other 'optimal' options.

1601434958022.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!