What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5, RT-AC87R: IPV6 will not work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wellll..
I have never seen any device that does that, because it would require the device to keep two separate copy of is whole firmware. A factory default reset on virtually any device only affects the volatile configuration, not the running operating system.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Well..... What do I know, I am no expert in these matters, this is why I need help figuring this kind of stuff out.

I am going to replace the modem and see if that fixes things, but my fear is if that will not solve the issue, then I will be stuck.

Wellll..

Well..... What do I know, I am no expert in these matters, this is why I need help figuring this kind of stuff out.

I am going to replace the modem and see if that fixes things, but my fear is if that will not solve the issue, then I will be stuck.
You won’t be stuck. IPv4 will be fine for years to come.

I don’t have IPv6 turned on here, because in my case ping times and speeds aren’t as consistent with it on. Charter Spectrum is having issues with IPv6 and you could be in an area that’s experiencing those issues.

There’s a large thread over at DSL Reports in their Spectrum forum about IPv6 issues.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31993406-TWC-Spectrum-IPv6-broken

Thanks for help to all who replied, especially scjr, I appreciate that you took time to help me.

Sadly, I never could get the IPV6 to work. As I wrote above, I did finally get the router to not totally drop internet access when I enabled IPV6, however, I could never navigate to any IPV6-only sites. Also, I discovered that several apps on both my desktop and on my Android devices were unable to obtain any internet access while I had IPV6 enabled on my Asus router. So, I decided to throw in the towel, and disabled IPV6 on my router.

At this point I don't know if I have some incorrect obscure IPV6 setting on the router that is a problem, or if the router itself is just broken, or if I need a new modem, or if my ISP is the problem - or some combination of those possibilities.

Some reading this may wonder, Why did he even bother? Well, here's my message in a bottle to others, a cautionary tale:

I am no technical expert, so I put faith in those who are. I read numerous articles from reputable tech publications that stated: (1) IPV6 is coming for sure, and will eventually take over; and therefore, (2) You might as well get ready now; and, (3) It is EASY to do, all you need to do is enable the IPV6 setting on your router.

Believing them, I tried it, and when it did not work, my first thought was that I was doing something wrong. But, after LOTS of wasted time, and breaking many things, I came to the realization that maybe the whole IPV6 thing aint ready for prime time yet for the common man, and maybe the articles I read reflected nothing more than nerd enthusiasm.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!